Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s not just coaching. Resigning Banner, signing Haeg, bringing back Finney. Those are part of the problem too. 

There’s definitely a talent deficiency at that position group, but none of these are outwardly bad examples of roster building. 

Teams need depth. Haeg and Finney were both signed as vets with starter experience and ability to play multiple positions on the cheap. Not crazy. Neither were assumed to need to play a huge role. 

Banner was resigned assuming rebound from an injury that happened nearly a full year ago (generally speaking more than enough time). He won the starting gig the year before and followed the same path quality starters like Beachum and Villy followed. Again, not crazy. 

The worst thing that happened to this position group was losing two perceived starters after they could reasonably do anything about it. 

Edited by Dcash4

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

There’s definitely a talent deficiency at that position group, but none of these are outwardly bad examples of roster building. 

Teams need depth. Haeg and Finney were both signed as vets with starter experience and ability to play multiple positions on the cheap. Not crazy. Neither were assumed to need to play a huge role. 

Banner was resigned assuming rebound from an injury that happened nearly a full year ago (generally speaking more than enough time). He won the starting gig the year before and followed the same path quality starters like Beachum and Villy followed. Again, not crazy. 

The worst thing that happened to this position group was losing two perceived starters after they could reasonably do anything about it. 

Yea bringing in 1 perceived starter and 2 depth pieces for a combined $5 mill cap hit isn’t really a problem in my eyes...depth was needed.

• Like 1

What is everyone’s opinion on Haden after the season? I liked what he brought to the table last game. He got cooked outside but he looked feisty when playing inside. Couple of major plays. I think he’s expressed his unwillingness to move to safety in the past, but I think his skill set looks a lot more suitable at safety in the future. His days as primary boundary corner are probably close to over. I wonder if he retires? 

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The issue is they just generally aren’t Good. Yea they are cheap but they were for a reason. 

32 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What is everyone’s opinion on Haden after the season? I liked what he brought to the table last game. He got cooked outside but he looked feisty when playing inside. Couple of major plays. I think he’s expressed his unwillingness to move to safety in the past, but I think his skill set looks a lot more suitable at safety in the future. His days as primary boundary corner are probably close to over. I wonder if he retires? 

I think someone else pays him more than we’re willing to pay. Wouldn’t be shocked if he did something like latch on with KC or LAR cheap to try to hitch a ride to a ring. 

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The issue is they just generally aren’t Good. Yea they are cheap but they were for a reason. 

You just described every backup that has ever signed on to be a backup in the entire league….this isn’t a Kevin Colbert thing….

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d see if he take a 1 year deal(maybe a fluff 2nd year if you wanna space out the bonus $$$ cap hit).

All I know is that they need 2 more outside CBs(maybe 1 if they resign Haden)...Sutton probably better suited in the slot going forward)

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Its hard to really say how good/bad he is.    

He was obviously a massive downgrade from Munch, but I feel like most OL coaches are.    The pass blocking remained pretty decent until this year when we lost everyone.

Im not saying Klemm is a good coach, but I dont necessarily blame him for many of the OL issues.   Not sure any OL coach could've done much with this years line.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Can I give you the great “what if”? 

Feilers contract was a cap hit of $5mil. What if we had him starting at RT, and Chucks as the swing tackle or LT. Moore learning. Banner at swing. That’s much better than Haeg and Finney especially with Feilers positional flexibility. 

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Can I give you the great “what if”? 

Feilers contract was a cap hit of $5mil. What if we had him starting at RT, and Chucks as the swing tackle or LT. Moore learning. Banner at swing. That’s much better than Haeg and Finney especially with Feilers positional flexibility. 

Maybe Feiler didn’t want to come back?