Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I pretty much agree.     

However, Im not really sure whats going to be out there in terms of DBs thats really going to have an immediate impact.     Stephon Gilmore?  JC Jackson would be awesome, but he isnt leaving New England.  Donte Jackson would be great too, but he will likely get tagged or resigned.   Maybe a trade?     I dont know.    They may bring Haden back on a short deal, but thats not enough.   

Ideally, we bring Haden back for another year, bring in another starting caliber CB (maybe bring Nelson back?), and draft someone in the first 3 rounds.

Of course, we need a replacement for Edmunds.   He might come back cheap, but he is JAG.    Keanu Neal might be a good replacement, if Dallas doesnt keep him around.

There are options on the interior for upgrades, but not much great on the ends.    There are a few guys like Leno who would be decent stop gaps at LT, but like only for a year....maybe 2.

And just a quick addition, when it comes to QB...people need to scratch Bridgewater off our list.     He is just too fragile IMO and our line, regardless of who we get this offseason, will still be a question mark.     Im hoping Vegas parts with Derek Carr.    I wouldnt mind bringing him on as a stop gap.   I doubt Id draft any QB in the first 3 rounds this year unless we get an extra 3rd for Dupree, which will likely be a 4th rd pick.

I think they’re gonna try to resign Edmunds to a decent deal but draft a S in the 3rd or 4th..the Steelers have a habit of double dipping at certain positions.

I’d try to resign Haden to a 1 year deal(maybe a “fluff” 2nd year) but try to target another CB to stabilize the other side...maybe try to resign Witherspoon cheaply if you can’t get Haden.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Donte Jackson would be great too, but he will likely get tagged or resigned

I like Jackson because I think its realistic he makes it to FA. Your absolutely right about JC Jackson -- I think he ultimately gets tagged. The Panthers just drafted a top 8 CB, they traded for CJ Henderson, and they acquired Stephon Gilmore and AJ Bouye. I just hope they don't think paying Jackson is worth it at this time. 

Carlton Davis from the Bucs is another one. They have a list of big name, big dollar dudes. Could he slip through the cracks so they take care of others? I think its possible. 

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Ideally, we bring Haden back for another year, bring in another starting caliber CB (maybe bring Nelson back?), and draft someone in the first 3 rounds.

Kinda hoping his continued injury history and him seemingly genuinely enjoying playing here leads to a team friendly deal to end his career with us. But I absolutely agree. If we could sign one of those FA bring back Joe, and then draft a guy in the top 100....I like where we are. 

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I'm hoping Vegas parts with Derek Carr. 

Totally agree...and I think it could happen. Feels like they are headed for a total turnover with the whole Gruden and Mayock thing and they seemingly love Mariota. Could also be a destination for an Aaron Rodgers/Russell Wilson which causes a ripple effect. 

35 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think so too. He’s only 24. He’s not shown a lot, but I think he’s at least improved every year.

Yeah, no one may categorize him as good…but he also isn’t terrible. Just meh. But he is one of the youngest T free agents and can play both LT and RT. Also probably won’t command much of a contract. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah, no one may categorize him as good…but he also isn’t terrible. Just meh. But he is one of the youngest T free agents and can play both LT and RT. Also probably won’t command much of a contract. 

I think he gets a decent 2nd contract that surprises us...maybe like the Sutton/Banner deals last off season...small year 1 hit but the 2nd jumps a lot but can easily get out of with little dead $$$.

Maybe something like 2/$12 but it’s backloaded...Banners last offseason was 2/$9 mill but he can be cut this offseason abd save $5mill Against cap.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think he gets a decent 2nd contract that surprises us...maybe like the Sutton/Banner deals last off season...small year 1 hit but the 2nd jumps a lot but can easily get out of with little dead $$$.

Maybe something like 2/$12 but it’s backloaded...Banners last offseason was 2/$9 mill but he can be cut this offseason abd save $5mill Against cap.

I like to call that the Chickillo. Signed a 2 year, $8m contract…but we paid him $3 and cut him. 

Flexibility to earn a higher pay day, but also be protected if that player doesn’t work out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Which means some super needy OL team will overpay him. 

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Which means some super needy OL team will overpay him. 

And he will get some actual NFL offensive line coaching and turn into a pro bowler. 

Kidding...kinda...but probably not really. 

But hey, if Chuks counts in anyway towards our comp picks....gimme!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I know nothing about potential o-line coaches, but if he goes I hope we get a good one. 

They needed to go get Doug Marrone last year, so maybe this is their re-do opportunity. I really, really hope Klemm gets poached because Tomlin wont fire him. 

I defend Green's upside, but it's hard to say at any point that Green and Moore have improved through this year. IMO thats a direct correlation with coaching. I ultimately think this coaching staff has done them a disservice to force them into action so quickly, but it is what it is. You look at good position coaches and they get players to maximize their talents and they show improvement. Keith Butler is an okay DC, but he is a terrific OLB coach. After they made him a position coach again post-Porter we saw jumps in Dupree and Watt and now Highsmith too. I think you can also credit Dunbar a bit for that as they work with the DL too (and he has gotten some extra gear out of his guys). 

Coaching staff is one of my biggest gripes with Tomlin and Klemm leaving voluntarily, in my mind, is a great opportunity to clean up a mess from an internal hire for a group that was going to be young and whose growth was/is pivotal moving forward

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I ultimately think this coaching staff has done them a disservice to force them into action so quickly, but it is what it is

It’s not just coaching. Resigning Banner, signing Haeg, bringing back Finney. Those are part of the problem too.