Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am for drafting an OT ( perhaps Penning) to solve one of those issues.  I am almost to the point of drafting OT and OG in the 1st 2 rounds

Regardless of Ben being back I’m starting to build for the next QB. No skill positions on offense. OL and DBs is my early target. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

You’re right, one player is definitely not fixing it. It’ll need two high draft picks or one and a FA signing. 

Depends on the FA signings.  If they resign Chuks it helps but they still need a RT ( IMHO).  Someone said that RG is the easiest/best  to improve and I agree.  Again, Fa or a high draft choice.  But I would take a OT in the one of the 1st 2 rounds no matter what.

They needs some higher draft choices to rebuild.  I just do not see it in their DNA to tank for any picks.

Edited by jebrick

Just now, jebrick said:

Depends on the FA signings.  If they resign Chuks it helps but they still need a RT ( IMHO).  Someone said that RG is the easiest/best  to improve and I agree.  Again, Fa or a high draft choice.  But I would take a OT in the one of the 1st 2 rounds no matter what.

Something to keep in mind with this: Colbert (if back) shies away from vets that are 30+ years old. Majority of the OL FAs is 30+. Signing one of them is kinda short term. 

Just now, warfelg said:

Something to keep in mind with this: Colbert (if back) shies away from vets that are 30+ years old. Majority of the OL FAs is 30+. Signing one of them is kinda short term. 

That is normally because the older OL are cheaper and they have not had a lot of cap.  That is about to change.  This may be the first season with some real cap space in 15 years for the Steelers.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

That is normally because the older OL are cheaper and they have not had a lot of cap.  That is about to change.  This may be the first season with some real cap space in 15 years for the Steelers.

My statement doesn’t have much to do with cap. It’s the philosophy. 

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Armstead/Fischer/Leno IIRC close to 30 so they should have a few years...Whitworth would definitely be a 1 year stopgap with you having to use a 1st or 2nd to groom a guy anyways.

5 hours ago, AFF said:

Armstead/Fischer/Leno IIRC close to 30 so they should have a few years...Whitworth would definitely be a 1 year stopgap with you having to use a 1st or 2nd to groom a guy anyways.

My perfect world is that I would like them to sign a starter quality LT in FA who has RT abilities and can transition when we use a top 50 pick on our future LT. Rookie plays LT, FA starter moves to RT -- we improved 2 spaces. 

Knowing that probably doesn't work (I'm not sure there is a LT/RT guy available).... Leno would be my ideal fit. Shouldn't be on the high end spend wise, but a 2 year agreement would be clutch to allow us more runway with draft assets. 

I am very curious to see how the Steelers approach Free Agency this year. We have never had this roster flexibility before and they don't play for the future -- they try to win each year. They have signed older guys for shorter deals like Mark Barron and Wisniewski recently. Also had Flozel Adams before, so it's not like it's never happened. 

Connor Williams LG, Charles Leno LT, Donte Jackson/Carlton Davis CB, Justin Reid S would be my ideal top of the list. And I would hope to double dip on OT and DB within the first 100 picks.

You can't build a competitive line with rookies alone, so I def see them looking for one 
splash type FA to compliment a double dip in the draft.

We need starters, but also depth.
I think our depth is barley serviceable, personally. 
I think Chuks and others have shown they're not starters.

Conor WIlliams is really interesting. We do have the money to splash on B.Scherff if we wanted to.
L.Tomlinson isn't bad in the interior.

How good would Jessie Bates and Minkah look at the back? Won't happen, but still.

3 hours ago, mwalker said:

You can't build a competitive line with rookies alone, so I def see them looking for one 
splash type FA to compliment a double dip in the draft.

We need starters, but also depth.
I think our depth is barley serviceable, personally. 
I think Chuks and others have shown they're not starters.

Conor WIlliams is really interesting. We do have the money to splash on B.Scherff if we wanted to.
L.Tomlinson isn't bad in the interior.

How good would Jessie Bates and Minkah look at the back? Won't happen, but still.

Bates would be really nice but probably not going to happen...I truthfully think they resign Edmunds to a decent deal but take it year by year and can get it out of it if they need to.

I think they pay up for a guy...I think they’ll try to resign Chuks as well.

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

My perfect world is that I would like them to sign a starter quality LT in FA who has RT abilities and can transition when we use a top 50 pick on our future LT. Rookie plays LT, FA starter moves to RT -- we improved 2 spaces. 

Knowing that probably doesn't work (I'm not sure there is a LT/RT guy available).... Leno would be my ideal fit. Shouldn't be on the high end spend wise, but a 2 year agreement would be clutch to allow us more runway with draft assets. 

I am very curious to see how the Steelers approach Free Agency this year. We have never had this roster flexibility before and they don't play for the future -- they try to win each year. They have signed older guys for shorter deals like Mark Barron and Wisniewski recently. Also had Flozel Adams before, so it's not like it's never happened. 

Connor Williams LG, Charles Leno LT, Donte Jackson/Carlton Davis CB, Justin Reid S would be my ideal top of the list. And I would hope to double dip on OT and DB within the first 100 picks.

The always be competitive aspect I’d interesting...they could be more aggressive than most expect.

I just think you gotta pay for at least 1 OL and 1 DB...then do as you wish with the rest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AFF said:

The always be competitive aspect I’d interesting...they could be more aggressive than most expect.

I just think you gotta pay for at least 1 OL and 1 DB...then do as you wish with the rest.

I pretty much agree.     

However, Im not really sure whats going to be out there in terms of DBs thats really going to have an immediate impact.     Stephon Gilmore?  JC Jackson would be awesome, but he isnt leaving New England.  Donte Jackson would be great too, but he will likely get tagged or resigned.   Maybe a trade?     I dont know.    They may bring Haden back on a short deal, but thats not enough.   

Ideally, we bring Haden back for another year, bring in another starting caliber CB (maybe bring Nelson back?), and draft someone in the first 3 rounds.

Of course, we need a replacement for Edmunds.   He might come back cheap, but he is JAG.    Keanu Neal might be a good replacement, if Dallas doesnt keep him around.

There are options on the interior for upgrades, but not much great on the ends.    There are a few guys like Leno who would be decent stop gaps at LT, but like only for a year....maybe 2.

And just a quick addition, when it comes to QB...people need to scratch Bridgewater off our list.     He is just too fragile IMO and our line, regardless of who we get this offseason, will still be a question mark.     Im hoping Vegas parts with Derek Carr.    I wouldnt mind bringing him on as a stop gap.   I doubt Id draft any QB in the first 3 rounds this year unless we get an extra 3rd for Dupree, which will likely be a 4th rd pick.

• Like 1