Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

Not my post but too good not to repeat

The Steelers have not drafted an Offensive linemen in the 1st or 2nd rounds in 10 years.
The Steelers have not drafted an Offensive lineman in the 1st or 2nd rounds in.............A DECADE

The Steelers went into the draft KNOWING, that they would not be returning ALL 5 starters from opening day 2020.
AV, MF, MO, DD, ZB...... Banner started as the RT opening game in 2020.

In the last 9 drafts....the Steelers have drafted TWO offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
Two, 3rd rounders....pick 87 Green and pick 92 in Chucks.

28 picks in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds in the last 9 years ......... TWO 3RD ROUND OL PICKS

So we wonder why the offensive line has been the biggest problem for this team in 2021.

Draft 2 OL in the first 4 picks.
DL with another top 4 pick.
ILB / CB / SS with the 4th of top 4 picks.

• Like 1

Kenyon Green would help this team so much. An absolute stud run and pass blocker. I think he'd have a Quentin Nelson type impact on our offense. I think Dotson, Moore, and Kenyon Green would be a nasty core to build an offense around. A lot of dominate run blockers. Najee would have canyons to run though. They're all decent enough pass blockers to keep a young QB healthy too. I think Dotson staying healthy all year would have helped Moore immensely. Neal and Ekwonu could be big for us too. I love Cross too but as a pass blocker, but his lack of power in the run game leaves me a little underwhelmed.  He's maybe the best pure pass protector in the class. I don't think an elite pass blocker influences the game as much as a dominant run blocker. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Kenyon Green would help this team so much. An absolute stud run and pass blocker. I think he'd have a Quentin Nelson type impact on our offense. I think Dotson, Moore, and Kenyon Green would be a nasty core to build an offense around. A lot of dominate run blockers. Najee would have canyons to run though. They're all decent enough pass blockers to keep a young QB healthy too. I think Dotson staying healthy all year would have helped Moore immensely. Neal and Ekwonu could be big for us too. I love Cross too but as a pass blocker, but his lack of power in the run game leaves me a little underwhelmed.  He's maybe the best pure pass protector in the class. I don't think an elite pass blocker influences the game as much as a dominant run blocker. 

I’m hot on the OG from OSU Thayer. I think he’s gonna get dinged for being so tall for a guard (6’6”) but dear lord. He MOVES people. He’s got toss you out the club ability. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m hot on the OG from OSU Thayer. I think he’s gonna get dinged for being so tall for a guard (6’6”) but dear lord. He MOVES people. He’s got toss you out the club ability. 

Your turn to get out of my head.  I like Thayer in the 2nd or 3rd.  I would love to add a ton of beef in the trenches in this draft.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I like a tackle sized guard. I really liked John Simpson coming out of Clemson. I can’t remember if that was last year or the year before.

Wasn't sure where exactly to put this, but it falls into the Off-season topic I guess. 

Did anyone actual here this interview this AM? Ben has always been a dude who protects his O-Line in the media, so the Dan Moore comment really isn't groundbreaking....but the Kendrick Green comment is interesting. I am just curious if this was more of a miss-quote where he says "He is going to be a good center, but if it doesn't work out he would be a good guard" or if he just straight up offered that Green should move positions. 

One of those is far more interesting than the other. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Wasn't sure where exactly to put this, but it falls into the Off-season topic I guess. 

Did anyone actual here this interview this AM? Ben has always been a dude who protects his O-Line in the media, so the Dan Moore comment really isn't groundbreaking....but the Kendrick Green comment is interesting. I am just curious if this was more of a miss-quote where he says "He is going to be a good center, but if it doesn't work out he would be a good guard" or if he just straight up offered that Green should move positions. 

One of those is far more interesting than the other. 

I heard that part and the quote is certainly parsed together.   His comments on Moore were nice, but he was talking more about the potential of being a LT for a long time. 

The Kendrick Green one however....is close to what he said.  He was very PC in his way of saying it but he said that playing C takes a unique set of skills and Green could be freed up and dominate by playing G instead so the responsibilities change.

I think effectively he was trying to say Moore needs a bunch of time to become better, Green shouldn't be a center, but could be effective at G.

Also I want Mason gone for trying to take Ben's moment:

• Like 1

Green is athletic enough to be an outstanding center.  He needs more strength.  Let him add 15 lbs of muscle in the off season and we will see.  At this point I do not see what would make him a dominate OG as he would have the same issues as he had at center.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Green is athletic enough to be an outstanding center.  He needs more strength.  Let him add 15 lbs of muscle in the off season and we will see.  At this point I do not see what would make him a dominate OG as he would have the same issues as he had at center.

Based on the records he holds at Illinois in the weight room, strength isn't necessarily the problem, but understanding how to use it is. 

Agreed on seeing the same issues at guard, but at least it would simplify things. He looks so overwhelmed at Center...at least guard would take responsibilities off his plate. 

Which seeing the quotes -- IMO, that's where Ben is probably coming from. He sees how overwhelmed he has been the entire year playing behind Green and is probably saying let the guy think less and just play ball.