Way too early 2022 offseason thoughts

warfelg

13 minutes ago, AFF said:

Slightly OT but Steelers can create $7.75 mill in cap room by having Ben officially retire after June 1st....basically either eat that $7.75 mill in 2022 or 2023.

Just found it interesting.

I would rather they just eat it all at once if they can -- opens up more room in the future. But just shows the continued flexibility. This team can pretty reasonably make big changes, just a matter of if they want to. 

16 minutes ago, AFF said:

Slightly OT but Steelers can create $7.75 mill in cap room by having Ben officially retire after June 1st....basically either eat that $7.75 mill in 2022 or 2023.

Just found it interesting.

This is what the Saints did with Brees. If you can eat it at once, I'd just do that (This is doubly true if the team is rolling with Rudolph as the QB). You can't use that money until 6/1 anyway, so it's best used as rollover or contract extensions. 

11 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I would rather they just eat it all at once if they can -- opens up more room in the future. But just shows the continued flexibility. This team can pretty reasonably make big changes, just a matter of if they want to. 

😏

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is what the Saints did with Brees. If you can eat it at once, I'd just do that (This is doubly true if the team is rolling with Rudolph as the QB). You can't use that money until 6/1 anyway, so it's best used as rollover or contract extensions. 

The Steelers like to have about $7-8 mill for in season stuff etc etc and if they don’t use it(like they did this year) they just roll it over to the following year.

Works for me.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Have to appreciate having the fortitude to just snap a decision off like that. 

Will see if it sticks, but damn. 

We have talked about what would happen if Rudolph starts next year for a long time.  I do not think there is anyone that would see a massive improvement.  Consider that Big Ben had 6 4th quarter come backs this year. No one has seen that ability from Rudolph so that could be a 3-14 record.  3-6 wins is still top 10 pick in the draft