Week 13 GDT - Seattle Seahawks vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't play calling was the issue. We just kept getting stuck inside the 10 yard line and it was hard to move the ball against an UNDERRATED defense, right @Forge😂

Huh? No, it wasn't all that hard to move the ball when we were throwing it and we were 1/2 in the red zone with the only failure coming on the last drive (I stated very clearly how I felt about the playcalling there when the team basically just seemed to give up two downs to limit themselves to third and 4th) ? Confused on what you're saying here. 

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I bet there's a fair amount of panic and complaining about the officiating. I tend to stay even keeled

You'd be surprised.

I don't think that there's any panic to have. This team is what it is.

I was surprised by the limited amount of complaining about the refs. In the moment, sure. But I don't think that too many people are actually laying a sizable percentage of the loss at the hands of the refs. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Huh? No, it wasn't all that hard to move the ball when we were throwing it and we were 1/2 in the red zone with the only failure coming on the last drive (I stated very clearly how I felt about the playcalling there when the team basically just seemed to give up two downs to limit themselves to third and 4th) ? Confused on what you're saying here. 

Rudy is basically blaming Kyle's play calling but really it was where we started majority of our drives in the 2nd half. Play calling really wasn't the issue, unless you have gripes on running it on the last drive or the 4th down play call that ended up being whistled dead before it even started. 

• Like 1

This is why blaming the play calling doesn't really do it for me. This should have been an EASY TD. Sherfield could have had a TD on the INT Jimmy threw...Juice could have had a TD on a overthrow from Jimmy...Just bad execution and costly penalties did us in. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rudy is basically blaming Kyle's play calling but really it was where we started majority of our drives in the 2nd half. Play calling really wasn't the issue, unless you have gripes on running it on the last drive or the 4th down play call that ended up being whistled dead before it even started. 

Oh yeah. Agreed. I mean, I have major issues the first two plays from the 7 on the last drive. I've stated my case there. Just a philosophical difference with Shanny there, I guess. I would not have kicked over to the run there. 

I also don't know what the hell he was doing on the zone read (maybe if was a zone read rpo?) but those are the only three plays I really had a problem with. 

The field position in the second half was brutal and because of that, Shanny wanted to protect the ball and called 5 out of 6 plays as runs. I have a hard time faulting him for that considering that hte one time we didn't. Tom Compton got absolutely destroyed and there was a safety lol 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is why blaming the play calling doesn't really do it for me. This should have been an EASY TD. Sherfield could have had a TD on the INT Jimmy threw...Juice could have had a TD on a overthrow from Jimmy...Just bad execution and costly penalties did us in. 

Dunlap made a play. A really good play. 

You and I may disagree about the quality of that defense overall, but they stepped up there. 

I agree that this game is mostly on the team. Unforced errors galore. Both picks were just horrendous from that perspective. The missed throw / catch to Aiyuk. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dunlap made a play. A really good play. 

You and I may disagree about the quality of that defense overall, but they stepped up there. 

I agree that this game is mostly on the team. Unforced errors galore. Both picks were just horrendous from that perspective. The missed throw / catch to Aiyuk. 

The coaching staff always gets blamed for undisciplined penalties so they deserve their fair share of blame but man did the players make some stupid mistakes. I still have no idea what Key was doing there? That was the dumbest thing I've seen and then Johnson's penalty when Williams already had the receiver wrapped up? Like what are we even doing???? The defense actually wasn't bad but the penalties were killers they kept extending the drives. 

We still probably make the playoffs but a win almost guaranteed a playoff birth and the #6 seed. Oh well....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I never wish anyone getting fired but man Hightower really needs to go. Our STs units are a joke and holding the team back. That should never be the case. Need to replace him at season's end. 

Just read Hightower's wiki page and he played with Kyle at Texas....Now it makes sense! No wonder he still has a job even though his STs unit is absolute trash LOL. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not calling out any particular play call, I'm calling out the play calling philosophy. And I think it's still a matter of experience. I know it has been five years, so it seems stupid to blame inexperience. But coaches evolve all the time. Bill Belichik isn't coaching the same things in 2021 that in 1999. I think we'll see an evolution at some point with Kyle. The play calls I criticized for the most part were the running plays on first and second downs against a stacked box. In principle, those are justifiable. But when it doesn't work, you have to change something. If you go for 1 yard runs, you simply make your third down conversions harder than they need to be. Even if these play calls on third downs were great, it doesn't change the fact that your first two downs made them harder than they needed to be. The harder they are, the lower your odds of converting are. Why take the chance? Why run on the first two downs just on principle, when your run game is already established as the thing you do on your first two downs? I know there's a "keep the clock running" component to it. But you can get a very high percentage pass play in there and maintain the philosophy, while loosening up the box you're running against. I like the plays that are being called in general. I just think the philosophy can be improved. You have to keep good defenses on their toes. The Hawks were never surprised by the play calls, and we couldn't just dominate them like we did with the Jags or the last team we played (what is memory?). The OL just couldn't will out a win, there. And when that happens, you have to play against your opponent's tendencies, which we didn't do.