Week 13 GDT - Seattle Seahawks vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

This one is painful. 

Sherfield is walking into the end zone

He was sooooo open. It was painfully obvious at the time. I think Jimmy just locks in on who he wants to go to and has a hard time moving off of that guy. Super frustrating.

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

He was sooooo open. It was painfully obvious at the time. I think Jimmy just locks in on who he wants to go to and has a hard time moving off of that guy. Super frustrating.

I legitimately just don't know what he saw there. Given the routes overlap within the same line of sight makes it even worse. Like, if you see Kittle, you 100% should see Sherfield. Honestly, that just tells me that he doesn't know what he's looking at on the field

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

I legitimately just don't know what he saw there. Given the routes overlap within the same line of sight makes it even worse. Like, if you see Kittle, you 100% should see Sherfield. Honestly, that just tells me that he doesn't know what he's looking at on the field

It's he predetermines the throw. The first INT was where he should have gone with the ball but he should have waited until Sherfield cleared Wagner. Wait a second and that goes for 20+. But since he just predetermines the throw, he doesn't even see Wagner dropping back in the zone. 

That throw to Aiyuk on the last drive throw>>>>

BTW, don't know if this will be any sort of catharsis for the peanut gallery, but I usually try to catch a couple of the post game pressers after a game. Everyone seemed pretty positive moving forward. I guess the most down was Kyle, but even for as bad as I've seen him this was okay. 

Shanahan Presser

Players Presser

That game overall was stupid and nutty. Even if the 49ers had pulled off the W, it's not one I'd enjoy going back and watching. 6-6 isn't so bad. Dropped to the 7th seed I think? Just gotta stay crisp. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

26 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

BTW, don't know if this will be any sort of catharsis for the peanut gallery, but I usually try to catch a couple of the post game pressers after a game. Everyone seemed pretty positive moving forward. I guess the most down was Kyle, but even for as bad as I've seen him this was okay. 

Shanahan Presser

Players Presser

That game overall was stupid and nutty. Even if the 49ers had pulled off the W, it's not one I'd enjoy going back and watching. 6-6 isn't so bad. Dropped to the 7th seed I think? Just gotta stay crisp. 

Kyle looks like he's exhausted. Idk how much more of Jimmy he can hide and get away with. Dude just pull him and play smart with Trey. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Kyle looks like he's exhausted. Idk how much more of Jimmy he can hide and get away with. Dude just pull him and play smart with Trey. 

He does? After dropping a close nutty game where before his squad had battled back from 2-4 to 6-5? Looks a lot better after the Colts game. 

If Kyle thought Trey would help the team a lot more if he's in as a starter then obviously he'd be playing him. You make it sound like he's being strong-armed into not playing him. Most of the rookie QB play around the league has been bad this year. Trey, maybe the most raw QB prospect taken that high in 40 years is probably just going to need more time to get the offense down to the way Kyle likes it. Playing "smart" with Trey might be worse than playing "smart" with Jimmy. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He does? After dropping a close nutty game where before his squad had battled back from 2-4 to 6-5? 

If Kyle thought Trey would help the team a lot more if he's in as a starter then obviously he'd be playing him. Let's not make it sound like he's being strong-armed into not playing him. Most of the rookie QB play around the league has been bad this year. 

I just find it interesting what he is saying. Again it's not going to happen. I do wonder If Jimmy has a bad game next week if it forces Kyle's hand. 

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I just find it interesting what he is saying. Again it's not going to happen. I do wonder If Jimmy has a bad game next week if it forces Kyle's hand. 

That's a weird take, because he does criticize Jimmy when it's clearly warranted. Just as he has done with many other players. You said Kyle was exhausted, but just mentioned the QB performance as if that was the sole reason he is indeed exhausted. Jimmy didn't have a great game obviously, but the entire squad made dumb mistakes that help lead to the L. And bad injury, turnover, and penalty luck. That's not all on Jimmy. The entire game in many phases probably demoralized Shanny, not just his triggerman. BTW I like that Twitter handle name from the user. Sounds objective to me. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That's a weird take, because he does criticize Jimmy when it's clearly warranted. Just as he has done with many other players. You said Kyle was exhausted, but just mentioned the QB performance as if that was the sole reason he is indeed exhausted. Jimmy didn't have a great game obviously, but the entire squad made dumb mistakes that help lead to the L. And bad injury, turnover, and penalty luck. That's not all on Jimmy. BTW I like that Twitter handle name from the user. Sounds objective to me. 

Oh I'm not saying its soly on Jimmy. It was special team in general  you play like this 99 percent of teams will lose. Defense has it's struggles alot of them but came up alot. Our secondary is going to be a massive issue going forward. Norman is bad enough to be benched but because of Mosley being hurt we have no choice. Not that our backups are any good. I'm just saying Kyle looks exhausted in general. Sorry for not making that clear. And it makes sense I would be toom this game was bad. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread, but if it's anything like twitter, I bet there's a fair amount of panic and complaining about the officiating. I tend to stay even keeled. This was a type of game that wasn't entirely unexpected. We know that we already make things tougher than they need to be against Seattle, and this being a team prone to making mistakes, it was bound to unfold the way it did.  I'm surprised the Seahawks didn't try to throw it deep against our corners more than they did. It was always going to be a tough game to win, just because of the matchups, aka Lockett and Metcalf against our DPIs. Their running game did about as good as it should have, and everything underneath was well defended, and our pass rush gave Russell fits. 

My issue here is about Kyle playcalling in this type of game. We know what he wants to do. Control the clock and suck out their soul with the running game. The thing is, with Jimmy, that leaves him with the task of converting 3rd and shorts over and over. But when they stack the box to stop the run on first and second down, and you have to convert 3rd and longish over and over, and Jimmy's strength is the short-to-intermediate game, and that's exactly the strength of the Seahawks' defense, that gameplan is not sustainable. It works against other teams who can't exactly stifle our run game on the first downs. 3rd and 2 is much different than 3rd and 7. You have more options. You can still run it, so you have the threat of the playaction or the read option that work against the defense. I talked maybe a week ago about the stat we had against the Rams or Jaguars that we ran on first down 23 out of 25 times in one of those games, and that's a tendency we'd have to capitalize on eventually, and I think that should have been yesterday. The hawks stacked the box, so we should have loosened that box by shaking off our tendencies. One of the biggest fallacies out there, and one I'm afraid Kyle is a victim of, is that you need to establish the run to make the playaction game work. The beauty of the playaction is to make a pass play out of a play the defense gear up to defend as a run. You usually establish the run to make the defense think you'll run, so you catch them in a bad position and take advantage of them. We didn't need to run to have the run already established, because the hawks came into the game expecting the run. They lined up as such. They reacted as such. Run a playaction, and you already have all the benefits of having established the run, minus the 1 yard gains. We just spent 3 weeks establishing the run. This football game wasn't in a vacuum where these 3 previous games didn't exist. They existed, and everybody in the NFL knew that we would want to do the same thing to the seahawks. But it wasn't going to work that easily. The Seahawks had their gameplan to stop us, and we should have used that against them. Playaction, get the ball to Kittle and Aiyuk, loosen up the box, then run, then balance it out. 

Their offense was so bad that we managed to take a lead, but Kyle is not good at playcalling with a lead, unless he can completely run over opposing defenses.  Whenever we have a lead against a team with a good run defense, we're in trouble. I'm not in the fire Kyle bandwagon, and I don't think I'll ever be. I don't want to be. I like Kyle. And I don't care about the 10 losses seasons and the disappointments. I think it would take 20 years to find a coach as good as Kyle again. Stick with him, we'll have ups and downs, but hopefully we'll gradually have fewer downs as he gains experience. Andy Reid disappointed his teams' fanbases for 20 years, until he didn't. Kyle will have his struggles, until he won't. And there's a matter of aggressiveness and understand that he can't always just react to other defenses, that he has to attack them, in a balanced way, if he wants to take his playcalling game to another level. I believe he will get there.

I don't really blame the players. Jimmy had two bad interceptions, but we were still in the game. Someone said his throws are predetermined. Well, that's an offense design thing. THe QB has pre-snap reads, and a guy like Carroll understands these things perhaps better than other defensive minds, and he and Norton used it to their advantage. They know that Jimmy wants to get rid of the ball, and perhaps give him the pre-snap read he wants. On the Wagner pick, he was rushing the line pre-snap, then immediately dropped back. They know that with Jimmy at QB, the progression probably starts at an intermediate route, then goes to the checkdown, as opposed to a QB like Wilson, Rodgers, Allen or Mahommes, whose progressions might start at a deep route, then intermediate, then checkdown. When you condense the field, and you confuse the QB's pre-snap read, those plays happen. So yeah, the offense is catered to Jimmy and his limitations, and good defenses will use that. But even with those plays, we were still in the game. Maybe if we don't have such a bad RT, we don't worry about these quick throws based on bad pre-snap reads. So, basically, I blame it on the gameplan. A misunderstanding of our limitations and the other team's strengths. And we were still in it at the end of the 4th quarter, which tells me we're a much better team than the Seahawks.

I know I'll be alone with this statement : but I did really enjoy watching this game. It was very exciting, and all the disappointments didn't lessen my appreciation for that game or for my team. The guys played hard, so hard. Kittle played a great game for us. Al-Shaair played an epic game for us. Gerald Everett was one of our best players. We should be proud of these guys playing .500 ball while only playing 9 players on defense every game (we don't have corners, do we?). I'm proud of those guys. I think we win next week. 

• Like 1

I don't play calling was the issue. We just kept getting stuck inside the 10 yard line and it was hard to move the ball against an UNDERRATED defense, right @Forge😂

But seriously, you start every drive inside the 10 yard line, what do you expect? Even when Jimmy would get us out of there, he would then either turn it over or we would have a drop or commit a penalty. 

The coaching staff had a hand in the game but the players were also bad....Ryans not calling a two man on 3rd and 14 still makes NO sense to me at all. YOU KNOW THE SEAHAWKS LIKE RUNNING GO ROUTES IN THAT SITUATION AND YOU ARE GOING TO PUT LENOIR IN SINGLE COVERAGE VS METCALF?? Really?