Which of these teams has the bleakest future?

biggie.

Which of these teama has the worst future ahead of them?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Houston Texans
    • Carolina Panthers
    • Atlanta Falcons
    • Seattle Seahawks
    • Other, Specify

33 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean the fact that they have these two players I think should keep them from being the franchise with the bleakest future lol.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult I am just saying that Seattle is nowhere near in the same tier of bleakness as franchises that have terrible owners, no QB and no star players.

So you have an aging Russell Wilson and an aging Bobby Wagner. You have no draft capital, lots of bad contracts and a complete lack of talent elsewhere because you can't draft with the capital you DID have.

How do you rebuild that?

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Read it all! I like how I wrote words on this one!

But, like, it's too many words!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Which they'll proceed to waste on guys similar to Sony Michel, N'Keal Harry, etc. Draft capital means nothing when you have a group of guys who don't know how to evaluate talent... and it's not like those guys are going to get fired, they're all on five year deals.

Draft capital following a Russell Wilson trade, two very competent WRs and an ownership consortium that understands that football people need to make football decisions.

That last one is the big one - don't underestimate how one stupid owner will eschew common football sense for "throw it against the wall, see if it sticks" logic of Nick Caserio or the "Say your Prayers and take your vitamins" logic of Jack Easterby. Neither style of management works ANYWHERE - let alone a multi billion dollar football franchise that requires football players who can play football (this sounds simple enough - because it is simple enough - but this is an incredibly difficult concept for the McNair family to grasp, going way back to the Bob McNair days).

Remember - BEFORE the allegations against Deshaun Watson came up, Cal McNair had a choice between a top 5 QB in the NFL coming off of a career year with an incredibly bright future ahead... or an EVP of Football Operations who had no experience with actual football decisions and was only known as a manipulative snake oil salesmen/team chaplain who hides his ignorance behind his own brand of "faith".

Cal WILLINGLY sided with the EVP and defended his decision as the 2nd highest paid player in football history said "yeah, good luck, I'm out..." Say what you will about the legal situation, McNair chose Jack Easterby before Deshaun Watson was an alleged criminal. I get you can't really make an example of siding with a player over FO, but does anyone think Easterby' hypothetical WAR is higher than Watson's WAR? That's a special sort of dumb, one that finds ways to ruin draft capital. I'm pretty much banking on every single pick made by Nick Caserio will be out of the league in six years, given his track record in New England as well as his short track record in Houston... but Caserio and Easterby will still be employed by Cal McNair even after their failures. Because... Texans, or something.

So... yeah. That's what the Texans are dealing with.

As a Texans fan, I was about to say something, but you basically hit it right on yeah. No hope for us atm : (

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So you have an aging Russell Wilson and an aging Bobby Wagner. You have no draft capital, lots of bad contracts and a complete lack of talent elsewhere because you can't draft with the capital you DID have.

How do you rebuild that?

There are plenty of QB's who have played well into their late 30's. There's no reason Wilson can't still be an elite QB for another 5+ years. Which is plenty of time for the Seahawks to rebuild. 

The Seahawks rebuild themselves by moving on from the current coaching staff/front office and making the right hires this offseason. If they nail this offseason they could turn things around in a hurry. Missing their first round pick hurts but they will have early 2nd/3rd round picks which you can absolutely use to replenish your roster with talent.

Once again - I don't see how a franchise with a HOF QB who very realistically still has 5+ years left in him can have that bleak of a future outlook. The Seahawks obviously have to be very smart going forward but I'd much rather be the Seahawks than like the Texans, Giants, Panthers or Lions.

Edited by Bolts223

Jan 2020, the Texans were hot as a firecracker, up 24-0 on the Chiefs in the Divisional round of the AFC playoffs. Sky was the limit. 

Dec 2021, awful team where the fanbase demands new ownership and wants everyone in the front office gone. 

This collapse in such a short amount of time from 2020 to 2021 has been incredible. Someone needs to write a book. And make a movie. 30 for 30. 

• Like 2

Chucking the Jets name in.

I mean, how many years now? Rinse and repeat cycle of disappointing QB play, bad roster building, poor coaching, inability to win games, lack of talent

Every. Single. Year. 

Seriously without relatively OK outliers like 2009/10….do you have to go back to the 60s for any prolonged period of winning seasons?

20 hours ago, FinSting said:

Jan 2020, the Texans were hot as a firecracker, up 24-0 on the Chiefs in the Divisional round of the AFC playoffs. Sky was the limit. 

Dec 2021, awful team where the fanbase demands new ownership and wants everyone in the front office gone. 

In between these two events is arguably the worst trade in NFL history... and close to 23 cases of sexual assault/misconduct by the 2nd highest paid player in football history.

So yeah - that 30 for 30 is going to be interesting.

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Chucking the Jets name in.

I mean, how many years now? Rinse and repeat cycle of disappointing QB play, bad roster building, poor coaching, inability to win games, lack of talent

Every. Single. Year. 

Seriously without relatively OK outliers like 2009/10….do you have to go back to the 60s for any prolonged period of winning seasons?

To be fair, their future has been bleak since the day Namath went to LA.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

But I think they have, they have the makings of an future elite OL as well as drafted to highly rated DT in Alim Mitchell and Levi Onwuzurike, they just need to continue to build and play together, heck in two years they could be in the playoffs. 

Plus I think that is twice as much as what he Texans have, they purposely got rid of any talent they had in anticipation of them being bad. The Texans are as close to an expansion team as you will see 

Yep.  I like how Detroit is building up the trenches.  That's how you build a good team, IMO.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 11:27 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

No offense to Lions fans. And I am rooting for the Lions because I feel bad for them.  But once they kickoff their opening kick each season they are out of contention for the playoffs. 

So underrated when it comes to bad teams. It's almost like people forget about them. Detroit hasn't won a playoff game since the 90s and I don't see that streak ending soon.

23 hours ago, Chargers said:

So underrated when it comes to bad teams. It's almost like people forget about them. Detroit hasn't won a playoff game since the 90s and I don't see that streak ending soon.

Yes but if you lose to the Lions in the playoffs, you are set to win 3 of the next 4 Super Bowls.