2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

I was telling my coworker the bears aren’t going to do anything revelatory in FA (mostly cause there aren’t revelatory players in FA lol) because I feel like we are actually in a rebuild so we won’t add pieces that will be significant contributors 4 years from now, just guys that will help Fields not get murdered, have targets for, and minor holes patched throughout 

6 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I was telling my coworker the bears aren’t going to do anything revelatory in FA (mostly cause there aren’t revelatory players in FA lol) because I feel like we are actually in a rebuild so we won’t add pieces that will be significant contributors 4 years from now, just guys that will help Fields not get murdered, have targets for, and minor holes patched throughout 

I predict they bring in an OL and WR of note in FA this year or at least make a run at doing so.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I predict they bring in an OL and WR of note in FA this year or at least make a run at doing so.  

I personally don’t think there are any WRs in FA of note lol. But I would love La’el Collins. If we spend all of our cap on OL in FA I’d be pretty chill with it. Just showing my growth as a human cause when I first got into football I only cared about skills positions and if we signed something else I was irate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

I personally don’t think there are any WRs in FA of note lol. But I would love La’el Collins. If we spend all of our cap on OL in FA I’d be pretty chill with it. Just showing my growth as a human cause when I first got into football I only cared about skills positions and if we signed something else I was irate 

The WR market looks like it is going to be crazy.

Spending on OL, drafting at WR might make the most sense.

The more I look at the FA crop of WRs the more I find myself zeroing in on Russell Gage as an add I’d really like for us. He’s the kind of upside projection in whom I’d be comfortable investing despite his lack of an elite physical skill set, for several reasons:

-His current value with no future improvement at all is already at the level of a decent WR2 or good WR3, which itself would fill a massive need on our roster

-He’s just entering what should be his prime years (going into age 26 season)

-His role has continued to expand year over year, and he’s shown the corresponding continuous improvement (ypg, targets/game, catch % and yards/target are all up year over year)

-He’s already shown a diverse skill set (works the middle of the field effectively, success on the full route tree, effective after the catch (34.4% of his career receiving yards are YAC), shows the ability to win on 50/50 balls)

-He’s a guy who Matt Ryan has looked for when plays break down, which Poles has mentioned as a priority

His upside is more limited than other guys out there for sure - he probably maxes out as an above average 2 who might touch 1000 yards (was on a 935-yard pace last year but missed 3 games), but at bare minimum he raises the floor way up for what we can expect from our WR room and gives Fields another immediately reliable target which will be great for his development.

Mooney/Gage/2nd round WR/value depth vet/late round WR/Newsome isn’t going to jump out to anyone as a top unit heading into 2022, but there’s plenty there to work with right away, and with any 2022 growth from Mooney and a hit on the R2 WR it’s also a group that could be pretty damn good overall pretty soon too. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If I had my druthers, my 3 main targets for FA tomorrow would be Ryan Jensen, DJ Chark, and Carl Williams.

Who is Carl Williams? I was thinking Carlton Davis at first but not sure who Williams is.  Or did you mean Connor?

My three would be Juju, Jensen, and Chark. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The more I look at the FA crop of WRs the more I find myself zeroing in on Russell Gage as an add I’d really like for us. He’s the kind of upside projection in whom I’d be comfortable investing despite his lack of an elite physical skill set, for several reasons:

-His current value with no future improvement at all is already at the level of a decent WR2 or good WR3, which itself would fill a massive need on our roster

-He’s just entering what should be his prime years (going into age 26 season)

-His role has continued to expand year over year, and he’s shown the corresponding continuous improvement (ypg, targets/game, catch % and yards/target are all up year over year)

-He’s already shown a diverse skill set (works the middle of the field effectively, success on the full route tree, effective after the catch (34.4% of his career receiving yards are YAC), shows the ability to win on 50/50 balls)

-He’s a guy who Matt Ryan has looked for when plays break down, which Poles has mentioned as a priority

His upside is more limited than other guys out there for sure - he probably maxes out as an above average 2 who might touch 1000 yards (was on a 935-yard pace last year but missed 3 games), but at bare minimum he raises the floor way up for what we can expect from our WR room and gives Fields another immediately reliable target which will be great for his development.

Mooney/Gage/2nd round WR/value depth vet/late round WR/Newsome isn’t going to jump out to anyone as a top unit heading into 2022, but there’s plenty there to work with right away, and with any 2022 growth from Mooney and a hit on the R2 WR it’s also a group that could be pretty damn good overall pretty soon too. 

I really like this idea. Gage wouldn't cost a lot, is more quick than fast and is still young enough to get better

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Who is Carl Williams? I was thinking Carlton Davis at first but not sure who Williams is.  Or did you mean Connor?

My three would be Juju, Jensen, and Chark. 

I think at least one of those three is likely.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he’ll probably cost more than you think, but he shouldn’t cost top of the FA market money. 

I'm out of the loop, and haven't even watched the Falcons play since the game Trubisky got benched. Would Gage be your top choice?