2022 Prospect General Discussion Thread

Jeezla

On 2/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, Jeezla said:

Can someone sell me on Penning?  None of this looks good to me.  Hand placement is late and terrible (outside). Gives up his chest way too easy.  I don't see elite feet or movement skill.  Gives up the outside edge too easily.  Not a natural bender whatsoever. Base is way too wide in his stance. As a Chargers fan, we seem to keep seeing his name with us, I wanna like him but I just can't get there with this dude

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Went to high school with Cory Harkey, he scored a .68 😂

Stayed in the league for years as a 3rd TE for the Rams/Jeff Fisher, i think hes coaching now.

Cory Harkey wasn't a bad TE. But that was because he blocked well. He was never a receiving threat. He played FB too.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Cory Harkey wasn't a bad TE. But that was because he blocked well. He was never a receiving threat. He played FB too.

He was a year older than me but we had Trig together, dude was 6’4 at 17 and looked like a grown man. He missed a wide open dunk one time and the school would not stop ragging him for weeks😂, we all knew his future wasnt in Basketball. 

4 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Can someone sell me on Penning?  None of this looks good to me.  Hand placement is late and terrible (outside). Gives up his chest way too easy.  I don't see elite feet or movement skill.  Gives up the outside edge too easily.  Not a natural bender whatsoever. Base is way too wide in his stance. As a Chargers fan, we seem to keep seeing his name with us, I wanna like him but I just can't get there with this dude

He wasn’t very good at the Senior Bowl, but his tape was better. I don’t know if he was amped up to start a fight or got coached up poorly, but if you went just off the Senior Bowl, you’d say he can’t play OT in the NFL.

23 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

He wasn’t very good at the Senior Bowl, but his tape was better. I don’t know if he was amped up to start a fight or got coached up poorly, but if you went just off the Senior Bowl, you’d say he can’t play OT in the NFL.

I didn't put much stock in the Senior Bowl tape. I did watch NIU vs Minnesota amongst other games and I just honestly don't see a first round prospect. I think if you're drafting him high, you're gambling on the athleticism and measurable. I do think his run blocking tape is fairly sound though

5 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

The good news is I don't think he's making it to the Chargers' pick at 17.  You're drafting him based on his athletic skills.  You don't see guys that big move that well.  He's an elite athlete, but he's incredibly raw as a technician.  You're essentially trusting your OL coach to develop his technique.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, Trojan said:

There are some draftnik sites that focus more on HBCU prospects and he's frequently mentioned as a top 3 HBCU guy, should be a lot of articles on those sites to dig into him more.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

If he had any FBS uniform on other than FAMU he would be a 1st round pick, his instincts, angles ball skills, tackling are all elite. 

All of his numbers at the combine were great except his shuttle time, which was absolutely horrible. He didn't re do it at his pro day either.

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why has Stingley's stock seemingly dropped off of a cliff? And do you guys think that Sauce Gardner is potentially worth a top 5 pick?

Mostly injury concerns.  He's missed about 50% of the last two years.  I believe one of them was a lisfranc injury which have a nasty habit of lingering and coming back.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why has Stingley's stock seemingly dropped off of a cliff? And do you guys think that Sauce Gardner is potentially worth a top 5 pick?

No tape since 2019. Lisfranc injury which is very tough on DBs and WR to recover and not reinjure.

Look at what gets overvalued in the draft.  Pass rush, protecting from pass rush, QB and CB.  Yes, Gardner could be a top 5 pick.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

No tape since 2019. Lisfranc injury which is very tough on DBs and WR to recover and not reinjure.

Look at what gets overvalued in the draft.  Pass rush, protecting from pass rush, QB and CB.  Yes, Gardner could be a top 5 pick.

Do you think he's worth a top 5 pick though?

Just now, NYRaider said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Daniel Faalele?

If he'd cut about 30-40 lbs he'd be a first round pick.  He's an elite athlete, but carries too much weight and I don't see that body holding up at 6'9".  If he gets into a defenders chest though, game over.  He can straight up rag doll 275 lb defensive ends at times.  I looked into him a bunch early in the process before the Bengals got La'el Collins, and his splash plays are impressive as hell, but he's too inconsistent because he's just so damn massive.

• Like 1