What kind of numbers would Peyton Manning and Dan Marino average today?

NeptunePenguins

6 hours ago, DinoZ said:

Marino has a career comp% of 59.4,  his career passer rating a 86.4.

How would he do vs these edge rushers today being totally unable to extend plays.

the comp% thing has raised like ~.5% every year for the last 20. So he probably would have closer to a 70% in todays game. Same with passer rating but even more dramatic.

I don't buy that numbers "scale up" with inflation.

Say a player in the 90s was 20% bigger, better, and more talented than all of his peers back that. That DOESN'T mean he would be 20% bigger, better, and more talented than his peers today.

Sure, he would have some boost from the systems that are allowing our current players to be better, but he's going to be facing much stiffer competition.

I just don't think it works the way OP suggests. If anything I think those guys would potentially struggle because they likely WOULDN'T have the talent gap today that they were able to achieve back then

All of that said, I think they would be the elites now just like they were in their prime - I just don't think they would have this monumental gap in today's era

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Look at the TLDR at the bottom. Accounting for inflation in passing numbers - Marino wouldve had the most yards, most TDs, and I think the highest PR and ANY/A - - EVER!

Why would the modern statistical adjustments cut down on the number of interceptions he threw? Cause he averaged a ton of interceptions every year throughout his career.