What kind of numbers would Peyton Manning and Dan Marino average today?

NeptunePenguins

8 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

This is such a misinformed bad post. Marino's best season is the best season arguably ever when accounting for statistical inflation. 

I'm with you. Look at the stats....? Bhalaha. You mean...the stats showing that he was statistically the greatest QB in NFL history at the time? Those stats? What kind of argument is that? Marino would absolutely feast in today's NFL. Even meh QBs like Matt Ryan feast in today's NFL. 

Only looking at Marino's 1984 season and surmising he'd have a season like that every season in the modern NFL is faulty logic. Marino didn't have a 1984 season every season. He had it once, just as other all-time greats had all-time great seasons. Manning 2004, Brady 2007, and Rodgers 2011.

Marino would tear it up in today's NFL ofc. He would be on par with Rodgers, Mahomes and Brady.

• Like 1

Manning led the league in passing yards 3 times and TDs 4 times.

2004 and 2013 were freakish seasons like Brady 2007 or Marino 1984.

He was not a Drew Brees level 5k on repeat guy. (Brees led in yards 7 times and TDs 4 times)

IMO a Brees clone starting now and playing 20 years would crush all the records.

• Its possible Herbert is that guy but no way to tell this soon.

Marino needs to be understood as pretty much 2 players.

The 1984-1988 guy lead the league in passing yards 4 times, TDs 3 times, and crushed all the records.

The 1989 -1999 guy led the league in passing yards once and TDs not at all.

So he also was not a Drew Brees type who just compiled like crazy over a long period with revolving door players.

All 3 guys are great but I think Brees would be the record setter.

Edited by SkippyX

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Marino needs to be understood as pretty much 2 players.

The 1984-1988 guy lead the league in passing yards 4 times, TDs 3 times, and crushed all the records.

The 1989 -1999 guy led the league in passing yards once and TDs not at all.

So he also was not a Drew Brees type who just compiled like crazy over a long period with revolving door players.

Excellent point, for the young '83-'88 Marino the Fins tried the Pass Happy With Weak Defense thing, they got to the Super Bowl but that formula didn't work. It got worse the following few seasons, including the game where Marino threw 6 TD passes and they still lost 51-45 to the Jets. Crap defense, so many wasted seasons for Dan. 

So in 1989 they tried to reinvent the team with more running focus by drafting Florida State RB Sammie Smith (1st rd bust) and better defense (D was later nicknamed the Miami Pound Machine, yuck). They had success but couldn't make it back to the Super Bowl due to the highly talented Bills dominating the AFC. Marino's stats were more modest during that time. When JJ later took over as coach, Marino's stats dipped even worse. 

That mid-1983 to 1988 timeframe tho, Marino was unreal. The NFL had just never seen anything like it, he obliterated the long-standing passing records. Difficult to explain how shocking it was at the time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DinoZ said:

Trust me these defenders today on a whole other than what those oldies faced.  A far faster game now,  a statue like Marino,....no chance.

Overall athleticism has gone up, true - but that is on both sides of the ball. What's more relevant is how the rules of the NFL have evolved to favor passing since Marino's time. The numbers he put up during his early career were literally unheard of.

It's hard to really judge two players of different eras as the game (and metagame) that they played in are completely different. Thus, the only recourse would be to measure the relative success they had over peers of their time. Marino obviously excelled over his peers to an extent that any active QB except Tom Brady could claim to excel over their peers in today's game.

That said, I do think it's a fool's errand to project his "modern numbers" - the aspects that made Marino great in the early 80s would perhaps not be as useful to him if he were playing the sport in 2021. To that, I'll agree (The reverse is also true for the record; I don't think a QB playing in 2021 could be as effective in 1984). But you can't discount his greatness relative to his time, he was easily one of the best passers ever relative to his era.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:55 AM, DinoZ said:

Trust me these defenders today on a whole other than what those oldies faced.  A far faster game now,  a statue like Marino,....no chance.

Damn wonder how Tom Brady managed to play in this Era? Please just say, I am to young to intelligently speak on how Dan Marino might of faired in today's NFL.  I never saw him play.

Marino could of played in any Era, he was that gifted. Especially playing in this tricky tack flag football version the NFL has turned into. Where defenders can't sniff a WR the wrong way without PI being called. Can't touch a QB. 

It's a passing league where one of the most gifted passers in NFL history,  would of had no problems adapting. None!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Only looking at Marino's 1984 season and surmising he'd have a season like that every season in the modern NFL is faulty logic. Marino didn't have a 1984 season every season. He had it once, just as other all-time greats had all-time great seasons. Manning 2004, Brady 2007, and Rodgers 2011.

Marino would tear it up in today's NFL ofc. He would be on par with Rodgers, Mahomes and Brady.

Exactly.  Marino is an all time great and his 84 season is an all time great.

But Marino is not a better QB than Manning, Brady, Rodgers etc.

So many stars would have to align for 60 tds and 6k yards in 16 games that it was essentially never gonna happen.

Escapibility is a major trait for a QB these days, and Brady gets away because of his brilliant pocket presence. 

On the other hand, all of today's guys would be beat into a pulp, if they did expose themselves like they do today. You just didn't dare to venture out of the pocket in those days. 

At least that's my perception.

Edited by kramxel

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Damn wonder how Tom Brady managed to play in this Era? Please just say, I am to young to intelligently speak on how Dan Marino might of faired in today's NFL.  I never saw him play.

Marino could of played in any Era, he was that gifted. Especially playing in this tricky tack flag football version the NFL has turned into. Where defenders can't sniff a WR the wrong way without PI being called. Can't touch a QB. 

It's a passing league where one of the most gifted passers in NFL history,  would of had no problems adapting. None!

Dude,  saw Marino at Pitt so cool the BS, ok?

Look at his completion % back then,  it was weak, what he did do was throw the hell out of the football tat is why he put up the numbers he did.  Look at his passer rating, also weak,  the guy only had one season over 100,  Russell Wilson has had 6 in half the time.

Dan Marino vs these edge rushers and 4,4 cornerbacks of today would get ate up.  

Dude,  saw my first NFL game around 1958ish so what do ha want to know?   Jim Brown?  Willie Glimore?  Hugh "King" McElhenny?

14 minutes ago, DinoZ said:

Dude,  saw Marino at Pitt so cool the BS, ok?

Dude,  saw my first NFL game around 1958ish so what do ha want to know?   Jim Brown?  Willie Glimore?  Hugh "King" McElhenny?

Were you wearing prescription glasses and or in a purple haze still from the 70's to come to that conclusion?

Apologies though if you're indeed in your late 60's, not teens. 🥃

10 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Were you wearing prescription glasses and or in a purple haze still from the 70's to come to that conclusion?

Apologies though if you're indeed in your late 60's, not teens. 🥃

72 my man,  trust me a statue like Marino ain't making it in todays NFL. 

You really don't see the difference in the defenses,  really?