Week 16 GDT - Tennessee Titans vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

15 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah that was a bit of a shocker to read. i do think though with how much fails we have had under this regime its pretty crazy how much top end talent we drafted. And most of our draftclasses if you include UDFA's and you redraft them according to production would be pretty damn good classes for the most part.

It's the Seattle model. Miss your early picks and hit your later ones. 

Don't think it's sustainable. We have to be better on early picks, especially when it's rather hard to give them credit for Bosa.

Though in truth it's all going to come down to Lance, let's be real lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's the Seattle model. Miss your early picks and hit your later ones. 

Don't think it's sustainable. We have to be better on early picks, especially when it's rather hard to give them credit for Bosa.

Though in truth it's all going to come down to Lance, let's be real lol

THIS. The misses in the first three rounds are really astounding when you total them up and realize how much the scouting department being money in the middle-late rounds has saved this regime. Absolutely have to be better moving forward. Just think of this roster and depth if even TWO of our flameouts in the first 2-3 rounds the last three-four years had actually been serviceable, consistent starters. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

This regime has been bailed out by hitting on HIGH level talent in the drafts. Kittle, Warner, Bosa and Deebo are as good as they get at their positions and then the late draft and undrafted contributors have been big. 

That balls them out for the high pick failures.

The team is still very talented. When we get just average play from Jimmy, we win almost every single time. It's only when he has terrible games where we lose. 

I think from the free agents, we will be able to bring back guys like Tartt, Williams etc if we want to. They are very good but won't garner much attention on the market. 

Should be another interesting offseason. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This regime has been bailed out by hitting on HIGH level talent in the drafts. Kittle, Warner, Bosa and Deebo are as good as they get at their positions and then the late draft and undrafted contributors have been big. 

That balls them out for the high pick failures.

The team is still very talented. When we get just average play from Jimmy, we win almost every single time. It's only when he has terrible games where we lose. 

I think from the free agents, we will be able to bring back guys like Tartt, Williams etc if we want to. They are very good but won't garner much attention on the market. 

Should be another interesting offseason. 

In a nutshell you basically just highlighted that the Niners are an elite QB away from being a SB winning contender. For example if the Packers had traded Aaron Rodgers to the Niners in the offseason then the Niners would be in the hunt for the #1 seed as opposed to wasteland wildcard spot. 

It'll be fun seeing what everyone is saying when Trey Lance is the starting QB and he's battling injuries that Lamar Jackson & Kyler Murray have to battle b/c they are run first QB's. This is Kap all over again and thus just another failure at QB since Steve Young and the saga continues. 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Look at Aiyuk here and how he has a chance to make a big play where he is singled up with the corner. No way would the safety be able to get there and make a play at the ball. This is what is so frustrating about Jimmy. He should know pre-snap that he will have Aiyuk in single coverage and he never even looks his way. With the way the DPI's are called, there is a good chance we get 40+ on this play. Say what you want about Mullens, but he would have given Aiyuk a shot on this play.

@John232what frustrated you about Warner's game last night? 

Honestly, I think he’s  getting beat a bit too much in the run game. He still flies sideline to sideline, but considering his elite status, he misses quite a few tackles. 

in coverage, I don’t think he was great, I don’t think he gets a lot of help and he might have more responsibility than any LBer in tbe league besides Wagner,  but it seemed like there were 3 or 4 passes down his zone that he was late on. Some of that’s Tanny throwing some darts.

I still have plenty of faith in Warner, but He’s gotta clean up some things before I feel he plays up to his contract.

I also miss Willis and Bowman. They were so consistently elite.

11 minutes ago, John232 said:

Honestly, I think he’s  getting beat a bit too much in the run game. He still flies sideline to sideline, but considering his elite status, he misses quite a few tackles. 

in coverage, I don’t think he was great, I don’t think he gets a lot of help and he might have more responsibility than any LBer in tbe league besides Wagner,  but it seemed like there were 3 or 4 passes down his zone that he was late on. Some of that’s Tanny throwing some darts.

I still have plenty of faith in Warner, but He’s gotta clean up some things before I feel he plays up to his contract.

He hasn't been as instinctive in coverage from a zone perspective but he's still elite in that area when tasked in straight man. He spoiled me the previous two years, as he was just always in the right place when the ball left the QBs hands as a shallow defender. Some of that is on Ryans though. He's not using him exactly like Saleh did and he gets caught trying to do too much. His tackling has always been inconsistent. That's just a part of his game I've come to accept.

There's some growing pains in this new scheme. But he's still ballin' for the most part.

1 hour ago, John232 said:

The thing is with the Titans in max protection, it gave Tannehill all day in the pocket to find the openings in the zone. Warner is also getting more depth in his zone to protect the corners. He's still the best coverage backer in the game, but he's had different responsibilities since Moseley has been hurt. Ryans needs to get more aggressive and allow Warner/Ward to do what they do best on money downs. 

He has missed his fair share of tackles but that's been him for every season minus last season. I've noticed him trying to go for the ball more and he needs to stop doing that. 

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

In a nutshell you basically just highlighted that the Niners are an elite QB away from being a SB winning contender. For example if the Packers had traded Aaron Rodgers to the Niners in the offseason then the Niners would be in the hunt for the #1 seed as opposed to wasteland wildcard spot. 

It'll be fun seeing what everyone is saying when Trey Lance is the starting QB and he's battling injuries that Lamar Jackson & Kyler Murray have to battle b/c they are run first QB's. This is Kap all over again and thus just another failure at QB since Steve Young and the saga continues. 

Lamar has been mainly his healthy his entire career. 

It's not even being an elite QB away from being a SB contender. Get just good, solid play and that will be enough. Lance will also add more explosive plays and that's going to make the offense very dangerous. Even with Jimmy's limitations, if he doesn't turn the ball over, the team is so talented that they can compete with ANYONE. 

1 hour ago, NFL Network said:

Still no data supporting that running QBs get hurt at a higher rate. 

I believe most injuries happen in pocket by a significant margin, then scrambles (not relegated to running QBs), and then actual QB runs

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lamar has been mainly his healthy his entire career. 

It's not even being an elite QB away from being a SB contender. Get just good, solid play and that will be enough. Lance will also add more explosive plays and that's going to make the offense very dangerous. Even with Jimmy's limitations, if he doesn't turn the ball over, the team is so talented that they can compete with ANYONE. 

The Niners lost 2 SB's b/c of their lack of an elite QB and even if they had won in 2012/19 it would be winning a SB with an exception to the norm QB e.g. Eli Manning, Ben, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer etc. 

With regards to run first QB's winning SB's I've only seen 2 of them win one e.g. Russell Wilson & Patrick Mahomes (yes I view Mahomes as run first b/c he'd be nothing without mobility). I don't put Steve Young in that category b/c by 1994 Steve was more dangerous as a pocket passer as opposed to a runner even though he still killed you with his legs but they were complimentary.  

8 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The Niners lost 2 SB's b/c of their lack of an elite QB and even if they had won in 2012/19 it would be winning a SB with an exception to the norm QB e.g. Eli Manning, Ben, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer etc. 

With regards to run first QB's winning SB's I've only seen 2 of them win one e.g. Russell Wilson & Patrick Mahomes (yes I view Mahomes as run first b/c he'd be nothing without mobility). I don't put Steve Young in that category b/c by 1994 Steve was more dangerous as a pocket passer as opposed to a runner even though he still killed you with his legs but they were complimentary.  

Um no, Mahomes is not a run first QB at all and being a SB contender is different than winning a SB. You said the Niners are Rodgers away from winning a SB which is not true.

Kaepernick played great in the SB. They lost mainly because of how bad their defense and STs were in that game. 

Lance will need to be a top level QB for years to come and if he's not, then there will be a new regime. But with THIS talent the team currently has, he wouldn't need to be great for the team to be a SB contender. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um no, Mahomes is not a run first QB at all and being a SB contender is different than winning a SB. You said the Niners are Rodgers away from winning a SB which is not true.

Kaepernick played great in the SB. They lost mainly because of how bad their defense and STs were in that game. 

Lance will need to be a top level QB for years to come and if he's not, then there will be a new regime. But with THIS talent the team currently has, he wouldn't need to be great for the team to be a SB contender. 

If they (Lynch & Co.) can keep most of the core talent intact and get an adequate back-up for Lance, this should be a much improved offense going forward. Not even taking into account the added element Lance gives Shanny in the run game, just executing the simple throws or 'layups' as I call them that Shanny schemes up will help this offense and the defense ten fold. Not to mention actually attacking the deep third and making a defense have to defend the entire field for the entirety of the game. We're completely handcuffed as a offense with a QB who refuses to push the ball downfield and is wildly inaccurate when he does.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If they (Lynch & Co.) can keep most of the core talent intact and get an adequate back-up for Lance, this should be a much improved offense going forward. Not even taking into account the added element Lance gives Shanny in the run game, just executing the simple throws or 'layups' as I call them that Shanny schemes up will help this offense and the defense ten fold. Not to mention actually attacking the deep third and making a defense have to defend the entire field for the entirety of the game. We're completely handcuffed as a offense with a QB who refuses to push the ball downfield and is wildly inaccurate when he does.

Lance will need to take some heat off his throws allowing the YAC monsters to eat but it's going to be extremely difficult stopping this offense with a true vertical game. Can't wait! 

44 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Mahomes had Brady type mobility then his lack of pocket passing & poor decision making would expose him and he throw INT's at a Favre's type pace and not to mention the amount of sacks he'd take.

Kap was pure trash in the first half of the SB and there was mention at halftime of going to Alex Smith and once Kap got them back into the game he couldn't close the deal on the final drive and he did the same thing the next year in Seattle in the NFC title game in the final seconds e.g. throwing to a sorry *** receiver!

You take away Rodgers from Green Bay and the Pack are not even a playoff team as look all the players Green Bay is allowed to have injured but they still win. Rodgers make a blocking TE like Merecedes Lewis a sticks moving machine. Imagine if the Niners had Rodgers they'd actually win those close games b/c they'd have points on the board b/c drives would end in the endzone which is something Jimmy can't do. There's a reason why the Packers are to scared to trade Rodgers b/c they know they're nothing with a run first Jordan Love at the helm.