How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

Just browsing through next gen stats right now and I came across something interesting, especially because Fournette and Kamara have been compared a lot here.

Tracking the numbers of stacked boxes (8 or more defenders) each RB faces on their carries this season...

Fournette: 52.38% (most in NFL)

Kamara 17.17% (least in NFL)

Kamara is absolutely a great player, but this is surprising.

10 minutes ago, RedRider said:

Just browsing through next gen stats right now and I came across something interesting, especially because Fournette and Kamara have been compared a lot here.

Tracking the numbers of stacked boxes (8 or more defenders) each RB faces on their carries this season...

Who are you more scared of?

Blake Bortles, or Drew Brees?

I realize Brees is really turning it on, but with Michael Thomas on the outside and Bree's as your QB it is hard to stack the box too much. It's the advantage of having a HoF QB and a really good WR.

^

I get your question. I'm more scared of Kamara than Leo, for sure. It's interesting to see Leo succeeding, though, with such a stacked box.

Also, never would have suspected this. Fournette has the top MPH of any single play by a ball carrier this year at 22.05. He also has the second highest MPH of any single play. That is just mind-blowingly impressive, especially when you consider he's more of a power back.

2 hours ago, RedRider said:

I'd imagine the Jaguars go with a lot of power formations, while the Saints run out of the spread a good amount. Just an assumption though, could be wrong.

Also, why is Cooper Kupp demanding the most cushion of any receiver in the NFL? Leading the NFL with 7.5 yards per play. Seems like the opposite of how you'd want to play him. 

It's due to the sets and alignments that McVay uses. It makes it difficult to press Rams' WRs.

1 minute ago, RedRider said:

Interesting. Haven't watched many Rams games. Can you explain these sets and alignments?

He uses a lot of bunch sets and tight alignments. Kupp is basically always aligned on the side with another guy who is split out unless he's put in motion. If you try to press him, McVay will use that to either open up other options (by using Kupp and the guy pressing him as a pick) or will set picks to free Kupp up. Most teams opt to back off and pattern match.

Also, never would have suspected this. Fournette has the top MPH of any single play by a ball carrier this year at 22.05. He also has the second highest MPH of any single play. That is just mind-blowingly impressive, especially when you consider he's more of a power back.

It is a little interesting. But he did run a 4.51 on a bum leg at the combine and seemed to be pretty upset about it. Kid is a big talent if he stays healthy

Just listened to a pretty cool interview with Tre’Davious White on the bills site. I guess white and marshon lattimore text daily about whose going to win DROTY. They trained together during the offseason and White said they text all week about the WR they’re going up against to pick each other’s brains

57 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Just listened to a pretty cool interview with Tre’Davious White on the bills site. I guess white and marshon lattimore text daily about whose going to win DROTY. They trained together during the offseason and White said they text all week about the WR they’re going up against to pick each other’s brains

Sounds like White wants to join the Saints, they should make that happen..

22 hours ago, RedRider said:

Not surprising at all honestly. Would you stack the box with 8 or more if Kamara is in the backfield and the Saints offense also has Pro Bowl Mike Thomas, Ted Ginn, another WR and a TE, and Brees under center? Hell no. Brees demands respect. Bortles does not. I will not poo poo the notion that Fournette has had more of a challenge. But Kamara is just electrifying none the less.

Archived