How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

1 minute ago, GamedayGuru said:

I think hunt, fournette and kamara are all going to be very good players, but if there was a redraft I believe the order that those 3 would be drafted is 

Kamara

Fournette

Hunt

I think it's a matter of fit.  They are all in systems that play to their strengths and are able to have their best brought out.  I don't think any of those 3 would perform better in each others positions than they would on the team they are now.

29 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think it's a matter of fit.  They are all in systems that play to their strengths and are able to have their best brought out.  I don't think any of those 3 would perform better in each others positions than they would on the team they are now.

I agree with this. I think that all three are in the right place. 

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah that definitely plays a role, I think Fournette will be a very good player for the Jaguars. However, Kamara averaging about 7ypc is special regardless of fronts, and an added bonus is him being a huge weapon in the passing game as well.

Happens when u have some good oline play and brees put there. 

18 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Brees hasn't been amazing this year, he's had his moments, but he's also had games like the Rams where he should've had about 6 picks that got dropped.  If he does anything, it's reputation alone that would be keeping defenses honest.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

If he does anything, it's reputation alone that would be keeping defenses honest.

This. Last week we had a Panthers fan (IIRC) say "all you gotta do is stop the run." Teams that have been able to do that have beaten us. Kamara had a huge run for 74 against the Rams, other than that he and Ingram were stifled. Kamara still had 101 yards receiving and drew double coverage, but the lack of a run game killed us. Minnesota absolutely stifled our run game. The Patriots got the privilege of us forcing equal carries to Peterson who was a non-factor, Ingram had a good game against them (8/52). Obvisouly it's not JUST shutting down the run, but that should be the defenses primary objective. 

The Redskins game where Brees was perfect in the final 5 minutes, we won in OT with 2 rushes for 51 yards. Brees arm was shot the next week against the Rams, don't let the box score fool you he had 3 straight up DROPPED interceptions, another 2 where the DB had a good shot at it, and that's just the 2nd half. Brees arm is very hit and miss this year, and come playoffs he'll be leaned on more. I really don't know if his arm will hold up.

12 hours ago, Raves said:

Brees hasn't been amazing this year, he's had his moments, but he's also had games like the Rams where he should've had about 6 picks that got dropped.  If he does anything, it's reputation alone that would be keeping defenses honest.

Its alot easier to average 5+ yards vs a regular front than say 8 or 9 man front. 

10 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Its alot easier to average 5+ yards vs a regular front than say 8 or 9 man front. 

Ingram has 5+ YPC(unless I am mistaken) and he sees a lot more 8/9 man fronts.  

Teams may not focus them like they do Fournette, but they do get focused, and they still produce.

23 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Teams are game planning against Kamara just as much as Fournette. Potentially more. Its not hard to say "throw 8 guys in the box and take our chance with Bortles", its much harder to try and formulate a game plan for a guy who's as much as a threat catching the ball as he is running it.

14 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Does it? Last time I checked nobody (Since I started watching football) regardless of Brees (Great QB) and an Oline had averaged 7 ypc prior to Kamara

Raider Nation has been conspicuously quiet about our rookie class this year:

Round 1 - Gareon Conley CB

Missed most of TC and pre-season with the legal issues and then a mysterious shin injury. When he did eventually get on the field he did look a natural man cover corner with great change of direction and closing speed, sadly that was for only a handful of games and he's now on IR after apparently aggravating the shin injury which is still unclear. He could be a huge part of the defensive backfield moving forward and though we've only seen a little it is tantalising.

Round 2 - Obi Melifonwu S

Another who missed so much time but has finally been taken off partial season IR and has starting taking tentative steps. Was thrust into emergency operation at CB by our inept DC against the Patriots in Mexico with sadly predictable results. We are still waiting to see exactly how he fits in our system as we envisioned him matching up with TEs and playing a Chancellor type SS role but with John Pagano now taking the reigns at DC we're kept in suspense for now........

Round 3 - Eddie Vanderdoes DT

Has been a virtual ever-present in TC, pre-season and now the regular season winning a starting DT job. Initially flashed potential but overall has been very quiet with very bare stats and far too often gets fooled with mis-direction and is often seen over pursuing and pushing up field while the RB has already gone past. The last couple games he seems to have been more consistent and less mistake prone but too early to tell if DC Pagano is having the effect or if it's just two very poor offences. Frustratingly underwhelming so far but I liked him pre-draft and think he can turn it around with better scheming.

Round 4 - David Sharpe OT

Virtually anonymous, he did come in for several snaps in place of Donald Penn last going off and the drop off was big. He hasn't really shown anything so far but we knew he was a work in progress, at this point he doesn't look the heir apparent to Penn but another off-season could do him the world of good.

Round 5 - Marquel Lee MLB

We heard big things about him in  pre-season and the FO was certainly talking him up. When he did get on the field in regular season action he looked a little out of his depth and the team snapped up Navorro Bowman to man the middle and call the defensive plays. He's been injured also and while he may improve he's clearly not the immediate answer as you would expect of a 5th round pick.

Round 7a - Shalom Luani S

Really liked this guy pre-draft and for a 7th round pick he had a great pre-season with big plays and was very noticeable. He hasn't really had much of a chance other than STs but over the last two games he's rotated in and not been too much of a liability. He always seems to be around the ball and loves to hit. He's a guy that just seems to react and play fast and I think it's safe to say that all of Raider Nation desperately wants to see much more of this young man moving forward.  

Round 7b - Jylan Ware OT

Another pretty anonymous lineman, we knew he was a project from the off and he did have a solid game or two in pre-season showing nice agility and lightness for a big man. He made the roster which is about what you can expect from a 7th round pick. Next off season and TC will be crucial if he wants to get actual game time.

Round 7c - Elijah Hood RB

For a 7th round pick maybe expectations were too high and though he wasn't terrible he really didn't sell himself in the pre-season and hasn't really turned any heads thus far. A lot of us were expecting him to sneak onto the original 53 but he was subsequently cut and is now on the practice squad.

Round 7d - Treyvon Hester DT

Solid pre-season and he easily made the roster and has rotated in most of the season. He's actually showed a few more flashes probably than Vanderdoes and doesn't look out of place - although he hasn't really made any big plays either. He's exceeded expectations just by making the 53 and getting on the field regularly but the question will be can he develop and be any more than a bit part player at this level. 

UDFA - Nicholas Morrow OLB

Unheralded LB who's worked his way onto the 53 and recently has been playing more and more at OLB. On most teams he'd be a Special Teams player but he's being forced into playing a decent amount of snaps and has struggled particularly in coverage. He has some potential and another who probably has exceeded expectations albeit that he shouldn't really be seeing many snaps on D.

Very, very underwhelming thus far from Reggie McKenzie, although to be fair Conley looked pretty good until injured and looks to have huge potential, we're still waiting to see what Obi brings and even how he'll be used and it's been so frustrating not even seeing the top 2 picks. How these two guys play next year will ultimately decide if this draft class is an epic bust or just a slow burner.................

4 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

Teams are game planning against Kamara just as much as Fournette. Potentially more. Its not hard to say "throw 8 guys in the box and take our chance with Bortles", its much harder to try and formulate a game plan for a guy who's as much as a threat catching the ball as he is running it.

I guarantee you teams are game planning more to stop fournette and make bortles beat them then lets load the box to stop ingram and kamara and force brees to beat ya. 

Archived