How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

1 minute ago, navysaintsfan said:

Not surprising at all honestly. Would you stack the box with 8 or more if Kamara is in the backfield and the Saints offense also has Pro Bowl Mike Thomas, Ted Ginn, another WR and a TE, and Brees under center? Hell no. Brees demands respect. Bortles does not. I will not poo poo the notion that Fournette has had more of a challenge. But Kamara is just electrifying none the less.

Not saying Kamara isn't electrifying. And this isn't simply a comparison of Jags and Saints. It's also of each team vs the rest of the NFL. Of ALL teams, not just the Jags, the Saints and Kamara face the least amount of stacked boxes. It's not an end all be all stat, but it's worth noting when wondering why, in part, Kamara is dominating like he is.

2 hours ago, RedRider said:

Not saying Kamara isn't electrifying. And this isn't simply a comparison of Jags and Saints. It's also of each team vs the rest of the NFL. Of ALL teams, not just the Jags, the Saints and Kamara face the least amount of stacked boxes. It's not an end all be all stat, but it's worth noting when wondering why, in part, Kamara is dominating like he is.

That's interesting. Does that pertain to JUST Kamara? or does it apply to the Saints as a whole? (Looking at Ingram here). 

If it's just Kamara, that's not too surprising. He catches a lot of balls out of the backfield and lines up all over the place. Run to pass catch ratio is probably pretty close to 1:1.

If it's the Saints as a whole, that would be really surprising seems as how they're one of the better running teams in the NFL right now. But then again, Drew Brees. Pick your poison. Stop the run and let Brees pick you apart, or play balanced and hope your front 7 can stop the run.

15 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

That's interesting. Does that pertain to JUST Kamara? or does it apply to the Saints as a whole? (Looking at Ingram here). 

If it's just Kamara, that's not too surprising. He catches a lot of balls out of the backfield and lines up all over the place. Run to pass catch ratio is probably pretty close to 1:1.

If it's the Saints as a whole, that would be really surprising seems as how they're one of the better running teams in the NFL right now. But then again, Drew Brees. Pick your poison. Stop the run and let Brees pick you apart, or play balanced and hope your front 7 can stop the run.

This is an individual player stat, so just for Kamara and not Ingram.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rushing#percent-eight-defenders

5 hours ago, RedRider said:

But is it the chicken or the egg? Kamara is lethal in space, so you have to defend that. On the other hand...I love Fournette...but you know where he’s going to be, and you crowd the box. 

5 hours ago, RedRider said:

But the saints run a lot of spread formations dragging defenders out the box, the jaguars most likely don't, so yes fournette sees more 8 man boxes, but wouldn't he also have more blockers out of all the heavy sets the jags run?

For example, kamara has 5 blocks with 6 in the box, fournette has 7 blockers with 8 defenders in the box?

49 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

But is it the chicken or the egg? Kamara is lethal in space, so you have to defend that. On the other hand...I love Fournette...but you know where he’s going to be, and you crowd the box. 

Bro, c'mon. They're not defending "space" because of Kamara. We all know whom Drew Brees is.

I know I asked this earlier in the thread, but don't recall seeing an answer. Has a team ever had both Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the year in the same season?

It looks like with 2 games left: 

Alvin Kamara is on pace to finish with over 1,500 total yards (Rushing/Receiving), and 14 touchdowns. He has oviously been a key contributor for the Saints offense this season which is among the best in both passing, and rushing.

Marshon Lattimore has yet to give up a touchdown this season, and is on pace to finish with 5 interceptions, a forced fumble, and 15 pass breakups. He has been a essential in the Saints defensive transformation this year going from one of the worst in NFL history to a pretty good unit overall.

So far this season they have combined to win Rookie Of The Week 9 times out of 15 weeks (3 times for Lattimore, and 6 times for Kamara)

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I know I asked this earlier in the thread, but don't recall seeing an answer. Has a team ever had both Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the year in the same season?

It looks like with 2 games left: 

Alvin Kamara is on pace to finish with over 1,500 total yards (Rushing/Receiving), and 14 touchdowns. He has oviously been a key contributor for the Saints offense this season which is among the best in both passing, and rushing.

Marshon Lattimore has yet to give up a touchdown this season, and is on pace to finish with 5 interceptions, a forced fumble, and 15 pass breakups. He has been a essential in the Saints defensive transformation this year going from one of the worst in NFL history to a pretty good unit overall.

So far this season they have combined to win Rookie Of The Week 9 times out of 15 weeks (3 times for Lattimore, and 6 times for Kamara)

Yes. The year ROY was started...1967...the Lions had both ROY’s...

Mel Farr, RB

Lem Barney, CB

There may be some after them...but I’m too tired to cross-check  

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Yes. The year ROY was started...1967...the Lions had both ROY’s...

Mel Farr, RB

Lem Barney, CB

There may be some after them...but I’m too tired to cross-check  

It's funny that if Kamara and Lattimore do it, it will be at the same exact positions...

28 minutes ago, Raves said:

It's funny that if Kamara and Lattimore do it, it will be at the same exact positions...

I think Hunt will end up taking the award. It'll be close though.

I think Lattimore will win DROY though. 

59 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

NFL execs voted today on season awards and kamara and Lattimore won offensive and defensive rookie of the year. Lattimore dominated with I think 12 of 15 votes, and kamara beat hunt 6 to 5 I think. 

link?

nvm. found it. very cool that they're both getting recognition. more worried about finishing out the season strong though. 

16 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

NFL execs voted today on season awards and kamara and Lattimore won offensive and defensive rookie of the year. Lattimore dominated with I think 12 of 15 votes, and kamara beat hunt 6 to 5 I think. 

I think that was just their opinions, not the actual voting for awards

Archived