QB Brock Osweiler to start for Broncos

SteelKing728

1 hour ago, celestial said:

To prove a point about how absurd it is Osweiler keeps getting these starting roles, let me established that Brock Osweiler is:

1. Routinely ranked worse than Geno Smith was as a starter 

2. At an older age that Geno Smith was

3. With better weapons that Geno Smith ever played with

4. With nowhere near the excellent games Geno occasionally produced.. 

Yet the Lobster keeps getting chances to prove, once again, he is not better than Geno Smith. Or Boykin. Or Austin Davis. Osweiler is effectively an older rookie Kizer with less deep accuracy. He shouldn't be in the league, let alone starting over Trevor Siemian, Geno Smith or Austin Davis.

It's hard to disagree with any of this. You didn't even mention Colin Kaepernick. He should be starting for us right now, IMO. 

But the thing is we needed to make a change or we risked losing the locker room. As I said earlier, we're scored 61 points in 5 games. Siemian has 3 TDs and 9 turnovers in that stretch. As bad as Brock played last year, he didn't have a stretch like that.

Bottom line is that we're in a horrible situation with no viable QB on our roster ATM. This is just the least crappy of crappy options.

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Sometimes, you have to accept your options suck. I'd start Siemian until Paxton is ready.

I implore you to go watch the last 5 Broncos games and tell me how you can start Simian any longer when the team is fed up with the offense. In those 5 games he has

3 TDs , 9 INTs, 64 QBR, 60% Comp, 19 Sacks

Awful.

53 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

It's hard to disagree with any of this. You didn't even mention Colin Kaepernick. He should be starting for us right now, IMO. 

But the thing is we needed to make a change or we risked losing the locker room. As I said earlier, we're scored 61 points in 5 games. Siemian has 3 TDs and 9 turnovers in that stretch. As bad as Brock played last year, he didn't have a stretch like that.

Bottom line is that we're in a horrible situation with no viable QB on our roster ATM. This is just the least crappy of crappy options.

He had a four-game stretch with 2 TDs to 6 picks.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I implore you to go watch the last 5 Broncos games and tell me how you can start Simian any longer when the team is fed up with the offense. In those 5 games he has

3 TDs , 9 INTs, 64 QBR, 60% Comp, 19 Sacks

Awful.

I implore you to watch Brock play football last year. It was even uglier.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I implore you to watch Brock play football last year. It was even uglier.

Oh Im not saying he was great at all, but I will say I am far more confident in Brock to at least lead TD drives because he has the ability to throw the ball downfield to open up some of the run game. Siemian average pass this season is 6.75 yards...... He is a dink and dunk QB who simply isnt talented enough to sustain a 15+ play drive without a huge mistake.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh Im not saying he was great at all, but I will say I am far more confident in Brock to at least lead TD drives because he has the ability to throw the ball downfield to open up some of the run game. Siemian average pass this season is 6.75 yards...... He is a dink and dunk QB who simply isnt talented enough to sustain a 15+ play drive without a huge mistake.

That's the thing. That's exactly what Brock doesn't do. He averaged 5.8 yards per attempt last year.

You've got two bad options. Siemian has shown better flashes than Brock.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's the thing. That's exactly what Brock doesn't do. He averaged 5.8 yards per attempt last year.

Thats because he was in a offense he wasnt confortable with not tailored to his strengths. In Denver in the 7/8 games he played he had multiple games where he averaged >10 yards per attempt because of Sanders/Thomas can really stretch the field. Again, im not saying that he is the answer because I fully expect that to be either Paxton Lynch/Josh Allen next year--but I think he can at least spark something after watching him play very very well at times in Denver.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats because he was in a offense he wasnt confortable with not tailored to his strengths. In Denver in the 7/8 games he played he had multiple games where he averaged >10 yards per attempt because of Sanders/Thomas can really stretch the field. Again, im not saying that he is the answer because I fully expect that to be either Paxton Lynch/Josh Allen next year--but I think he can at least spark something after watching him play very very well at times in Denver.

Deshaun Watson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Hoyer all managed to do just fine in that offense. And no, Brock didn't have multiple games where he averaged 10+ yards per attempt. He had one game, the Chargers game, which is also the game he got benched during for all the turnovers and the ineffective offense. In his other seven games, he eclipsed 7.0 yards per attempt just TWICE.

I worry way more about Brock facing Philadelphia then I ever did Siemian. Osweiler has proven he can play / win in this Offense and with these same players every bit as much if not more then Trevor. What he did as a Texan last year means nothing to me. Different Offense.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they try to implement a quick passing attack like the Giants did vs the Eagles to limit their Pass Rush and avoid negative plays. Especially if Sanders is back ! Only question is whether or not the Eagles can force TO's and continue to limit the Run? If not this game might surprise people.

Just like the Giants did in Denver a few weeks back.

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I worry way more about Brock facing Philadelphia then I ever did Siemian. Osweiler has proven he can play / win in this Offense and with these same players every bit as much if not more then Trevor. What he did as a Texan last year means nothing to me. Different Offense.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they try to implement a quick passing attack like the Giants did vs the Eagles to limit their Pass Rush and avoid negative plays. Especially if Sanders is back ! Only question is whether or not the Eagles can force TO's and continue to limit the Run? If not this game might surprise people.

Just like the Giants did in Denver a few weeks back.

And the Broncos' offense this year is also a different offense.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Wait, you're saying his problem in Houston was not having WRs to stretch the field? Like Hopkins and Fuller? That Texans offense is/was built to go deep. Osweiler just had no deep accuracy whatsoever.

14 hours ago, celestial said:

To prove a point about how absurd it is Osweiler keeps getting these starting roles, let me established that Brock Osweiler is:

1. Routinely ranked worse than Geno Smith was as a starter 

2. At an older age that Geno Smith was

3. With better weapons that Geno Smith ever played with

4. With nowhere near the excellent games Geno occasionally produced.. 

Yet the Lobster keeps getting chances to prove, once again, he is not better than Geno Smith. Or Boykin. Or Austin Davis. Osweiler is effectively an older rookie Kizer with less deep accuracy. He shouldn't be in the league, let alone starting over Trevor Siemian, Geno Smith or Austin Davis.

Honestly have no idea how he's still in the league. He'll probably still get signed again next season which is wild.

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think Brock is an embarrassment and should not be in the NFL. But you're wrong here. Siemian couldn't play another week. He's toast. The locker room is done with him and I don't think Vance had a choice this week. Lynch isn't healthy. Unfortunately it had to be Brock. All the QB position has to do in Denver is not turn the ball over. Siemian could not deliver and Brock probably won't either. 

Do I think the Broncos signing him as the back-up after Lynch got hurt is a joke? Absolutely. The dude is atrocious. I'm fully aware of how bad he is. The Broncos are a joke rn for starting him. But yeah, it had to happen. 

I expect Lynch to be in in a couple weeks. It's possible that Osweiler does enough for the Broncos to win games if the OL performs for the run game and the defense steps their turnovers up a notch, but that seems unlikely.

Archived