John Madden passes away

Forge

Definitely the GOAT Color Commentator for sure. No one comes close. No where close. 

As for coaching, just hard to compare era's. I suppose you would have to put Bellichick at the top. But Madden is #2 IMO, even with one Super Bowl. He has the best winning % in history and never had a losing season. Plus, he was just an iconic personality as a Head Coach and was 100% made for that position. #3 would probably be Bill Walsh, and #4 Chuck Noll, and #5 Vince Lombardi. 

I made this comment on YouTube tribute videos:

Madden is to football as Bob Ross is to painting. He made watching football fun, innocent and wholesome. In an age where you have toxic people like Nick Wright blasting negative hot takes and corporate stooges like Joe Buck, hearing Madden commentate is a breath of fresh air.

Peter King on Madden. The old SI article is a great read 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/03/antonio-brown-bucs-rams-covid-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

I got a lucky break early in my sophomore year at Sports Illustrated, 1990. John Madden agreed to let me ride with him on his bus, his Hyatt suite on wheels, from his home in the East Bay near Oakland to his apartment at the Dakota in New York City. Three thousand miles. He had already won five sports Emmys as the best color analyst in sports, already was the game’s biggest commercial pitchman, already had hosted Saturday Night Live, and he was in his 10th season alongside Pat Summerall as the top CBS NFL team.

This is the story I wrote for SI. I did have quite a few conversations (and one more bus trip with him) with him as his fame got mega, but this was the best time I spent with him. When you’re together for 55 hours, captive in a comfy silver tube, it tends to promote interesting conversation. With Madden’s death the other day, I’ve been thinking a lot about those three days on the bus—and, of course, all the things we didn’t talk about.

Edited by Xenos