John Madden passes away

Forge

I can’t think of very many people who had a bigger impact on the game of football and it’s growth Into the absolute powerhouse in the United States than he did.

Just a truly one of a kind guy at the absolute perfect time for the sport.

• Like 2

Indirectly, he's the only reason I became aware of the sport from over in Ireland, beyond Homer Simpsons speaking into his pint glass and Dan Marino being the target of Ray Finkel. 

RIP to legitimately one of the absolute biggest icons in the 100+ years of the sport. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

FS1 will air the Madden documentary in a hour. For those that didn’t watch it 

Thanks. I just told my dad. He missed out on watching it on Christmas Day. It was great. Honestly, I teared up watching it, and that was before he passed.

Apparently, it’s airing tomorrow night at the same time (8:00 central) too.

Gowdy and DeRogatis were easily the best commentator duo I ever heard. But no question John Madden took the Sunday telecasts to a new level of broadcaster prominence, which was very necessary since the Monday Night crew beginning in 1970 totally dominated that aspect for a decade or more. Even though I loved Gowdy and DeRogatis plus other network crews like Brookshier and Summerall, for the typical bar stool fan they were merely wading through the Sunday telecasts to behold the overpowering presence of Howard Cosell on Monday Night. Madden became prominent during the early '80s so there were a few years with Cosell on Monday Night following Madden on CBS on Sunday. Cosell was not accustomed to another broadcaster owning such spotlight. He became bitter with age and I remember at one point he claimed that Madden had already peaked and was mostly a creation of the print media anyway. Cosell said that anyone who thought Madden could make it on prime time telecasts didn't know anything about television.

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

103-32-7 record as a coach... 30 years in broadcasting... world famous game franchise named after him. What a life. RIP good sir

That's incredible.  It actually makes me feel better about losing a Super Bowl to his team.  He is a larger than life figure in the history of the sport and will be greatly missed.  When he gets to coach in heaven, I bet God will let Brett Favre be his quarterback.  Have fun up there, Coach!  

Rest in peace.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1