John Madden passes away

Forge

He is Mr. Football. The Super Bowl Era is pretty much defined by him.

• He coached in the last AFL Championship game.
  • The only person that won as often as he did in the NFL (.759) is Tom Brady. 
  • He won a Super Bowl 7 years later.
  • He was a Raiders LB coach for the Heidi game.
    • He coached in the Immaculate Reception game.
    • The Holy Roller game.
    • The Ghost to the Post game.

He was The #1 NFL Broadcaster for 21 years.

He's been most popular name in sports video games for 30+years.

He's always been kind and gracious and humble. He gave back as much as he could because he knew how good football had been to him.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say a bad thing about him (outside of maybe a ref or two while he was still coaching)

• Like 5

Everyone that is a huge American football fan knew this day was coming sooner rather than later. Doesn't make it any less demoralizing. Many have already shared their sentiments regarding John Madden's impact on their fandom with the sport, and it was a wholesome experience reading through all of the messages. The man had the best existence one could have asked for revolving around a sport they cherished, and built their livelihood upon. I think of John as someone I'll never have had the pleasure of meeting, yet at the same time feeling like he was a loving uncle I always knew. His ability to connect with people through sports via broadcasting was remarkable. I actually passed him once while he was sitting outside at a Chipotle restaurant on the streets of San Francisco. He was talking on the phone with someone, and smiling. In the words of Bill King " “John Madden is grinning from ear to ear. He looks like a split watermelon !” If I had to guess, I'm sure the conversation was of course football-related. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

22 years of excellence together

And now, for an eternity. I’m sure when John went upstairs, Pat Summerall looked at him and said “John, we missed the Cowboys-Football Team game this past Sunday, but we won’t miss the Cowboys-Cardinals, or the Cowboys-Eagles. Pull up a chair and grab the telestrator. We’ve got games to call.”

RIP to the legend, but I’m thrilled that he and Summerall are back together again.

RIP John Madden

I have to write something, because personally, the only reason I came to know of the NFL, besides Hollywood, and the thing that made me want to really check out the sport and learn it, were the Madden games.

I'm from Portugal, a country that has no ties to the NFL, and I mean absolutely nothing. We don't have shows about it, we know absolutely nothing about it through traditional media, since there's absolutely no coverage. Recently, news do talk about the Superbowl, but just because it's a massive event, and only in short news.

So, Madden games where my first insight into what the NFL was all about, and his name and voice, were the things that wrapped my experience, before I started watching some games. Imagine my astonishment when I first watched a game he was commenting on, and not only was this person, a truly inspiring personality, but was also one of the best coaches ever. He was an entertainer, but not because of his lack of knowledge for the game, it was just his approach, and his way of getting people to love the game, as much as he did.

Unfortunately people may remember him for his late years, when he did struggle as a commentator, but he had already done his job as, probably, the most influential person in promoting the NFL, has a player, coach, commentator, and overall face of the sport.

Thank you, John Madden!

• Like 4