2022 draft prospects general discussion

AZBearsFan

17 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Wouldn't be the first time.

Ummm...okay?

So, you bring in competition for both would-be starting tackles, the center, and at least one guard, then? Am I reading this right? 

This wouldn't be allocating every asset to the OL...but it would be close

That move makes sense. Get a decent swing guy on board, someone who could take Wilkinson's place, maybe become a starter if need be. I'd be down with that. 

No, I don't believe bringing in a solid yet cheap-ish OT like Trent Brown, Mike Remmers or Eric Fisher, a solid yet cheap-ish G like Glowinski (or keeping Daniels) and bringing in a solid yet-cheap ish C like a 2nd or 3rd round pick uses up the majority of resources. In my scenario above that leaves a 2nd OR 3rd, two 5's and a 6 + about 35-40 million dollars in cap space to address DL, WR, DB and LB

Edited by beardown3231

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

No, I don't believe bringing in a solid yet cheap-ish OT like Trent Brown, Mike Remmers or Eric Fisher, a solid yet cheap-ish G like Glowinski (or keeping Daniels) and bringing in a solid yet-cheap ish C like a 2nd or 3rd round pick uses up the majority of resources. In my scenario above that leaves a 2nd OR 3rd, two 5's and a 6 + about 35-40 million dollars in cap space to address DL, WR, DB and LB

We fundamentally disagree on the foundation of the hypothetical, then. I don't think Brown or Fisher would come cheap. Remmers might. 

In your new scenario, you also say you'd like to bring in three new guys, in a combination of FA and draft picks...which is reasonable. I could see that happening. 

And for the record, I'm not totally opposed to a big move--like getting Scherff and letting Daniels and/or Whitehair walk...but that would make me kinda nervous. 

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

The thing is if you cut Whitehair you pay his full cap AND then another $200K (pre-June 1st) on top of it, then still have to replace him. That is why I can't see him being on another team in 2022. But in 2023 you save about $5.8 mil by cutting him. We should keep him because he can play C or G and let us get the best players we can and patch him in the open spot. Then in 2023 we try to replace him at a far more affordable click.

Here are numbers  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/cody-whitehair-19005/:

Keeping him with no restructure in 2022 is 12,300,000 cap hit. 

2022 cutting or trading him pre-6/1:

2022 Dead Cap: $12,508,000
2022 Cap Savings: $-208,000

2022 Post 6/1 trade or cut is:

2022 Dead Cap: $4,202,000
2023 Dead Cap: $8,306,000
2022 Cap Savings: $8,098,000

2023 PRE 6/1 trade or cut is:

2023 Dead Cap: $8,306,000
2023 Cap Savings: $5,794,000

2023 POST-6/1 RELEASE or Trade is:

2023 Dead Cap: $4,202,000
2024 Dead Cap: $4,104,000
2023 Cap Savings: $9,898,000

With that being said here is another consideration. 

If you cut him or trade him pre-6/1 2022 you take the 12.5 hit this year, but there is nothing left going forward after this year at all.  It is completely clear.  Giving you more space in 2023 or can pay a younger player this year and structure it so bigger hit comes next year with the extra space.   

While if you keep him Bears have to pay him 8.1 million more in real dollars this season and still get the 12 mil cap hit either way.   Bears would still owe him a couple million more I think in guarantees, but some team will pick him up and if that happens I don't think they have to pay him that couple million as it will be offset by his new team paying him.   

Bears are going to be shelling out a lot of dough for Arlington and won't see returns for awhile.  Every million in real dollars spent will matter for a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

We fundamentally disagree on the foundation of the hypothetical, then. I don't think Brown or Fisher would come cheap. Remmers might. 

In your new scenario, you also say you'd like to bring in three new guys, in a combination of FA and draft picks...which is reasonable. I could see that happening. 

And for the record, I'm not totally opposed to a big move--like getting Scherff and letting Daniels and/or Whitehair walk...but that would make me kinda nervous. 

Brown made 9M last year. Fisher made 8.2 or something. To me that's cheap for a potentially starting OT

Scherff would be a mistake: good player but constantly hurt

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Brown made 9M last year. Fisher made 8.2 or something. To me that's cheap for a potentially starting OT

That's not bad at all. I remembered Fisher making more than that--obviously I was wrong. 

Yeah...those are doable numbers (or close). Even for a swing tackle. Well, depending on how everything else is balanced out, of course. 

On 2/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, beardown3231 said:

Scherff would be a mistake: good player but constantly hurt

This is how I feel about Terron Armstead. He’s never had an NFL season (9 years) where he didn’t miss at least one game due to injury. He’s been a full-time starter the past 8 seasons for NO and he missed at least 6 games in half of those seasons (9 last year). 

• Like 4

Some good numbers for receivers we could be interested in...

David Bell at 6-1" 212lbs...31'7/8" arms & 9'1/4" hands

George Pickens at 6-3" 195lbs...32 3/8" arms & 8' 3/4" hands

Jalen Tolbert at 6-1" 194lbs...32'1/4" arms & 10" hands

Really looking forward to seeing these guys go through drills...

Another guy who has come on my radar recently as a later round pick is Reggie Roberson Jr. 5-11" 192lbs with 32'5/8" arms and 9'1/2" hands...wasn't great at SMU last year finishing 3rd in receiving yards and TDs...what interests me more is what he did in 2020 & 2019 where he averaged 21.55 YPC & 18.67 YPC when he had Shane Buechele as his QB...given that ability to win deep he seems like the guy of guy who could have an impact here...5th round would be a nice fit for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Another guy who has come on my radar recently as a later round pick is Reggie Roberson Jr. 5-11" 192lbs with 32'5/8" arms and 9'1/2" hands...wasn't great at SMU last year finishing 3rd in receiving yards and TDs...what interests me more is what he did in 2020 & 2019 where he averaged 21.55 YPC & 18.67 YPC when he had Shane Buechele as his QB...given that ability to win deep he seems like the guy of guy who could have an impact here...5th round would be a nice fit for him.

I'd really like for Poles to double down with a spot or two. WR, OT, and CB are all needs and really deep classes this year too.

If we would double down with WRs then I'd really like to look at Alec Pierce. Watching him reminds me a lot of Alshon and Josh Gordon (not saying he will be as good either, just by style used). Doesn't run the sharpest routes but super physical and makes a lot of contested catches. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a 4.40 or under either. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd really like for Poles to double down with a spot or two. WR, OT, and CB are all needs and really deep classes this year too.

If we would double down with WRs then I'd really like to look at Alec Pierce. Watching him reminds me a lot of Alshon and Josh Gordon (not saying he will be as good either, just by style used). Doesn't run the sharpest routes but super physical and makes a lot of contested catches. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a 4.40 or under either. 

Pierce is a guy I like too...bit of Jordy Nelson in his game IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Pickens ❤️

Bell’s 4.6 40 x2 will raise questions for sure. Quickness stuff will be paramount for him. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pickens ❤️

Bell’s 4.6 40 x2 will raise questions for sure. Quickness stuff will be paramount for him. 

The jumps are the big concern for me...Poles is preaching explosiveness...not seeing a lot of that from Bell...

I still feel he will be a good receiver at the next level but I am not sure he is what Poles wants.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The jumps are the big concern for me...Poles is preaching explosiveness...not seeing a lot of that from Bell...

I still feel he will be a good receiver at the next level but I am not sure he is what Poles wants.

He’s also preaching playmakers. Bell definitely does have that. 4.64 and a 33” vertical are gonna for sure make people check his game tape speed more closely though.