2022 draft prospects general discussion

AZBearsFan

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I didn't know who this is. In case you're in the same boat:

There is a "man vs. boys" kinda thing going on...but the traits and the instinctual play making abilities are undeniable. 

Like his moves in the open field. The video is weird to me, because he doesn’t look fast, but at the same time he’s running away from everyone, and the internet (which never lies, obvs) says he runs a reported 4.43. And he also looks bigger than everyone in that video, but when I googled him he’s only 5’9” 190 lb.

Edited by AZBearsFan

TCU OT Obinna Eze is an interesting prospect in the mid rounds...6-6" near 330lbs with over 36" arms and a 86" wing span he has the physical tools to play inside or out on the OL...he is far more athletic than you would think at his size and if anything will need to work on his strength at the next level...could make for an interesting RT prospect if we wanted to move Borom inside to guard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

TCU OT Obinna Eze is an interesting prospect in the mid rounds...6-6" near 330lbs with over 36" arms and a 86" wing span he has the physical tools to play inside or out on the OL...he is far more athletic than you would think at his size and if anything will need to work on his strength at the next level...could make for an interesting RT prospect if we wanted to move Borom inside to guard.

I’m really starting to think that shifting to Jenkins to RT and signing a true LT makes the most sense for us, with Borom being a capable swing tackle at a bargain basement price for us for the next 3 years. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m really starting to think that shifting to Jenkins to RT and signing a true LT makes the most sense for us, with Borom being a capable swing tackle at a bargain basement price for us for the next 3 years. 

I would be a big fan of going down that road as well but signing a LT would cost a lot of money and we have a ton of needs to fill...if Poles is true to his word their isn't many 2nd or 3rd wave true LTs out there.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Just find him protection and he can find anyone anywhere on the field.

Tru was sabotaged by garbage playcalling, coaching and OL play (though he never had top 10 potential imo). Hopefully Poles is the real deal and gets the OL straight so we don't waste Fields. Dude has insane physical gifts and can be a stud if developed.

Getting rid of Nagy was the big first step, hopefully the new OC is as good as advertised. If Eberflus can make sure the OL is giving 100% that will make a big difference as well. Way too many times the OL was watching the play under Nagy, and their jerseys were way too clean at the end of the game. 

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Tru was sabotaged by garbage playcalling, coaching and OL play (though he never had top 10 potential imo). Hopefully Poles is the real deal and gets the OL straight so we don't waste Fields. Dude has insane physical gifts and can be a stud if developed.

Tru is responsible for sabotaging himself as much as anyone else is. I held out hope...but he dashed it. Repeatedly.

I think all the pearl clutching about the OL is silly. (Not calling you out specifically, dude. There's a bunch of it about.) The OL was much better at the end of the season than they were at the beginning--for obvious reasons. Now, Poles can really address the line in a big way, and that's fine...but in reality kicking Mustipher to the curb represents a huge stride forward for the team. 

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Getting rid of Nagy was the big first step, hopefully the new OC is as good as advertised. If Eberflus can make sure the OL is giving 100% that will make a big difference as well. Way too many times the OL was watching the play under Nagy, and their jerseys were way too clean at the end of the game. 

Eberflus at least sounds like he has head on straight, and truly gets what a HC needs to do. Saying Nagy was lost might be being kind. 

I'm not crowning Eberflus as of yet (we'll have to wait for the pre-season for that 😁), but Nagy was, often times, an utter ******* joke...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Tru is responsible for sabotaging himself as much as anyone else is. I held out hope...but he dashed it. Repeatedly.

Tru was disappointing but I look at it like when I trained my Site Managers and Supervisors. I was totally hands on and even had them shadow me, then I shadowed them to watch and give immediate feedback, and then I would give more room until they are comfortable. Tru was thrown into the water without any prepwork, the offense was way too advanced and made zero sense. Then Nagy took away this athleticism from the offense. We saw some of the same idiocy with Fields at the helm, single blocking elite blockers and not even having proper hot routes. It was borderline sabotage.

I think all the pearl clutching about the OL is silly. (Not calling you out specifically, dude. There's a bunch of it about.) The OL was much better at the end of the season than they were at the beginning--for obvious reasons. Now, Poles can really address the line in a big way, and that's fine...but in reality kicking Mustipher to the curb represents a huge stride forward for the team. 

Completely understand your point but I think it was closer to Tru's "breakout" where he looked like an elite QB for a bit in 2018. In reality it was just beating up on terrible defenses. This time the offensive line just played a depleted MIN defense twice, the Giants (who were terrible), a SEA team that was really underachieving (they gave up 29 to DET the week following giving up 25 to us), and a GB defense that was in a lull (they gave up 30 to a Tyler Huntley led offense the following week). From week 11 on Monty only averaged over 4 ypc in two games (none in the last 4 games).

We ended the season with the most sacks and highest adjusted sack rate in the NFL, and were in the bottom 10 for adjusted line yards, stuffed percentage, and power success (getting a first down on runs with 2 or less yards on 3rd or 4th down). Considering Peters was our best OL this year I think we have much more than Mustipher to worry about (my words, not saying anything directly at anyone else). Daniels had streaks of good play, Whitehair was meh, Borom had streaks but as a rookie I was impressed, and Jenkins was damn jittery but also showed promise. Both Borom and Jenkins need to make a major step forward. As you said though, getting someone else in at C for hm would be a hell of a start.

Eberflus at least sounds like he has head on straight, and truly gets what a HC needs to do. Saying Nagy was lost might be being kind. 

I'm not crowning Eberflus as of yet (we'll have to wait for the pre-season for that 😁), but Nagy was, often times, an utter ******* joke...

Right there with you. He SEEMS like he has a good plan, and wants to be the one ensuring his coaches are being intense teachers. But talk only means so much, let's see if he can really instill that mentality into the team. He gets his allotted time to adjust and grow but he is going to get flack from early on like everyone. lol

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 12:51 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Jenkins' best long-term position might be OG where his problems with speed are minimized.

Bears need to start putting guys in positions to succeed. Jenkins is a mauler. Let him do what he does well.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Jenkins' best long-term position might be OG where his problems with speed are minimized.

Bears need to start putting guys in positions to succeed. Jenkins is a mauler. Let him do what he does well.

I think Jenkins could be excellent inside too, and if he were ever to get kicked inside it would be by those who didn’t draft him top 40 to be a tackle, and if Poles & Co. are open to moving him inside it frees up added options for what they might look to add in FA or the draft. No matter what we do we need to add at least 2 starting OL this offseason (assuming Daniels is gone).

With that said, I still think Jenkins can be an excellent tackle too. I don’t put a ton of stock in what he could or couldn’t do coming off of basically no offseason work and minimal practice being thrust right into the fire at the end of last season. 

Equally important to the equation will be how the new staff views Borom. I think Jenkins transitions better inside than Borom does, but if the new regime doesn’t see a starter in Borom then moving Jenkins inside right now probably makes less sense than keeping him at one of the tackle spots. Someone has to play outside, and right now Borom and Jenkins are the only tackles on the roster. Jenkins certainly has the highest ceiling, so maybe it makes more sense to have him sliding inside to OG as a backup plan for 2023 should he not develop as hoped outside (the more important position) in 2022. Whitehair is probably gone after 2022 if he’s not a post-6/1 cut this year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Equally important to the equation will be how the new staff views Borom. I think Jenkins transitions better inside than Borom does, but if the new regime doesn’t see a starter in Borom then moving Jenkins inside right now probably makes less sense than keeping him at one of the tackle spots. Someone has to play outside, and right now Borom and Jenkins are the only tackles on the roster.

Agree that Borom makes more sense outside than Jenkins. Seems like signing a veteran swing OT/G and drafting an OT makes most sense. I don't think the Bears have 2 future OTs on the roster right now.

Give them both (Jenkins and Borom)  a chance to be OTs first I say.   Kick them inside if they can't play OT.

Or I  understand if you pay a high price veteran OT then one would have to be kicked in rather than having a better FB player ride bench as a back up OT.

But whole idea of OL building to me is draft high end OL talent, college OTs are usually more talented than Gs and Cs, and put it all together outside in.   

Then best 5 play - though not everyone can snap football well.   So not everyone can play C.

I think Jenkins and Borom are fine talents.   They can both play somewhere on OL.   Preferably to me at OTs if they work out there.  And assuming Jenkins' back holds up.

I like idea of bringing back Peters, if he isn't retiring, as your 6th man OL.  Near every team was using this run package in 2021.   Bears just did it with lessor talent.

But Peters would be great at that.   It lessons his snaps at his age.  Gives him something he would excel at.   And he provides depth at OT in a pinch.

I say sign a real good vet C.   I would sign the best available - which is Jensen I believe.   He instantly makes everyone better across board and C was a leaky hole last year.  

Let Daniels walk.   Mustipher should be a back up at best.   

Whitehair stays at LG.   Draft another college OT to add to mix.   Resign Peters.  Resign Ifedi and Bars for pennies because they are position versatile.   You have your large long term project player in Wheatley.

Best 5 play (aside from Peters who shouldn't be an every down player barring injuries).

Then you still have money for a CB and WR which you also desperately need.   

So FA targets to me should be Jensen, quality CB, quality WR.

Unfortunately Bears really only have two money draft picks.  Meaning a pick in first 3 rounds which you hope is a starter.

So I think they should go BPA that isn't a guard or ILB.   I wouldn't expect a lot of help from draft this year.   Getting one plus player would be nice.   

Good news is you have a rookie QB.   So there is money to spend in next 3 years and you should have your full slate of DPs next year.  You are looking for quality FAs that can help Fields in next 2 maybe 3 years.   Jensen obviously fits that bill to me.  

You still need to find a good OT.  Hopefully you have at least one on your roster already.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Completely understand your point but I think it was closer to Tru's "breakout" where he looked like an elite QB for a bit in 2018. In reality it was just beating up on terrible defenses. This time the offensive line just played a depleted MIN defense twice, the Giants (who were terrible), a SEA team that was really underachieving (they gave up 29 to DET the week following giving up 25 to us), and a GB defense that was in a lull (they gave up 30 to a Tyler Huntley led offense the following week). From week 11 on Monty only averaged over 4 ypc in two games (none in the last 4 games).

Everybody gets paid. And Jenkins and Borom did just fine--after being injured, as rookies. I watched the games. I saw them play. I saw the results. 

Should we replace Fields because he didn't get us to the playoffs?

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Give them both (Jenkins and Borom)  a chance to be OTs first I say.   Kick them inside if they can't play OT.

It would be ridiculous if the Bears signed Terron Armstead to a huge contract--and Jenkins outplayed him in camp. That would be a clear indication Poles was a bad hire. 

Everyone is overreacting, and from what I've seen, it's because of the Chicago media. Apparently the Chicago media stopped paying attention to anything once it became clear Pace and  Nagy were going to be fired. So, whatever.

Try and sign Jensen. Use the rest of your money on wide receivers or defensive backs. 

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Everybody gets paid. And Jenkins and Borom did just fine--after being injured, as rookies. I watched the games. I saw them play. I saw the results. 

Should we replace Fields because he didn't get us to the playoffs?

What in the straw man did you say? Lol

Literally nothing I said indicated they needed replaced. They both need to be better (99% of all rookies have that expectation) and pieces around them need improved. If there is any logical argument against that then I'd love to hear it.  Our best OL was almost 39 years old. That's an indictment much more on the other vets than the rookies. 

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It would be ridiculous if the Bears signed Terron Armstead to a huge contract--and Jenkins outplayed him in camp. That would be a clear indication Poles was a bad hire. 

Agreed. Signing Armstead to a huge contract would be ridiculous regardless of how well he or anyone else plays. The guy is fragile and over 30. 

• Like 1