2022 draft prospects general discussion

AZBearsFan

On 2/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Madmike90 said:

After listening to Poles I am thinking we might move down and target a few OL at the end of the 2nd or 3rd round.

The guy I'm standing on a table for is Ed Ingram out of LSU.  The guy looks like a plug and play starting LG in a zone scheme.  He'll probably be available later in round two if the Bears decide to move down

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

The guy I'm standing on a table for is Ed Ingram out of LSU.  The guy looks like a plug and play starting LG in a zone scheme.  He'll probably be available later in round two if the Bears decide to move down

I really like Ingram at #71 or with a trade back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I get the feeling that he won't be around at #71.  If the Bears move back into the late 40's or in the 50's would be around the time he's gonna get drafted.

I like the idea of getting Ingram and the guy he reminds me of...Trai Turner in FA...I think that would really help us inside in the zone scheme if we don't want to do with college OTs inside.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 11:20 PM, Jeezla said:

If I'm a Bears fan, I'd be hoping Chris Olave made it to round 2. Not that they would be another Burrow to Chase, but giving Fields a familiar target would probably help his development.

Christian Watson showing out all week in Mobile can’t hurt the chances of that happening. Someone like that coming in with instant chemistry with Fields would be huge IMO. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I like the idea of getting Ingram and the guy he reminds me of...Trai Turner in FA...I think that would really help us inside in the zone scheme if we don't want to do with college OTs inside.

I think if you draft Ingram and slide Whitehair back to Center, then you have the beginnings of a pretty solid young O Line.  Not to mention you don't have to bring in a big money FA to play guard or center.  You could spend that money elsewhere whether it be WR, CB, or LB

10 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I think if you draft Ingram and slide Whitehair back to Center, then you have the beginnings of a pretty solid young O Line.  Not to mention you don't have to bring in a big money FA to play guard or center.  You could spend that money elsewhere whether it be WR, CB, or LB

It's hard to say exactly what kind of scheme Getsy will run, but if it's really based on the Moorehead offense, there's going to be a lot of pistol and shotgun formation. Whitehair had a number of issues snapping during his time at center and it lead to really costly turnovers/plays. I don't think we can put him back at Center.

Honestly, Whitehair is a guy I'm hoping isn't even a starter next year. He wasn't Mustipher levels of bad, but he was getting blown back into the backfield numerous times/ giving up interior pressure.  He's just behind Mustipher for me on the "replace ASAP" board. Sadly, he's the one still under contract where Daniels is the FA (and I'm honestly not SUPER excited to resign Daniels either, even when he has been the best we've got)

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

It's hard to say exactly what kind of scheme Getsy will run, but if it's really based on the Moorehead offense, there's going to be a lot of pistol and shotgun formation. Whitehair had a number of issues snapping during his time at center and it lead to really costly turnovers/plays. I don't think we can put him back at Center.

Honestly, Whitehair is a guy I'm hoping isn't even a starter next year. He wasn't Mustipher levels of bad, but he was getting blown back into the backfield numerous times/ giving up interior pressure.  He's just behind Mustipher for me on the "replace ASAP" board. Sadly, he's the one still under contract where Daniels is the FA (and I'm honestly not SUPER excited to resign Daniels either, even when he has been the best we've got)

While I agree Whitehair does have snapping issues in the past, I think it's a little overblown.  I remember issues his rookie year because he was thrown in it last minute.  I don't recall them the year he actually played C the entire off season.  Long story short, I think if he has time to work on snapping and snapping only he isn't that bad.  Even with the snapping issue he is an upgrade from Mustipher.  Last year I thought Whitehair was just ok and might have had an off year or was injured or something.  As far as Daniels I think he's only scratching the surface of his talent, and he's what 24 years old?  You can move Whitehair to Center, resign Daniels, and see if the line improves overall,  One thing you have to admit is that line gave running lanes to Montgomery and Herbert, so I'm optimistic that they can at be consistent in that part of the offense

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

I would cut Whitehair and use the money to resign Daniels to play centre.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

If you do that then you either have to use Mustipher again or sign a FA.  Not to mention the dead cap money for Whitehair.  It is easier to resign Daniels, use Whitehair one more year ( you could draft his replacement) and see if the new O Line coach can get the best out of the bunch

Just now, GBHalas said:

If you do that then you either have to use Mustipher again or sign a FA.  Not to mention the dead cap money for Whitehair.  It is easier to resign Daniels, use Whitehair one more year ( you could draft his replacement) and see if the new O Line coach can get the best out of the bunch

You would use Daniels at C...sign an FA guard then draft another guard...keeps the cost down and ups the OL level since Whitehair has been bad over the past two season...I would take the $4 million in dead money to save $8 million which could then pay for Daniels and possible one other depth pick up.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I always liked Daniels at C, but he hasn’t played there in 2 years now, so there’s some risk in that too. I go back and forth on Daniels - at times last year he looked great, but he was also took 9 penalties last year to Whitehair’s 5. Take for what you will, but their PFF rankings were very similar (71 for Daniels, 66 for Whitehair). Both were mainstays from that group of OL that repeatedly wasn’t helping Fields up after he got it last year too, and it’s possible Poles doesn’t want either here.

Saving $8M in 2022 on Whitehair being a post-6/1 cut is enough to sign Jensen to a long term deal to play C for you cap-wise and you get a clear upgrade over both incumbents, and I would go even further and sign both Jensen and Cappa to upgrade (IMO) at both spots with 2 IOL who already have chemistry with each other. In this hypothetical you’re drafting the other OG and starting Jenkins and Borom at OT, which would give us an entirely young OL except for Jensen (entering age 31 season), all of whom are under multi-year deals. Continuity and talent should be the goal, and this would give us that. 

With all of that said, we can’t forget that to cut Whitehair you’re doing so as a post-6/1 cut, so you don’t actually realize the cap savings until 6/2. Other cuts we’re looking to do (Trevathan and Goldman, specifically) are also likely to be post-6/1, so while it’s probably not an issue in this hypothetical you’d need to keep cognizant that we may not be able to make official some moves until later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I always liked Daniels at C, but he hasn’t played there in 2 years now, so there’s some risk in that too. I go back and forth on Daniels - at times last year he looked great, but he was also took 9 penalties last year to Whitehair’s 5. Take for what you will, but their PFF rankings were very similar (71 for Daniels, 66 for Whitehair). Both were mainstays from that group of OL that repeatedly wasn’t helping Fields up after he got it last year too, and it’s possible Poles doesn’t want either here.

Saving $8M in 2022 on Whitehair being a post-6/1 cut is enough to sign Jensen to a long term deal to play C for you cap-wise and you get a clear upgrade over both incumbents, and I would go even further and sign both Jensen and Cappa to upgrade (IMO) at both spots with 2 IOL who already have chemistry with each other. In this hypothetical you’re drafting the other OG and starting Jenkins and Borom at OT, which would give us an entirely young OL except for Jensen (entering age 31 season), all of whom are under multi-year deals. Continuity and talent should be the goal, and this would give us that. 

With all of that said, we can’t forget that to cut Whitehair you’re doing so as a post-6/1 cut, so you don’t actually realize the cap savings until 6/2. Other cuts we’re looking to do (Trevathan and Goldman, specifically) are also likely to be post-6/1, so while it’s probably not an issue in this hypothetical you’d need to keep cognizant that we may not be able to make official some moves until later. 

I went to go watch some coaches tape on Daniels to see how he looked in a few games and my gamepass says I am not subscribed.

The NFL has the worst streaming product in all the internet for a big business and they charge the most.