Divisional Round: 49ers @ Packers: Postgame - Packers lose 13-10, season ends due to worst STs in history!

FAH1223

Anxiety Meter  

84 members have voted

1. 1. You nervous?

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Packers have had a mediocre run-game all season, so I don't expect us to be able to run very consistently against their d-front

Hmmm...

Our RBs have combined for 1600yds and 9 TDs (not to mention their contributions to the passing game are extensions of our running game: 700 yds and 8 TDs).

Both are ranked in the top 6 of ALL RBs in the NFL by PFF as well (and the proverbial "eye test" confirms this).

Our running game game success and our talented duo are going to be a huge reason for our playoff success.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BAM said:

Concussion symptoms and recoveries are serendipitous to each time they happen. Some times they are quick and symptoms are quite mild, other times they are severe and take a long time for full recovery. Frankly I think Nick suffered a concussion in week 15 this season, but after his screening he was allowed to return.

Screening is not an exact science. If is were solely up to Bosa he would be playing on Saturday against the Packers. However, it is not up to him and he only has until Saturday to clear full protocol to be able to play on Saturday. Warner's previous ankle injury took a week and a half before he could even practice. This may or not be the case this time, but odds are he will be limited at best.

Regardless of Bosa's and Warner's game status, the Packers need to focus on their play and what they can control. If they do, they are the superior team and should win on their home turf/

Judging by how Bosa’s head got jammed backwards, I’m more inclined to think his neck is going to be a bigger issue than the concussion.  But that’s my uneducated gut feeling.  He may have symptoms of both that he’ll have to deal with this week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Hmmm...

Our RBs have combined for 1600yds and 9 TDs (not to mention their contributions to the passing game are extensions of our running game: 700 yds and 8 TDs).

Both are ranked in the top 6 of ALL RBs in the NFL by PFF as well (and the proverbial "eye test" confirms this).

Our running game game success and our talented duo are going to be a huge reason for our playoff success.

If we had Hill this season the numbers would be even crazier...

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Hmmm...

When we faced them earlier this season the Packers rushed 25 times for 100 yards, a 4.0 average, the 49ers rushed 21 times for 67 yards, a 3.2 average.

That game in the Bay was its own beast, but like you incognito_man, I think the Packers have a much better running game than some are willing to concede.

14 hours ago, Refugee said:

Living out here in SF, it’s going to be a long short week at work. Hopefully I get to enjoy the one after that. 

No ducking come playoff time and I’m not afraid of anyone out there. We’ll be at Lambeau rested and dam sure better be ready to rumble. We’re the top dogs and we can win in a variety of ways. Let’s go!

Huh. I'm out here too. And all the inlaws are 9ers fans too. My best move is to lay low this week. We'll watch the game together, we'll be complimentary of good plays, but I want a playoff revenge after the last time the 9ers bounced the Packers. I want to be the one to walk out of that house with hope. At least my kid is rooting for the Packers after growing up in 9er country. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BAM said:

When we faced them earlier this season the Packers rushed 25 times for 100 yards, a 4.0 average, the 49ers rushed 21 times for 67 yards, a 3.2 average.

That game in the Bay was its own beast, but like you incognito_man, I think the Packers have a much better running game than some are willing to concede.

Look no further than the Jordan Love opportunities if you want to know what our run game actually looks like. It doesn't go without a legitimate pass threat. The defense has to be guessing run/pass in order for it to work, and the quarterback has to be able to make them pay for whatever they guess.

It is hard to appreciate Davante's value without Rodgers, just like it is hard to appreciate the value of our run game without Rodgers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Look no further than the Jordan Love opportunities if you want to know what our run game actually looks like. It doesn't go without a legitimate pass threat. The defense has to be guessing run/pass in order for it to work, and the quarterback has to be able to make them pay for whatever they guess.

It is hard to appreciate Davante's value without Rodgers, just like it is hard to appreciate the value of our run game without Rodgers. 

Football is a beautiful team sport. Of course Rodgers talent contributes to Jones', Adams' and Dillon's success. Likewise, Jones' Adams' Jones and the rest of the team talent contribute to Aaron's success.

In my opinion, over worshipping any single player and forgetting that success is dependent on the whole operating together diminishes the complexity and beauty of this great team sport.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Hmmm...

I agree on your main points.  Dillon has been terrific and Jones has been variably good, too.  Those guys are a very talented backfield, and will contribute to a good run, if the Packer do advance.  Both are terrific in the blocking game; and both are good on the receiving end, too.  So having two excellent all-around backs is terrific.  

As a team, they were 20th in YPC and 18th in total yards.  Despite an MVP QB in a pass-sets-up-run league.  

That was then, this is now, of course.  Wwho knows, maybe Myers, Turner, and Bakhti will turn the run-blocking from sub-par to average or above-average, and two plus backs running behind average-plus run-blocking will result in excellent ypc, who knows?  I sure hope so.  

Incog, I'm not suggesting this is you.  But sometimes I think Packer fans think we have this great running game, and that in cold-weather we can just get physical and run to victory.  I think as has been true for the last two seasons, it needs to support and complement the pass game; but the run game will likely be setting up a lot of 3rd downs that will need to succeed via the pass.  And the run game isn't so strong that **if** they've got a lead in the 4th quarter, that they'll just be able to run their way to first downs to secure a victory.  

Granted, it sure would be cool if the new o-line suddenly opened things up for the backs, so that they aren't so often getting hit at the line of scrimmage.  

I just hope we have a better officiated game than last time.   The regular season game was marred by complete ineptness from the zebras.   

How they missed the blow to the head that Adams took, and then call Stokes for PI when he never touched the receiver on the next series is the stuff of professional wrestling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BAM said:

Football is a beautiful team sport. Of course Rodgers talent contributes to Jones', Adams' and Dillon's success. Likewise, Jones' Adams' Jones and the rest of the team talent contribute to Aaron's success.

In my opinion, over worshipping any single player and forgetting that success is dependent on the whole operating together diminishes the complexity and beauty of this great team sport.

Not any more.  It's all about the QB.  You don't win without one.  Pretty simple stuff.  Put Love out there instead of Rodgers and this team falls apart.  Look who is in the playoffs.  Brady, Mahommes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers all top flight QB's.  It's like that every year.  Team sport yes but you can put a stud QB on a bad team and you'll still win games.  Have a really good team without a QB guess what you don't.  Get the gist of what you are saying but really in the NFL it's all about the QB.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BAM said:

Biggest difference this time around is the Niners will be using Mitchell and Deebo for those carries. In the first matchup, Niners didn't have Mitchell for that game and only gave Deebo 2 carries.

30 minutes ago, BAM said:

Some rb's can just make an offense go. AP, Lynch in his prime, Henry. Dillon isn't those guys IMO.

Jones isn't McCafrey or Kamara

Edited by HokieHigh

6 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Not any more.  It's all about the QB.  You don't win without one.  Pretty simple stuff.  Put Love out there instead of Rodgers and this team falls apart.  Look who is in the playoffs.  Brady, Mahommes, Burrow, Allen, Rodgers all top flight QB's.  It's like that every year.  Team sport yes but you can put a stud QB on a bad team and you'll still win games.  Have a really good team without a QB guess what you don't.  Get the gist of what you are saying but really in the NFL it's all about the QB.

You mean like Jimmy G? 

• Like 2