Divisional Round: 49ers @ Packers: Postgame - Packers lose 13-10, season ends due to worst STs in history!

FAH1223

Anxiety Meter  

84 members have voted

1. 1. You nervous?

16 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

So riddle me this, the 9ers have been using Kittle sparingly as of late.  He was barely targeted yesterday - 3 targets for 1 catch - and over the past four games he’s only had a handful of both.  So what’s going on, is he injured or something?  Coincidentally (or not), as Kittle’s numbers have been dropping, Debo’s numbers have been going up.

You still need to gameplan for him.  

Shanahan will try to have packages for SF various weapons.  Early game script will be used to see how defense is trying to play them.  Playcalling is adjusted accordingly.

Deebo, Kittle,  Mitchell,  Aiyuk, Jennings, Juszczyk.   That is probably the base pecking order.  

Kittle is a top tier TE blocker that can serve as a great run game asset and pass game asset as a receiver or edge blocker.  Put a safety over him on a passing down and it fires up Deebo/ Aiyuk to operate in more space.

• Like 1

It would be nice on the defense if the offense was producing lots of first downs and stacking up scores and long possessions.  A cold Jimmy G and a cold offense, against a well-rested Packer defense, that could work.  As Aaron has mentioned, the cold also feels worse when you're losing.  I'd REALLY like to see the Packers somehow make the first quarter work and get ahead early.  That obviously hasn't been the script much this season, but man would it be nice to come out firing and score a TD on the first possession (or two).  Get the lead and get command. 

6 minutes ago, craig said:

It would be nice on the defense if the offense was producing lots of first downs and stacking up scores and long possessions.  A cold Jimmy G and a cold offense, against a well-rested Packer defense, that could work.  As Aaron has mentioned, the cold also feels worse when you're losing.  I'd REALLY like to see the Packers somehow make the first quarter work and get ahead early.  That obviously hasn't been the script much this season, but man would it be nice to come out firing and score a TD on the first possession (or two).  Get the lead and get command. 

This.

Jimmy G has tiny hands and a bad thumb. 

*Edit - I can't find a single cold weather game he's played in the NFL. Major advantage for us.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

So riddle me this, the 9ers have been using Kittle sparingly as of late.  He was barely targeted yesterday - 3 targets for 1 catch - and over the past four games he’s only had a handful of both.  So what’s going on, is he injured or something?  Coincidentally (or not), as Kittle’s numbers have been dropping, Debo’s numbers have been going up.

Don't underestimate the GB defense. You know Kittle is gonna get loose at least once. I'm expecting the 49ers to attack the middle of the field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BAM said:

Football is a beautiful team sport. Of course Rodgers talent contributes to Jones', Adams' and Dillon's success. Likewise, Jones' Adams' Jones and the rest of the team talent contribute to Aaron's success.

In my opinion, over worshipping any single player and forgetting that success is dependent on the whole operating together diminishes the complexity and beauty of this great team sport.

KC w/o Rodgers - Dillon/Jones went 20-99

2nd half vs Det, Patrick Taylor went 11-53 with a TD. 

I dunno, that's pretty much right in line with seasonal averages. HokieHigh might want to re-think his thesis on the run game. 

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

... they average 16 yards per game more running than the Packers but do run the ball more. ...  49ers pass defense gives up 13 yards less than GB, nothing wild there either.  Total number of sacks for each team is 33 .. even steven.  The biggest difference between these teams -- turnovers.  GB is a plus 13 and SF is a minus 4 ... difference of 17 turnovers.  ....

I think this really captures things.  A lot of things pretty comparable, between the two teams.  Except the turnovers.  The Packers are undefeated with an interception, correct?  But have only won like twice without one?  INT's come in such small and unpredictable numbers, so *IF* Jimmy goes the game without one, it will be a real challenge for the packers to win.  But *IF* they can snag an INT, that could be huge.  Here's hoping.  I'd sure like to be able to win without counting on that, though; and then *IF* it happens, then take advantage of it and count your blessings.  

Edited by craig

33 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Teams having been keying in on Kittle and bracketing him to wash him out of the play. So, Shanny has been scheming around that and essentially using Kittle as a decoy to take 1 or 2 defenders away from the play to open up lanes for Deebo, Aiyuk, and Jennings. We're averaging almost 7 yards a play right now, so no need to fix what isn't broken. 

You can bet your last dollar that Shanny is just waiting for the moment teams think Kittle isn't a threat any more and starts targeting him when he has 1-on-1 coverage or soft zone coverage. 

Shanny is not the kind of guy who is going to force feed guys just because they're the best option. He's going to find what you're leaving uncovered or undermanned and attack that until adjustments are made. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Teams having been keying in on Kittle and bracketing him to wash him out of the play. So, Shanny has been scheming around that and essentially using Kittle as a decoy to take 1 or 2 defenders away from the play to open up lanes for Deebo, Aiyuk, and Jennings. We're averaging almost 7 yards a play right now, so no need to fix what isn't broken. 

You can bet your last dollar that Shanny is just waiting for the moment teams think Kittle isn't a threat any more and starts targeting him when he has 1-on-1 coverage or soft zone coverage. 

Shanny is not the kind of guy who is going to force feed guys just because they're the best option. He's going to find what you're leaving uncovered or undermanned and attack that until adjustments are made. 

That’s more or less what I expected.  Was curious if he “may” have sustained an injury which caused his drop in production, but because Shanny is a sneaky tactician, your explanation resonates.

I guarantee MLF will NOT overlook Kittle.  I expect another chess-match sort of game between these two coaches.  If you’re a fan of football, this should be worth the watch.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Don't underestimate the GB defense. You know Kittle is gonna get loose at least once. I'm expecting the 49ers to attack the middle of the field. 

I’m curious where in my post you thought I was underestimating GB’s defense?  My post was solely in reference to Kittle’s production the past four games.  I fully expect MLF to have a plan for each of SF’s weapons and schemes.

47 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I saw someone post that Ds have been scheming Kittle out of the game since his 3 game stretch vs Sea/Cin/Atl (28-425-3) and as someone upthread pointed out, with Mitchell, Samuel, and Aiyuk also available, Shanahan doesn't NEED to force to the guy the D is taking away, he just views it as creating opportunities elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

That’s more or less what I expected.  Was curious if he “may” have sustained an injury which caused his drop in production, but because Shanny is a sneaky tactician, your explanation resonates.

I guarantee MLF will NOT overlook Kittle.  I expect another chess-match sort of game between these two coaches.  If you’re a fan of football, this should be worth the watch.

Plus you take in that it would appear their friendship isn't what it once was after the Rodgers to 49'ers stuff came out. There is going to be some real stories to this game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I saw someone post that Ds have been scheming Kittle out of the game since his 3 game stretch vs Sea/Cin/Atl (28-425-3) and as someone upthread pointed out, with Mitchell, Samuel, and Aiyuk also available, Shanahan doesn't NEED to force to the guy the D is taking away, he just views it as creating opportunities elsewhere. 

Yes, @NinerNation21 pointed that out above also.

• Like 1