A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

Like some have mentioned already, continuity on offense is something we have not had for awhile so an offensive coach that calls plays would be ideal.

Who are some candidates that are capable of calling plays? so in event we get poached we don't lose our play caller.

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Coordinates operations of the football. 

In other words isn’t involved with scouting, talent acquisition, coach acquisition. I know you have to start somewhere but let’s not force a hire to fit the profile of a really young up and comer.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

In other words isn’t involved with scouting, talent acquisition, coach acquisition. I know you have to start somewhere but let’s not force a hire to fit the profile of a really young up and comer.

Yeah. I'd prefer that the GM have at least some scouting experience, but would be fine with them delegating scouting and talent acquisition to another person/department. I'd want the GM to have the final say if there is a stalemate between Scouting and the Coach, but mostly leave it to them to get the players right. But in the case of a disagreement, have enough experience with scouting to make an informed call. 

Ideally, in my opinion, the scouting department should know from the coach what kinds of players the schemes need to be succesful, and then the scouting department should identify those players and present them to the coach.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

It was a joke. The point is, why even tie draft picks to these candidates when they had nothing to do with them. Which is my greater point in that I want a candidate who been closely involved with the actual draft and scouting, not a football ops person.

See this is something I disagree with.

My preference is:

NFL Football Operations > College Scouting Background

I would have zero problems if a GM deferred to the recommendations of the Director of College Scouting (and the ~20 internal scouts listings/recommendations), while the GM is focused on NFL Players relationships / Agents / Cap / Operations / Trades / other GM communications / overall leadership and strategy

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

See this is something I disagree with.

My preference is:

NFL Football Operations > College Scouting Background

I would have zero problems if a GM deferred to the recommendations of the Director of College Scouting (and the ~20 internal scouts listings/recommendations), while the GM is focused on NFL Players relationships / Agents / Cap / Operations / Trades / other GM communications / overall leadership and strategy

Do any of the candidates have experience working with agents and other gms?

11 hours ago, Robb_K said:

One of them should be residing in The Twin Cities' Metro Area, and in his office in The building, every day.  It is unfathomable that Rick and Mike hadn't talked to each other for over a month, at the time of the season's last game, and that The Wilfs had NO idea that was the situation.  Clearly Mike had a falling out with Rick when the latter went above Mike's objections and signed Cousins to the team-crippling contract.  Not only did that really hurt chances to fill growing holes in the roster, but it threw the two of them working together for the good of the team, out the window, and got worse as it went along till this season's disaster.   

Thus, the Old Triangle of Authority evolved into a Prism of Hidden Schism!

Edited by Purplexing
reverse prism, hidden
  • Like 1

Veteran assistants like Tony Sparano, the Vikings' offensive line coach from 2016 until his death in 2018, or co-defensive coordinator Andre Patterson did damage control with players stung by Zimmer's public criticism or silence (sources said defensive end Danielle Hunter experienced the latter after choosing season-ending surgery on a neck hernia in 2020). Players tried to return quickly from injuries, fearful a longer recovery time would jeopardize their standing in the organization.

Might be an explanation as to why Hunter has been a bit more active on his social media accounts since Zimmer’s dismissal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

What does a football operations coordinator do? 

They basically do the work of what the Director of Football Operations tell them to do (who might have been Bryce Johnston at that point as he was the Director of Football Administration)...it could be any number of things related to football ops either related to the draft, the salary cap, or whatever...don't know what her specialty is. She now serves in the same role that Andrew Berry did before he got his GM job in Cleveland.