2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Guyton got dinged up, his week is done.    If he can't be a full go for the Combine, it could keep his stock down.   Definitely a type of player we should target if he's there in R3+.

Heard they were lining him up at both LT/RT. For his size, he'd definitely be useful to SP

Edited by Cutler06

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Heard they were lining him up at bot LT/RT. For his size, he'd definitely be useful to SP

Yeah he’s got the length and quicks to play either side IMO.    Obviously a project but that’s ok.   High ceiling guys with motor and motivation once you're into R3+ I’m all over.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

what are everyone's thoughts about the Tulane qb linked to us?

Would like Pratt as a developmental guy for sure. He's got the touch on intermediate throws, he can run the ball, he's been accurate and productive. We've talked to him several times over and he plays in New Orleans. There's a lot of smoke there. Wouldn't be shocked if we took him.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

This has been debunked a few times over FWIW. 

Yeah, but like I said it’s not something in isolation. There’s so much around him since mid season that just screams Josh Rosen/Paxton Lynch/J. Russel/hell even Cam Newton. Football is not the most important thing in his life. The brand is. 

• Like 1

Lots of promising interior lineman this draft that I wish we didn't overspend on Powers last year. Wish we could figure out a way to pair Graham Barton and Jackson Powers-Johnson to be our future LG and C. They both fit the profile of Sean Payton lineman (Big Bullies). Those two with Meinerz would set us up to have a dominate run game. 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Lots of promising interior lineman this draft that I wish we didn't overspend on Powers last year. Wish we could figure out a way to pair Graham Barton and Jackson Powers-Johnson to be our future LG and C. They both fit the profile of Sean Payton lineman (Big Bullies). Those two with Meinerz would set us up to have a dominate run game. 

I really hope they don’t use the mistake of overspending on average talent last season prevent the drafting of needed talent this offseason. We are in need of starters and depth across both lines 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Thanks for the names. I always count on you guys helping me out there.

We have lots of areas for improvement and you've highlighted one. Sean likes a nasty IOL and outside of Meinerz we're lacking. Keeping my fingers crossed for our young Oregon center but would love to see us draft a stud at LG. 

Nothing we can do about our awful FA picks so far. Deal with it and move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Thanks for the names. I always count on you guys helping me out there.

We have lots of areas for improvement and you've highlighted one. Sean likes a nasty IOL and outside of Meinerz we're lacking. Keeping my fingers crossed for our young Oregon center but would love to see us draft a stud at LG. 

Nothing we can do about our awful FA picks so far. Deal with it and move on.

I'm kind of working my way slowly through some guys but they seem to fit the bill for what I think we might target. If we let Cush walk (I think we should) we're going to need someone at center. I would expect Powers-Johnson to be better there but some are projecting Barton as an option there (I think he would be much better at LG than C)

Edited by grizmo78

40 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm kind of working my way slowly through some guys but they seem to fit the bill for what I think we might target. If we let Cush walk (I think we should) we're going to need someone at center. I would expect Powers-Johnson to be better there but some are projecting Barton as an option there (I think he would be much better at LG than C)

I'm just really curious about Forsyth, last years 7th rounder. @broncos_fan _from _uk pointed him out as a good prospect back then and I've watched a bit of him. He's got a bit of nasty to his game, far better spacial awareness than Cush will ever have and a year in an NFL weight room could have worked wonders. He also seems to have the mental portion down.

We protected him all year on the 53 and I've got to think they've got plans for him.  We're incredibly thin at OG no matter how you look at it and Ben Powers is just not the answer. LG is about the easiest spot to fill on the OL and I'd be a bit surprised if we didn't pick up a mauler in the draft to replace Powers. With Cush at center that'd bother me a bit but I think Forsyth might be the answer.

Anyway, check him out and see what you think. If he's used his year on the bench wisely he'd be hard to replace with a draft pick.

Edited by AKRNA

Can’t help but feel they are at least going to try to get up to 1 or 2. Doesn’t mean it will happen but I think they will try. I feel the same about the Raiders who are one spot behind us. 

It would be a stunning move from where they are positioned but I’m not sure Payton will be patient enough to not have an answer for another year. Maybe he is really in it for the long haul and willing to build slowly…it’s just hard to see with his ego and reputation and age. His offense will be hard for any rookie…how long is he willing to wait for results?

Edited by BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Maybe he is really in it for the long haul and willing to build slowly…it’s just hard to see with his ego and reputation and age. His offense will be hard for any rookie…how long is he willing to wait for results?

That's really the question.  I've felt since he was hired that he is here for the long haul. He's a sharp guy and knows there are no shortcuts. Draft, develop and do it better than Andy Reid is the only way to get to a championship.

Thinking we can trade a bunch of assets, move up to get our choice of QB's and magically replace KC is a fools errand. Even if that QB is equal to Mahomes we're so depleted in other areas we'd never catch up to KC.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:00 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Can’t help but feel they are at least going to try to get up to 1 or 2. Doesn’t mean it will happen but I think they will try. I feel the same about the Raiders who are one spot behind us. 

It would be a stunning move from where they are positioned but I’m not sure Payton will be patient enough to not have an answer for another year. Maybe he is really in it for the long haul and willing to build slowly…it’s just hard to see with his ego and reputation and age. His offense will be hard for any rookie…how long is he willing to wait for results?

Do to you sell the farm to roll the dice on a rookie QB and have zero assets with which to build around him, thereby significantly increasing the risk you ruin him? When and if it blows up Sean can walk away and say “hey I tried but the previous regime dealt me a bad hand because of the Russ trade and extension.” 

Would I be surprised if we did this? No. The Walmarts want to win now and Sean wants to win now, a rookie QB buys you time with the media and the fanbase, or at least it should, Drew Lock might argue otherwise. 

But what is the better option? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again as many times as I can between now and the draft - trade all the assets of value you have sans PS2; trade Bolles, Simmons, Jeudy, Sutton, etc., even if you take less than ideal. Not moving Jeudy for the 3rd+5th we were rumored to be offered was a major mistake by Sean and George. Then trade back from 12, get a late 1st, a 2nd and maybe a late rounder. Clear cap space, play the kids next year, likely end up with another top-16 pick. 

I’d like us to find a way to get something on the order of 18+ draft picks over the next 2 drafts (we currently have 13, 6 this year and 7 next). With that, draft BPA, regardless of what you have on the roster, with every single pick. 

See where you are two years from now with young, cheap roster than has some experience under their belt. Then go get your QB, being as aggressive as necessary. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Do to you sell the farm to roll the dice on a rookie QB and have zero assets with which to build around him, thereby significantly increasing the risk you ruin him? When and if it blows up Sean can walk away and say “hey I tried but the previous regime dealt me a bad hand because of the Russ trade and extension.” 

Would I be surprised if we did this? No. The Walmarts want to win now and Sean wants to win now, a rookie QB buys you time with the media and the fanbase, or at least it should, Drew Lock might argue otherwise. 

But what is the better option? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again as many times as I can between now and the draft - trade all the assets of value you have sans PS2; trade Bolles, Simmons, Jeudy, Sutton, etc., even if you take less than ideal. Not moving Jeudy for the 3rd+5th we were rumored to be offered was a major mistake by Sean and George. Then trade back from 12, get a late 1st, a 2nd and maybe a late rounder. Clear cap space, play the kids next year, likely end up with another top-16 pick. 

I’d like us to find a way to get something on the order of 18+ draft picks over the next 2 drafts (we currently have 13, 6 this year and 7 next). With that, draft BPA, regardless of what you have on the roster, with every single pick. 

See where you are two years from now with young, cheap roster than has some experience under their belt. Then go get your QB, being as aggressive as necessary. 

This isn't directed at AAA specifically, because this sentiment has been expressed on multiple occasions by many other posters to find a way to get more draft capital - but I would strongly caution against accumulation of Day 3 picks this year, esp from R5 onwards.  

Why?  Well, the depth of this year's draft is really a lot lower than in prior years.   One big reason - a lot fewer underclassmen declared this year.

Now, NIL is here to stay, so that factor may keep the #'s down in future years.  But the Covid-exemptions given in 2020 & 2021 really came to roost as well - so that should get better in 2025+.

Point being - I'd much see us get quality pick upgrades, than sheer quantity, and be careful on accumulating more 2024 Day 3 picks, because of the depletion in overall talent that's available.   So many scouts have indicated to beat reporters on teams this year that this year's R5-7 talent is at the UDFA level in other years not to take notice.

I definitely would want to go young, and shed contracts for guys who have no hope of being here in 2025+.   But I'd rather take 2025 picks if I'm being honest, when it comes to Day 3.  Usually we can get 1 round higher in value by waiting a year, and the belief that this year's talent depth is nowhere like prior years, I'd be patient and either get difference-making picks (R2-4) this year, or get more 2025+ capital.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1