NFC Wildcard GDT: #6 San Francisco at #3 Dallas

Broncofan

Who wins today?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the winner!

1 minute ago, Forge said:

14 at the snap. Dak finishes slide at 8. Ump bumps into Dak at about 4. 

The moment that Dak is up he needs to be looking at the clock and understanding where everything is. The ump bumps into him, he really has to know that he has to run a play at that point (which he can't do because he's not going to be able to tell the team). 

That's why I hate this call. Yes, you're getting 15 yards or whatever, but you really need everything to go perfectly to make sure you get off another play. As I said earlier, no way in hell the juice was worth the squeeze with this play. 

I'm totally fine with the call, it needs to be a controlled kneel, come to a stop at the 25, kneel, toss ball to closest ref.

There are plays in a playbook to get you 25 yards, there aren't any but a hailmary to get 40. Dallas staff thought one shot with a bonafide play was better than 2 hailmary's, I can respect that. Team just has to execute instead of panic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They couldn't just "touch" the ball because your center decided to spot the ball at the 23, when Dak was down at the 25 1/2. Hence why you don't let your center spot the ball. It had to be brought back. He only move it back like a yard so that it was even possible to get a spike in, it should've been moved back another yard and a half.

Refs did everything in their power to let the team have one more play. Dak has got to know better. He'll never make that mistake again, but sadly the damage is done.

Im not debating that the playcall was stupid and that we screwed up. Hell, I think the game was over at that point anyways.

Why would you even attempt that play to begin with. I wasn’t really paying attention to the game and when I saw Dak run I for sure thought they had a timeout to use lol. Maybe the dumbest play call I ever seen in that situation… 49ers were like uhhh thank you lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Team just has to execute instead of panic.

That's why I dislike it though because you're sooooooo dependent on everything (including the execution) going perfect. I am a big proponent on not conflating execution with playcalls, so I get your point full stop, but I actually don't like the call just because I think as a coach / playcaller, you have to know that it's going to require perfection and you have to know what your chances are of getting that perfection in that situation at that specific time. That's part of making the right play call. But  you're asking for all the players (on perhaps the most undisciplined team in the league?) to get this done very precise and I think you're setting it up to fail. 

Is a 50% chance at getting 1 play off from the 25 yard line to score a touchdown (and whatever odds those are) better than just taking cracks down the field? I honestly have no idea.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Why would you even attempt that play to begin with. I wasn’t really paying attention to the game and when I saw Dak run I for sure thought they had a timeout to use lol. Maybe the dumbest play call I ever seen in that situation… 49ers were like uhhh thank you lol

There’s no defense for it unless Dak was hurt and couldn’t reach the EZ from there.

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

1. I think you might be dragging your debates on here into the logic you are applying to him

No, I don't think so. Especially after actually hearing his comments.

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

2. Dak/McCarthy do have a point. The Ref had 8 seconds to touch a ball. Whether he bends over and touches it, or he takes it from Dak and touches it, there was enough time.

Had the ref not have to run through Dak and the C, maybe he would have made it. Had Dak knew to let the ref get through to spot the ball, maybe he would have made it.

I still don't see how Dak didn't directly impact the ref from doing his job at that moment. That's not on the ref, that's on Dak.

22 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

3. As I said earlier, I think the 'boys are just upset how many abnormal ref situations weve been in. It seems like every week some other ref-related controversy comes up. 

The only thing abnormal about this was that a 50+ year old ref had to try to run through a 230lb QB and a 310lb C to get to the ball to spot it.

If they're frustrated, they need to get angry at themselves.

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

4. I do agree this is a bad attitude and I think it reflects leadership. That said, I also think the comment is funny. 

I guess it's funny in that it lacks any sort of self awareness to how he (and whoever called that play) is the reason that play ended the game. The playcalling was horrendous, and that wasn't even the worst thing that happened on that play.

This image sort of sums up how Dak is acting right now:

61jnpg.jpg

(Now THIS is funny...)

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, I don't think so. Especially after actually hearing his comments.

Had the ref not have to run through Dak and the C, maybe he would have made it. Had Dak knew to let the ref get through to spot the ball, maybe he would have made it.

I still don't see how Dak didn't directly impact the ref from doing his job at that moment. That's not on the ref, that's on Dak.

The only thing abnormal about this was that a 50+ year old ref had to try to run through a 230lb QB and a 310lb C to get to the ball to spot it.

If they're frustrated, they need to get angry at themselves.

I guess it's funny in that it lacks any sort of self awareness to how he (and whoever called that play) is the reason that play ended the game. The playcalling was horrendous, and that wasn't even the worst thing that happened on that play.

This image sort of sums up how Dak is acting right now:

61jnpg.jpg

(Now THIS is funny...)

I think you are trying way to hard to hammer home an inconsequential point. Just one guys opinion. But then again, the game was over when Wilson didnt adjust to the deep ball. 

EDIT - additionally, most people arent self aware when they are emotional. Human nature and all that. So lets just laugh at the comment.

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I think you are trying way to hard to hammer home an inconsequential point. Just one guys opinion.

The thing is... the guy in this equation is the same guy who either didn't know the rules, or did know the rules, screwed up and is now trying to justify people throwing things at the refs as opposed to saying "yeah, I may have screwed that one up..."

You're right, the refs are bad more often than not. This wasn't one of those instances, but Dak is now leaning on that perception to detract from his role in this - or he legitimately doesn't know (which is frightening given his position and contract) and he DOES believe that he can spot the ball on his own.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

But then again, the game was over when Wilson didnt adjust to the deep ball. 

Oh, I agree the odds to win were incredibly low - but this is what's going to be talked about, not the other 59:45 minutes in this game.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The thing is... the guy in this equation is the same guy who either didn't know the rules, or did know the rules, screwed up and is now trying to justify people throwing things at the refs as opposed to saying "yeah, I may have screwed that one up..."

You're right, the refs are bad more often than not. This wasn't one of those instances, but Dak is now leaning on that perception to detract from his role in this - or he legitimately doesn't know (which is frightening given his position and contract) and he DOES believe that he can spot the ball on his own.

Oh, I agree the odds to win were incredibly low - but this is what's going to be talked about, not the other 59:45 minutes in this game.

So you are doubling down on the inconsequential point?

Just take it at face value. Especially if you watched the video. It was a dude just lipping off while very frustrated. 

And the comment is funny if you arent trying to get all judgey about it. Apply it to some other game if it helps you laugh at it. 

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

So you are doubling down on the inconsequential point?

No, I'm expecting the one of the highest paid player in NFL history to own up to his error and not try to hide behind bad officiating.

It's what Mahomes, Allen, Brady and other big game QBs would do when they make mistakes - sure, they complain about ref situations, but they also know when they're at fault.

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just take it at face value. Especially if you watched the video.

I am - and I'm sincerely wondering if Dak is the sort of leader a team can rely on. This instance (as inconsequential as it is) is giving me major Donovan McNabb vibes, and that's not a good thing.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It was a dude just lipping off while very frustrated. 

It's a guy who made a mistake (which happens, we all do) and chose to go after an easy target. Be frustrated, be pissed off, whatever - but own up to your part in it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, I'm expecting the one of the highest paid player in NFL history to own up to his error and not try to hide behind bad officiating.

It's what Mahomes, Allen, Brady and other big game QBs would do when they make mistakes - sure, they complain about ref situations, but they also know when they're at fault.

I am - and I'm sincerely wondering if Dak is the sort of leader a team can rely on. This instance (as inconsequential as it is) is giving me major Donovan McNabb vibes, and that's not a good thing.

It's a guy who made a mistake (which happens, we all do) and chose to go after an easy target. Be frustrated, be pissed off, whatever - but own up to your part in it.

Im sure he will 

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

And the comment is funny if you arent trying to get all judgey about it. Apply it to some other game if it helps you laugh at it. 

Only thing that's funny is the absurdity of the playcall... and my meme. 

61jnpg.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Prescott said in retrospect he should have gone down sooner, which would have given the Cowboys -- and the umpire -- time to get set. He said a San Francisco defender jumped on him to slow him down briefly, but he did not think that was unfair.

"When you've practiced it as much as we've done over and over again, you're not necessarily worried about it," Prescott said. "You trust your training that you put into it ... I mean the rest of it, you don't prepare for things like [colliding with the umpire], but I guess we'll start having to, knowing the way this played out."

Half-hearted attempt at taking "some" blame. As much as we are chiding Prescott, Moore has to take his share of this. Would it not have been more beneficial to take a pop-pass and run up to spike it? 14 seconds at snap and 6 seconds when Prescott gets up. I feel like they could have thrown a pass and spiked it in 8 seconds... but who knows.

• Like 1