GDT: Bengals @ Titans (Return of The King Edition)

Mesa_Titan

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I find it funny that some are now trashing Downing to defend their golden boy although they defended Downing all year…. 😂

I have defended some of the stuff he has done, sure. There is good and bad with everything. Downing has had some games this year where he's looked like he's started to understand how to run the offense, mostly in the second halves of games, but too many times he has slipped back into the same old crap. Downing didn't get much of a fair shake this year either with the injuries, but too many times are AJ and Julio not on the field in critical situations even when both are healthy. That is unacceptable.

We just have a different way of looking at things, I prefer to take some of the good and hope for the best in the future, you need to see a handful of bad things to have your mind made up about something. It is what it is.

Edited by Mesa_Titan

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Oh I’m not trying to get rid of Tannehill & I agree he’s the best QB we ever had, I’m just saying though he has the stats he’s not ask to do what mahome does. Yes Alex smith had that same offense & even better 1 considering he had a 1500 yard lead rusher in kareem Hunt, but Mahomes did what Alex couldn’t & that was pushed the ball vertically he unlocked their offensive fire power. Andy Reid is a genius but Mahomes is reading the defense the entire field, manipulating safeties making throws that very few QB’s can make. Comparing the 2 is like comparing MJ vs kobe when kobe played with Shaq. 
MJ is Mahomes right Tannehill is kobe. Kobe can score 50 just like MJ the difference though is kobe get his easier, playing with Shaq kobe gets to go 1 on 1 guys are doubling Shaq, where as MJ is facing double team triple team giving you 50.

Tannehill has similar stats as Mahomes but Tannehill sees single coverages a lot because teams load up the box to stop Henry, ain’t nobody loading up the box to stop Mahomes @Mesa_Titan you feel me. He’s seeing far more coverages 

It's a fair point about Henry, but the Chiefs do the same just in a different fashion. Hill puts a ton of pressure on the defense, basically cutting off one side of the field for Mahomes, and Kelce eats up the middle and on corner routes to either side. Not having a TE worth a damn really hurt our offense and Tannehill this year. Among a million other things.

22 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

It's a fair point about Henry, but the Chiefs do the same just in a different fashion. Hill puts a ton of pressure on the defense, basically cutting off one side of the field for Mahomes, and Kelce eats up the middle and on corner routes to either side. Not having a TE worth a damn really hurt our offense and Tannehill this year. Among a million other things.

We basically didn’t have a TE last yr. I mean yes Jonnu was a TE but he was moved more as a H back what pissed me off is that Pruitt is capable of playing that same role but downing for whatever reason didn’t even use him as much. And yes hill puts a ton of pressure on defense but again safety’s aren’t loading the box to stop hill giving Mahomes 1 on 1 throws. They’re doubling him cover 2 or single high robber at the snap of the ball. Giving favorable underneath throws to Kelce. Nobody never plays Mahomes 1 on 1 outside no safety help unless he’s going against a team with a shutdown corner that can cover Hill on a island 

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Downing has been an offensive coordinator for two years, and both times has seen significant regression from the units he’s been in put in charge of. Dude sucks and is just so easily replaceable.

He wasn’t even a particularly noteworthy TEs coach lol.

Do you think there is any chance Vrabel fires him? It would be weird to fire him after the things he said about him today.

21 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Do you think there is any chance Vrabel fires him? It would be weird to fire him after the things he said about him today.

There’s a chance, sure. The way I look at the offense is really simple. And I think this is legitimately important because I’ve spent so much time on the Tannehill/Downing relationship. Did anyone get better under Downing? Like truly. Is there a single player you can point to that was better on offense in 2021-22 than in 2020-21? If you go far enough down the line, maybe you get to someone like NWI I guess. But amongst the 11 starters, is there a single one that you feel better about today than you did in August? I’m honestly looking for answers here, because it’s an important question when assessing individual players on that side of the ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

There’s a chance, sure. The way I look at the offense is really simple. And I think this is legitimately important because I’ve spent so much time on the Tannehill/Downing relationship. Did anyone get better under Downing? Like truly. Is there a single player you can point to that was better on offense in 2021-22 than in 2020-21? If you go far enough down the line, maybe you get to someone like NWI I guess. But amongst the 11 starters, is there a single one that you feel better about today than you did in August? I’m honestly looking for answers here, because it’s an important question when assessing individual players on that side of the ball.

i vividly recall asking this EXACT same question about bowen last year lol. so, i dunno, maybe we find a jim schwartz for the offense who fixes everything. or….maybe bowen improved after a rough first year as a playcaller while on the other hand todd downing has ruined two separate offenses and we know what he is already. 🥴

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

i vividly recall asking this EXACT same question about bowen last year lol. so, i dunno, maybe we find a jim schwartz for the offense who fixes everything. or….maybe bowen improved after a rough first year as a playcaller while on the other hand todd downing has ruined two separate offenses and we know what he is already. 🥴

Honestly, as I typed it, I was positive either I typed or responded to a very similar post last year about the defense.

Obviously the difference being that Bowen was a first year play caller with no official power and this is now the second organization that Downing has had these results with. And Schwartz for sure. But yes, absolutely remember this same discussion about the defense lol. 

19 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Honestly, as I typed it, I was positive either I typed or responded to a very similar post last year about the defense.

Obviously the difference being that Bowen was a first year play caller with no official power and this is now the second organization that Downing has had these results with. And Schwartz for sure. But yes, absolutely remember this same discussion about the defense lol. 

i hope it doesn't come to this, but if we just run it back and witness the same result or worse next year, where does that leave vrabel? he will have essentially torched a super bowl window (which he was brought in *specifically* to build) based on bad coordinator hires. at the same time though, we do have to acknowledge that we have a limited QB and he obviously has his strengths as a coach. i dunno, man. it's a weird purgatory to be in

6 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i hope it doesn't come to this, but if we just run it back and witness the same result or worse next year, where does that leave vrabel? he will have essentially torched a super bowl window (which he was brought in *specifically* to build) based on bad coordinator hires. at the same time though, we do have to acknowledge that we have a limited QB and he obviously has his strengths as a coach. i dunno, man. it's a weird purgatory to be in

I think you give them a chance to get a second QB, at least.

Vrabel probably got a longer leash after the defensive rebuild last year. They said the defense underperformed because of the players, and FO said Ok, you’re getting all new players, better show up. And they did. We had an outstanding defense.

Now it’s probably a similar situation for Vrabel, where he gets to say, look, stay the course, get us some more talent, and we’ll see improvement, just like last time.

Things go south next year, then there’s probably some accountability from the offense, but then you also are in a situation next year where replacing your QB is actually feasible. And if we’re still winning lots of games, no way Vrabel’s seat gets hot.

8 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I've been saying we need to find an Senior Consultant for offense if Downing is going to stay. I'm beating the Jim Caldwell drum or maybe someone from the Shanahan tree. 

I want both Ryan and Downing to be gone.  But bringing both back as is, kills any optimism I'd have for next year. 

3 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

After that playoff no show,  I don’t know how in good faith they could bring back Tannehill and Downing and expect the fans to be excited for 2022. You just can’t bring them both back.

I just don't see Vrabel turning around and replacing him. The team got through so much adversity during the regular season. The offense put up points at times. Not saying I agree with the thought process trying to think as Vrabel would. He's stubborn that is likely his thought process.