Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

What a horrible day, i can not believe that Kwesi & KOC actually decided to extend Kirk. Worst case scenario for me. I believe 100% that Kirk will never lead a team to a super bowl. I dont care if it is 1 year or 2 years more. Im over Kirk completely. As of today, before the Vikings even play a game under the new regime. Im out on Kwesi & out on KOC, and i feel like they were both mistakes. May be sort of irrational to some people, but i dont care. Extending Kirk is idiotic & they both came in and said lets do it. A 34 year old .500 QB that puts up stats. The happiest day of my Vikings life will be the day the Vikings trade or release Kirk, if im still alive to see it. 

9 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

What a horrible day, i can not believe that Kwesi & KOC actually decided to extend Kirk. Worst case scenario for me. I believe 100% that Kirk will never lead a team to a super bowl. I dont care if it is 1 year or 2 years more. Im over Kirk completely. As of today, before the Vikings even play a game under the new regime. Im out on Kwesi & out on KOC, and i feel like they were both mistakes. May be sort of irrational to some people, but i dont care. Extending Kirk is idiotic & they both came in and said lets do it. A 34 year old .500 QB that puts up stats. The happiest day of my Vikings life will be the day the Vikings trade or release Kirk, if im still alive to see it. 

This right here is an overreaction. 

I think it was a great move and the only one that made sense. But obviously, YMMV. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This right here is an overreaction. 

I think it was a great move and the only one that made sense. But obviously, YMMV. 

By great move, you mean that you are looking forward to more 9-8 seasons with the 12th-17th draft picks every year? You're excited to be a mediocre franchise for at least two more years? 

Maybe they will start making trophys & banners for QBs w/ good stats. 

5 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

By great move, you mean that you are looking forward to more 9-8 seasons with the 12th-17th draft picks every year? You're excited to be a mediocre franchise for at least two more years? 

You get Kirk at 31, 36 while a rookie can go through qb school (either 1 or 2 years) and then pay 6 and 6 while that rookie is on a cheap deal. 

This isn't the GB model exactly, but this is smart because you don't have to force a pick this year or even next.  Having a floor of Kirk qb play is not a bad thing, you're not pressing to draft a Ponder. You can take an unrefined player and not ruin him by forcing him into the lineup too soon.

Edited by sinceAtikevike
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sinceAtikevike said:

You get Kirk at 31, 36 while a rookie can go through qb school (either 1 or 2 years) and then pay 6 and 6 whole that rookie is on a cheap deal. 

This isn't the GB model exactly, but this is smart because you don't have to force a pick this year or next.  Having a floor of Kirk qb play is not a bad thing, you're not pressing to draft a Ponder. You can take an unrefined player and not ruin him by forcing him into the lineup too soon.

31 & 36? You make that sound like a good thing. Kirk is a Viking at least this coming year & next, that is too long for me. It just delays the rebuild process. Now instead of peaking in 2023-24 when Rodgers is likely gone, we will still be paying our average QB to either be helping us to 8 wins or paying him to leave. 

7 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

How many QBs won the Super Bowl last year? Who's available that makes them Super Bowl locks? 

This move freed up 15 million in cap relief. A Hunter extension gets us lower. It also gives us a chance to see if KOC helps more than Zimmer. Great. Move. 

• Like 4

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611552e9f4bf0306ccfdc

Why give Kirk Cousins more money?  At least wait and see if you even have a competitive team next year.  And despite Kirk playing above average the past few years, here I was hoping they would just trade him away and start building for the future.  

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

How many QBs won the Super Bowl last year? Who's available that makes them Super Bowl locks? 

This move freed up 15 million in cap relief. A Hunter extension gets us lower. It also gives us a chance to see if KOC helps more than Zimmer. Great. Move. 

Its about building a team & finding a franchise QB. Long term success & sustained success. I dont care who won it last year, or the previous 50. Kirk will NEVER win one with the Vikings. Thats the point. 

You say great move, because your content with being average & in the hunt year to year. Which is ok But you cant keep doing the same thing and expect different results. 

5 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

31 & 36? You make that sound like a good thing. Kirk is a Viking at least this coming year & next, that is too long for me. It just delays the rebuild process. Now instead of peaking in 2023-24 when Rodgers is likely gone, we will still be paying our average QB to either be helping us to 8 wins or paying him to leave. 

It is a good thing because you have a floor on the output at the most important position in football. You don't have to start your shiny,  toolsy draft player who doesn't yet know how to read his keys at the speed of the nfl game.

Look at the cap hits for qbs in that tier of pay. Other than Stafford and Rodgers, who do you like better? I am wondering if maybe your reaction to the numbers is because you set the prices in your head a long time ago and cap inflation passed you by?

• Like 2