Fire Maurice Drayton And Give MLF, Gute and Murphy The Ultimatum

LLcheesehead12

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Was pretty confident it was going to happen this weekend, if we get to Wednesday I'd say it's pretty clear we're keeping Drayton.

Larger fires to put out than Mo till now. We'll see....but I cant see him surviving.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Was pretty confident it was going to happen this weekend, if we get to Wednesday I'd say it's pretty clear we're keeping Drayton.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the Pro Bowl since our staff is coaching? Maybe waiting until after? Literally the only explanation I can think of other than Matt Regular Season LaFleur just being an idiot. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Kinda disappointed tbh. At this point cut the man loose or announce his demotion, and let the B squad dig through the ST candidate list while the main guys figure out what the hell is happening with Rodgers.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Larger fires to put out than Mo till now. We'll see....but I cant see him surviving.

Pettine and Mennenga were gone 5 days after the NFCCG last year. We're on day 9. I don't think it's happening, and if it is, it's in the next day or two. Staffs are now being assembled for next year.

If we actually start guys with ST in mind and playing our starters more, we'll be better irregardless of who is coach. If we don't, I'm not sure it really matters who holds that title. It's clear for the last 20 years that we don't put an emphasis on ST.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine and Mennenga were gone 5 days after the NFCCG last year. We're on day 9. I don't think it's happening, and if it is, it's in the next day or two. Staffs are now being assembled for next year.

True - but our higher up assistants weren't under fire as they were this year - mandating MLF's most immediate attention. Mo's turn is coming up.......

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If we actually start guys with ST in mind and playing our starters more, we'll be better irregardless of who is coach. If we don't, I'm not sure it really matters who holds that title. It's clear for the last 20 years that we don't put an emphasis on ST.

This is true....but it feels like we've been going thru ST coordinators like we're trying to find a wearable shirt in the dirty clothes hamper - none with any great results. We stink and have stains.

Unless MLF is brain dead, he's gotta know that simply repeating the past wont result in better outcomes. If he calls me, that'll be my advice :)

• Like 1

I'd say this article here just about sums up the ST debacle

https://zonecoverage.com/2022/packers/cultural-problems-led-to-green-bays-special-teams-failures/

Gotta say, this quote:

" 'We have not gotten involved with any part of that process, with any of our coaches. We’ve got to look at everything, and if we feel like we can improve in certain areas, then we’ll make tough decisions. But we’re not even remotely close to getting into that at this point in time,' said LaFleur during his wrap-up interview."

Man get your head outta your *** that unit just skunked our whole season away.  Start changing things now, or be fired yourself!!

Matt LaFleur has a lot of political capital right now- I would be very surprised if he elects to use some of that capital retaining a ST coordinator who clearly wasn’t getting thru to the players.  If things go bad again, that puts LaFleur right in the crosshairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

We're definitely not firing Drayton.

It's clear that MLF is either shouldering much if the blame or is planning to bring up roster concerns to Gute (or both).

Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Drayton "lead" a top 10 ST unit next year.

The NFL is random (to us ignorant fans, anyway).

I’m probably in the minority in this forum in that I won’t be disappointed if they retain Drayton.

He’s not the most talented ST’s coordinator, but I think - and have always thought - it’s more of a personnel issue.

If Gute and MLF can’t agree on this, then that’s not on Drayton, and paying high dollar for a ST’s coordinator probably wouldn’t move the needle much anyways.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m probably in the minority in this forum in that I won’t be disappointed if they retain Drayton.

He’s not the most talented ST’s coordinator, but I think - and have always thought - it’s more of a personnel issue.

If Gute and MLF can’t agree on this, then that’s not on Drayton, and paying high dollar for a ST’s coordinator probably wouldn’t move the needle much anyways.

It's gotta somehow be linked to Rodgers.

He is somehow responsible for all the bad ST play since he's been here. 

Maybe he bullies them and they do it on purpose.

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I don’t really know where the breakdown is occurring or why they weren’t able to fix it, but it had been an obvious issue all season long and lost us games and ultimately was the biggest reason we got bounced out of the playoffs.  I won’t pretend I understand what it takes to be a great ST coach, but there were glaring errors in alignment on some of those kicks, that is on the coaches. 

I’m  not into scapegoats but this is one where you’ve got to fall on the sword, it was absolutely terrible.  I’m sure Dayton is a young coach who can improve but it is not an understatement to say he completely failed in his task this season. Results are what count, get someone in there that can get results. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I don’t really know where the breakdown is occurring or why they weren’t able to fix it, but it had been an obvious issue all season long and lost us games and ultimately was the biggest reason we got bounced out of the playoffs.  I won’t pretend I understand what it takes to be a great ST coach, but there were glaring errors in alignment on some of those kicks, that is on the coaches. 

I’m  not into scapegoats but this is one where you’ve got to fall on the sword, it was absolutely terrible.  I’m sure Dayton is a young coach who can improve but it is not an understatement to say he completely failed in his task this season. Results are what count, get someone in there that can get results. 

Whoever made the decision to put Henry Black on special teams should be fired, lol.  Wirtel gets shoved backwards five yards because he weighs 220 against a 300 pound giant, and Black is just worthless back there - he literally abandon’s his post, FML.  I can hardly stand to watch this.  If Drayton has been pleading with MLF to give him better bodies, then what’s he to do?  I’m not taking any blame or responsibility away from Drayton - it’s a systematic failure from Gute on down to Drayton, IMHO.