NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

When people say he should have gone for it on 4th down on all three trips past midfield, I don't agree with that. Going for it on 4th and 9 on the 42 yard line doesn't make all that much sense. You punt the ball, hope to pin the Rams inside the 10 and then let your defense go to work. The other was a 4th and 6 at the 40. Again, I'm not sure you go for it either. We ended up pinning the Rams inside the three yard line there. That one is a little tougher decision as six yards is more manageable than nine yards and you are a few yards closer. The 4th and 2 at the 45 yard line you have to go for though. I know we haven't been great on 4th downs but that one you go for. Put Deebo in the backfield and fake the hand off and run a boot with Kittle coming across the field and convert. 

Can't keep punting it from the other side field every time. It's just a futile proposition to give up downs and possessions in the modern NFL where it's an offensively slanted games. The irony is that the 4th and 6 situation is the same exact situation we had in the first game and he went for it and scored a TD that iced the game (it was 4th and 6 from the Rams 40). Part of that is probably Gould as well. We are the only team in either championship game that has a kicker we can't put in that position (it's only about a 56 yard field goal; Gay, McPherson and Butker can all hit that). 

The 4th and 9 is tougher, and I'm fine with the punt, but your mindset should at least be 4 down territory. Especially given the context. The rams had had 4 possessions at that point and had put themselves in scoring position on 3 of them. At that point you should know that you're not relying on your defense and you need to put points on the board. So I don't think that you need to go for it all on a single third down play or anything (not saying that we did...I feel like that play was a quick hitter over the middle to Kittle for about 7 or 8 yards, but I may be getting plays mixed up). 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Can't keep punting it from the other side field every time. It's just a futile proposition to give up downs and possessions in the modern NFL where it's an offensively slanted games. The irony is that the 4th and 6 situation is the same exact situation we had in the first game and he went for it and scored a TD that iced the game (it was 4th and 6 from the Rams 40). Part of that is probably Gould as well. We are the only team in either championship game that has a kicker we can't put in that position (it's only about a 56 yard field goal; Gay, McPherson and Butker can all hit that). 

The 4th and 9 is tougher, and I'm fine with the punt, but your mindset should at least be 4 down territory. Especially given the context. The rams had had 4 possessions at that point and had put themselves in scoring position on 3 of them. At that point you should know that you're not relying on your defense and you need to put points on the board. So I don't think that you need to go for it all on a single third down play or anything (not saying that we did...I feel like that play was a quick hitter over the middle to Kittle for about 7 or 8 yards, but I may be getting plays mixed up). 

Yeah, but the Rams also only had 7 points up until that point and the defense generally was dominant in the postseason. I just can't agree with going for it on 4th and 9. 4th and 6? You think about...But 4th and 2? You have to go for it. There has to be a fair mix of aggressiveness and playing it smart. I just can't agree with the notion that you have to go for it on every 4th down in plus territory. That doesn't make sense to me. 

• Like 2

This is kind of insane. 

I can't imagine that this is Shanny just forgetting how to coach or letting the moment get the better of him just because of the fourth quarter (though that's deservedly going to be the perception of him until he breaks that with a super bowl win), so I have to imagine that this is based quite a bit on the relationship he and Jimmy have on the field

One thing I loved the last two games was how big of an impact Mitchell had in the passing game. Dude is just rock solid man. Runs very hard, does not fumble the ball or drop any passes and just does his job. He lacks the home run ability but that's okay. If you can bring back Mostert, this running game is going to be insanely good next season. I think you can let Hasty go since Mitchell can be a receiving back. Now he needs to get his pass blocking up to the par and then he becomes a complete back.

Will Brunskill start or does Banks take his spot? 

Do we bring back Compton as depth? I think overall he showed well and even though he allowed some big hits/sacks, you can't expect a back up to be great. McGlinchey's is likely back on his 5th year option. 

I think Key is someone who may price himself out of returning. We have seen with Kocurek, he can elevate pretty much any DL. I just think we need Willis back for depth at DE since that's where we are lacking. 

If we can get Gilmore, my goodness will this defense be scary. I hope he does not re-sign with his hometown team and makes a trip the WC!  

• Like 2

I know Jimmy hates throwing to the sidelines, but how don't you let it rip to Kittle right there? Depending on the pass, you can possibly allow him to catch and turn up the field and the 2nd and 15 WORST case ends up being 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6. Kittle had a good angle on the defender that he could have picked up even more yards. My goodness, sometimes Jimmy is just so hesitant to pull the trigger. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Sounds like what the Seahawks did against us. Feels like we should have come up with a plan against that at some point.

The blueprint has always been there for the Rams. I have no idea why they have never adjusted lol. But honestly, we did start running it better in the 2nd half a bit but the adjustment was Jimmy to beat them through the air. He's just too hesitant and doesn't always trust his eyes. Jimmy usually overcomes those flaws late in games but he didn't yesterday. I can't believe he didn't throw it to Kittle running that out route on 2nd and 15. Ended up throwing a incompletion and it was 3rd and 15 after that. He's just not IT and it's okay. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The blueprint has always been there for the Rams. I have no idea why they have never adjusted lol. But honestly, we did start running it better in the 2nd half a bit but the adjustment was Jimmy to beat them through the air. He's just too hesitant and doesn't always trust his eyes. Jimmy usually overcomes those flaws late in games but he didn't yesterday. I can't believe he didn't throw it to Kittle running that out route on 2nd and 15. Ended up throwing a incompletion and it was 3rd and 15 after that. He's just not IT and it's okay. 

Yeah, prior to this game, they had a history of using the one of the lightest boxes in the NFL and continued to do so against us lol. Weird planning by them in prior games. 

5 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Sounds like what the Seahawks did against us. Feels like we should have come up with a plan against that at some point.

Packers also did it in that first game. Almost constantly had a safety in the box, especially on early downs. 

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, prior to this game, they had a history of using the one of the lightest boxes in the NFL and continued to do so against us lol. Weird planning by them in prior games. 

I tried telling all Rams fans for the past few years that they needed to change their alignments when facing us and they had to play more single high coverage with a loaded box. Seahawks do a bunch of that with their big DL and shut our run game down. 

But honestly, the crazy part is we have the type of weapons to BEAT that type of defense. Aiyuk and Kittle are going to win more times than none vs #2 CBs or safeties. Aiyuk always gets open on go routes but he doesn't get enough opportunities to make plays. That man is a serious problem and I can't believe how we don't utilize him enough. Put him on the Rams and he's getting 1,200 to 1,300 yards in his sleep. Welp, let's just hope going forward he gets his proper amount of targets. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Packers also did it in that first game. Almost constantly had a safety in the box, especially on early downs. 

Packers even had some sweet adjustments in the second match up with how their ends played the edges. But if a defense does that, in 2022, your QB should be able to pick apart their secondary. Like you have single coverage with some top level talent. That's what QBs dream about, no? Like you know the exact coverage and it's your man against their corner. You throw it up deep, good chance there is a DPI or your guy gets it. Yet we take the least amount of deep shots lol. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know Jimmy hates throwing to the sidelines, but how don't you let it rip to Kittle right there? Depending on the pass, you can possibly allow him to catch and turn up the field and the 2nd and 15 WORST case ends up being 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6. Kittle had a good angle on the defender that he could have picked up even more yards. My goodness, sometimes Jimmy is just so hesitant to pull the trigger. 

This is what I meant when I say he missed some reads that could have been momentum changing. He played relatively clean there until the end but the missed opportunity to Kittle in the first quater and being hesitant on certain reads are just game alternating if you don't take advantage.