NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

The ending sucked.

But I hate when the losing team can't give credit to their opponent. Yes, we didn't play well in the second half, and Jimmy really shat the bed, but the Rams simply made more plays. And we didn't make ours. OBJ was great. Kupp was great. We didn't have an answer for their third string TE, apparently... they came in clutch, and we didn't.

Overall, we had no right to expect this good of a result, given how we looked early on in the season. The future is exciting. The rams will crumble under the weight of their contracts and lack of draft capital, they won't have an OL to protect a QB that takes way too many hits. So we'll be back. I believe we'll be the stronger team in the long run. The cards won't always luck out in getting hall of fame receivers for second round picks, and the seahawks will be the same team for the foreseeable future. The Rams were built to go to the Superbowl in their own stadium, and not for the long run, like we are. So we'll be back. It feels like the NFC is ours, to be honest. As long as Trey is even just a capable starter, we're at the top.

For how many niners fans there were in the stands, you gotta give credit to the LA fans. No team had an home field advantage, it was loud for both. They certainly showed up. I wish I could feel happier about this game, and I certainly would have if a couple of things had gone differently (my heart broke after a certain dropped INT). But you know what? I was already unhappy, so no big change there. That's life.

Now, I'll go have a poop and go for a walk in the snow.

And 69 pages?! Nice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

These next 3-4 years we have to give Lance as much talent as possible and go for it. These upcoming years are the best chance a we will have with this core. They will need to start reloading on talent. 

I mean, how much more talent does he need? At least at the skill positions. Deebo, top 5 skill player in the NFL right now. Aiyuk was a first round receiver and has flashed plenty. Kittle is a top 3 TE minimum. Mitchell has shown to be at least servicable. 

If Trey can make the defenders have to try to cover more of the field than just between the numbers, the O should take a gigantic leap forward next year imo. 

Still want to get better on the Oline though. Last years 2nd round... ugh. Hopefully Banks improves light years in season two.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

These next 3-4 years we have to give Lance as much talent as possible and go for it. These upcoming years are the best chance a we will have with this core. They will need to start reloading on talent. 

Agreed. I said that after the game. The Rams went all in and that helped tipped the scales in their favor. It's time for us to be aggressive with our window.  

This team will get over the hump eventually, and when they do, it's going to be so glorious 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I mean, how much more talent does he need? At least at the skill positions. Deebo, top 5 skill player in the NFL right now. Aiyuk was a first round receiver and has flashed plenty. Kittle is a top 3 TE minimum. Mitchell has shown to be at least servicable. 

If Trey can make the defenders have to try to cover more of the field than just between the numbers, the O should take a gigantic leap forward next year imo. 

Still want to get better on the Oline though. Last years 2nd round... ugh. Hopefully Banks improves light years in season two.

Yeah this is the big part for me. Like Kyle said make defenses play 11 v 11...

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Agreed. I said that after the game. The Rams went all in and that helped tipped the scales in their favor. It's time for us to be aggressive with our window.  

This team will get over the hump eventually, and when they do, it's going to be so glorious 

After cooling down, I realized that in my adult life time as a niner fan they've been to two SBs and FIVE NFC title games. 

I mean it isn't as good as seeing them win a big one but I guess it could be worse like the dark ages before Harbaugh....

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I'm just saying with him on a rookie deal, you put as much talent around him on BOTH sides of the ball. You don't have to tell me how talented this team is but look at all the upcoming free agents. They will need to spend and take some HR hits like the Rams/Bucs have done the last two seasons. I believe we will do just that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

After cooling down, I realized that in my adult life time as a niner fan they've been to two SBs and FIVE NFC title games. 

I mean it isn't as good as seeing them win a big one but I guess it could be worse like the dark ages before Harbaugh....

Is a bit annoying that we always lose in gut-wrenching fashion to the eventual champions, though.

• Like 2

Ugly. The entire 4th quarter performance from our team--Offense & Defense--was ugly. Shanny tried to be cute (TW in motion?! As a decoy?! Quit that crap!) and Ryans did not adapt. Jimmy G...ready for the Lance era 'cause Jimmy is just so limited. He has actually regressed from the '19 season. Brunskill is out of place, Compton is on skates...I want a dominant OL! Ward, Tart, Thomas...even K'waun took turns looking stupid in our secondary. 

Such a 4th quarter meltdown. And then, the refs 'miss' 3 delay of game penalties! 

🤢

Yeah, I didn't get the delay of game missed calls. A few of them were obvious. But that's not why we lost.

So Kyle is getting flack for blowing a 10 point lead. He had one bad decision after the lead and it was his decisions preceding Mitchell's 9 yard run. But the time the offense had the ball after up 10, it was only a 3 point game. The defense allowed a TD far too easily and quickly and that was the bigger problem. This wasn't like we had a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to go and ended up choking it away. No, it was a 3 point game with almost the entire 4th quarter to go. This is where I just wish people used context and not just go off agenda based statements. 

When people say he should have gone for it on 4th down on all three trips past midfield, I don't agree with that. Going for it on 4th and 9 on the 42 yard line doesn't make all that much sense. You punt the ball, hope to pin the Rams inside the 10 and then let your defense go to work. The other was a 4th and 6 at the 40. Again, I'm not sure you go for it either. We ended up pinning the Rams inside the three yard line there. That one is a little tougher decision as six yards is more manageable than nine yards and you are a few yards closer. The 4th and 2 at the 45 yard line you have to go for though. I know we haven't been great on 4th downs but that one you go for. Put Deebo in the backfield and fake the hand off and run a boot with Kittle coming across the field and convert. 

Defensively, our inability to get off on the field on 3rd downs was a killer. Some easy conversions we gave up by allowing them to take WR screens for 10+ yards. Overall though, they held the Rams to 20 points and you will take that. Defense allowed less than 16 PPG against three top 10 offenses in the postseason. That is stupid good right there. 

One of MANY missed opportunities for this organization in the last 11 years but on to the next.........

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I didn't get the delay of game missed calls. A few of them were obvious. But that's not why we lost.

So Kyle is getting flack for blowing a 10 point lead. He had one bad decision after the lead and it was his decisions preceding Mitchell's 9 yard run. But the time the offense had the ball after up 10, it was only a 3 point game. The defense allowed a TD far too easily and quickly and that was the bigger problem. This wasn't like we had a 10 point lead with 5 minutes to go and ended up choking it away. No, it was a 3 point game with almost the entire 4th quarter to go. This is where I just wish people used context and not just go off agenda based statements. 

When people say he should have gone for it on 4th down on all three trips past midfield, I don't agree with that. Going for it on 4th and 9 on the 42 yard line doesn't make all that much sense. You punt the ball, hope to pin the Rams inside the 10 and then let your defense go to work. The other was a 4th and 6 at the 40. Again, I'm not sure you go for it either. We ended up pinning the Rams inside the three yard line there. That one is a little tougher decision as six yards is more manageable than nine yards and you are a few yards closer. The 4th and 2 at the 45 yard line you have to go for though. I know we haven't been great on 4th downs but that one you go for. Put Deebo in the backfield and fake the hand off and run a boot with Kittle coming across the field and convert. 

Defensively, our inability to get off on the field on 3rd downs was a killer. Some easy conversions we gave up by allowing them to take WR screens for 10+ yards. Overall though, they held the Rams to 20 points and you will take that. Defense allowed less than 16 PPG against three top 10 offenses in the postseason. That is stupid good right there. 

One of MANY missed opportunities for this organization in the last 11 years but on to the next.........

Yeah, I would of ran something like this. I don't believe we've ran that PA bootleg pass to Kittle since the Dallas game? It usually is called a couple of times during game and usually nets positive yards. Oh well. 

I was surprised that the Rams had 18 3rd down tries but hey kudos to Stafford, he played much better than the last two games and he's the reason why they won.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was arguing with my brother about this last week.. he's a Cowboys fan & we both were too young for the glory years. I said I'd rather just lose in the first round and not suffer the much larger disappointment of losing super bowls and nfccgs.. he felt the opposite, would rather at least see them get there. He's probably right but **** does this feeling suck. I don't believe for a second we would have lost to Cinci... but there's always next year. 😕

• Like 1