Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

53 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd pay to see that slap-fight. Not much, but like $5 with no hesitation whatsoever. 

I could knock Virginia McCaskey out in 1, maybe 2 punches 

• Like 2

Me commenting on us passing on La'el Collins in 2015 in 6th rough reminded me of first real draft I was involved in.

Our local league went to an A and B system way back when.  So you took one team to play in top league and then you made up multiple teams from left over kids to play in a B league.  So we had to do a draft for B league teams.   

My buddy who I was going to coach with had a son who was a good athlete, so he went with A team coach who was already selected leaving me teamless.

So I just decided to help out for preseason practices and drills and made notes on every single kid for draft.

I graciously offered all my notes I painstakingly took over two weeks to every coach since I wasn't part of any staff.  You know what they did?  They all scoffed at me.  Scoffed!  Wouldn't even look at them.   Thought they were a joke.   I even had a ranking list for the draft.  I watched every drill these kids did and none of them did.   The egos on these guys.  They didn't even know me or ask about me.  I was just coming off a league championship the year prior.  Maybe because I was youngish at time ( this is a long time ago).         

I even got a kind of who do you think you are comment and a do you know who I am comment.   All except one guy who was all alone and who had no ACs to help him.

He let me run his draft.

We drafted by far the best B team of the 4.   These guys were idiots.  I hope none of them are reading this.

Anyway, back to Collins and what it reminded me of, there was this big kid that was 5-10 lbs past weight limit and he and his mom wanted to play at this level rather than with older kids.   I get that.  So he was going to try to lose the weight as he was a little chubby.

Because he was one of best players of all the kids out there if he could play I took him with my 3rd pick and just took the risk that I could help him lose that weight.  The other coaches all laughed that we took him since they assumed he would never play.  Literally laughed.    

I was so excited about roster I picked that I agree to coach with this guy and I pretty much run much of the show even though he is HC.   He called plays and designed them and I did O line and all of Defense and showed him how to scout other teams etc.     

Any way, we start the year 3-0 and other teams are 0-3  in our respective divisions (it is big suburban league so there are lots of teams).   

So there was lots of jealousy because they had realized they weren't as smart as they thought and I wasn't as dumb.  Some of their parents were upset at performance disparity too. 

So those coaches get together with A team coach and he lets them take three of our best players off our roster (without even telling us!) and that kid was one of them (he had just made weight that week for next game so he was suddenly desirable).   

I show up at practice on Monday.  I don't know where three of my kids are and I find out they are practicing with other teams.  Obviously I am a more than a little upset at this development.   Teaching young kids your system is no easy thing and our team is down to like 15 or 16 kids minus those 3. 

I threw a fit about that and so did their parents.   The team the big kid went to told him he could play RB and we had him playing on lines so he wanted to stay with the other team.   I didn't want to fight that, but we got other two kids back on our team.

We ended that year 12-0 and league champions of B league.    Everyone else was a disaster.

Larger point is take a risk on talent sometime Bears!   We passed on Tunsil who was sitting right there for us and turned into like 20 first rounders for Miami in trades.   We passed on Tyreek Hill in draft and Kareem Hunt when he was released and went to Browns for a song.  We would not have to go into draft having to draft Montgomery or bust.    We passed on Collins in entire draft like mentioned.

As long as they aren't locker room cancers than take a chance!  You can always cut them and the upside payout is worth it on occasion on a case by case basis.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Me commenting on us passing on La'el Collins in 2015 in 6th rough reminded me of first real draft I was involved in.

Our local league went to an A and B system way back when.  So you took one team to play in top league and then you made up multiple teams from left over kids to play in a B league.  So we had to do a draft for B league teams.   

My buddy who I was going to coach with had a son who was a good athlete, so he went with A team coach who was already selected leaving me teamless.

So I just decided to help out for preseason practices and drills and made notes on every single kid for draft.

I graciously offered all my notes I painstakingly took over two weeks to every coach since I wasn't part of any staff.  You know what they did?  They all scoffed at me.  Scoffed!  Wouldn't even look at them.   Thought they were a joke.   I even had a ranking list for the draft.  I watched every drill these kids did and none of them did.   The egos on these guys.  They didn't even know me or ask about me.  I was just coming off a league championship the year prior.  Maybe because I was youngish at time ( this is a long time ago).         

I even got a kind of who do you think you are comment and a do you know who I am comment.   All except one guy who was all alone and who had no ACs to help him.

He let me run his draft.

We drafted by far the best B team of the 4.   These guys were idiots.  I hope none of them are reading this.

Anyway, back to Collins and what it reminded me of, there was this big kid that was 5-10 lbs past weight limit and he and his mom wanted to play at this level rather than with older kids.   I get that.  So he was going to try to lose the weight as he was a little chubby.

Because he was one of best players of all the kids out there if he could play I took him with my 3rd pick and just took the risk that I could help him lose that weight.  The other coaches all laughed that we took him since they assumed he would never play.  Literally laughed.    

I was so excited about roster I picked that I agree to coach with this guy and I pretty much run much of the show even though he is HC.   He called plays and designed them and I did O line and all of Defense and showed him how to scout other teams etc.     

Any way, we start the year 3-0 and other teams are 0-3  in our respective divisions (it is big suburban league so there are lots of teams).   

So there was lots of jealousy because they had realized they weren't as smart as they thought and I wasn't as dumb.  Some of their parents were upset at performance disparity too. 

So those coaches get together with A team coach and he lets them take three of our best players off our roster (without even telling us!) and that kid was one of them (he had just made weight that week for next game so he was suddenly desirable).   

I show up at practice on Monday.  I don't know where three of my kids are and I find out they are practicing with other teams.  Obviously I am a more than a little upset at this development.   Teaching young kids your system is no easy thing and our team is down to like 15 or 16 kids minus those 3. 

I threw a fit about that and so did their parents.   The team the big kid went to told him he could play RB and we had him playing on lines so he wanted to stay with the other team.   I didn't want to fight that, but we got other two kids back on our team.

We ended that year 12-0 and league champions of B league.    Everyone else was a disaster.

Larger point is take a risk on talent sometime Bears!   We passed on Tunsil who was sitting right there for us and turned into like 20 first rounders for Miami in trades.   We passed on Tyreek Hill in draft and Kareem Hunt when he was released and went to Browns for a song.  We would not have to go into draft having to draft Montgomery or bust.    We passed on Collins in entire draft like mentioned.

As long as they aren't locker room cancers than take a chance!  You can always cut them and the upside payout is worth it on occasion on a case by case basis.

Here is a thought: Since Poles comes from an organization that has taken calculated risk in the past is it conceivable that he brings that here to the Bears?

19 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Here is a thought: Since Poles comes from an organization that has taken calculated risk in the past is it conceivable that he brings that here to the Bears?

Hope so.  Remains to be seen what his tendencies are.

He is being cautious in FA so far.   Which is usually right thing to do.   

I am a little disappointed we didn't land a center or DJ Chark for what he went for.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He let me run his draft.

I hope one of the dbags does read it. Lol

I made the joke that Pace put more emphasis on character than the Catholic Church, and that was one of his biggest downfalls (or I guess both their issues?). I think he had preconceived notions of who was the "good kid" and blew it out of proportion. Talent and effort speak more for wins than manners.

Take risks, punish poor behaviors in front of the team, and if it is repeatedly an issue then do it publicly. If they can't learn then they aren't going to be in your long term plan, so hit their pocketbooks. If you're scared to do that then you shouldn't coach imo. These are grown *** men, and they are highly compensated too. Act like it. You have 5-6 months to party/vacation as long as you keep in shape. 

If one of my supervisors got us crushed when the client inspected I brought them to the upper management meeting. They had to email to the general manager why they did a piss poor job with their 6 hour window, and we both took the ear beating over it. If someone who is making $50K can be held accountable then these guys making 7 figures should too. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I hope one of the dbags does read it. Lol

I made the joke that Pace put more emphasis on character than the Catholic Church, and that was one of his biggest downfalls (or I guess both their issues?). I think he had preconceived notions of who was the "good kid" and blew it out of proportion. Talent and effort speak more for wins than manners.

Take risks, punish poor behaviors in front of the team, and if it is repeatedly an issue then do it publicly. If they can't learn then they aren't going to be in your long term plan, so hit their pocketbooks. If you're scared to do that then you shouldn't coach imo. These are grown *** men, and they are highly compensated too. Act like it. You have 5-6 months to party/vacation as long as you keep in shape. 

If one of my supervisors got us crushed when the client inspected I brought them to the upper management meeting. They had to email to the general manager why they did a piss poor job with their 6 hour window, and we both took the ear beating over it. If someone who is making $50K can be held accountable then these guys making 7 figures should too. 

It was 16 or more years ago.  I don’t hold anything against them.  I never did really.  I remained friendly with them even in that season.  

I was younger than them and they were excited with new system.  I can see their point of view, it was human nature that they didn’t want hear advice from some youngish guy they didn’t know.  

I don’t carry grudges with anyone.  It hurts you more than them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We passed on Tyreek Hill in draft and Kareem Hunt when he was released and went to Browns for a song.

Well they both have domestic/physical violence in their history, and Chicago has never been interested in taking flyers on players like that. Tyreek only fell as far as he did for that reason. The chiefs were actually heavily criticized for taking a player with domestic violence issues. 

I kinda wish we had taken on either of them though, cause then maybe they could’ve taught us how to beat someone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Is it just me or do his mechanics look awkward and unnatural here? Is he working with Bears coaches or with his own guys?

Guys in the comments are saying about the same, specifically that they don't love that his shoulders and head rise during the throwing motion