2022 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

28 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

our inability to find a long-term RT solve starting with the Wilson pick has been such a thorn in our side

Hopefully Radunz can prove he’s ready to start.. idk what he needs to do tho because Vrabel clearly still doesn’t think he’s ready to start. He held his own in his first start thought that would be a trend in the right direction

2 hours ago, 615finest said:

Hopefully Radunz can prove he’s ready to start.. idk what he needs to do tho because Vrabel clearly still doesn’t think he’s ready to start. He held his own in his first start thought that would be a trend in the right direction

Considering how much better he looked in that start vs. his preseason, I think it's just him back to getting used to playing football and that normal adjustment period you see from non-elite rookies.  And we have like five months of offseason before he'll even see the field.

That's all he can do, keep working in the offseason.  I think he'll end up being a decent player this season.  Even if he starts a little slow, he showed a lot of growth already.  I think there'll be more.

I think the Titans have a plan.

The plan is the draft a QB either this year or next year that will be on a cheap rookie deal. This will enable them to pay AJ top money, along with Simmons.

I don't think the Titans want to pay top position money to AJ. Top position money to Simmons. Then big money to a QB. 

So I think there is a chance we do draft a QB this year. 

But I dont see them paying top money to AJ, Simmons and a big QB contract. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I think the Titans have a plan.

The plan is the draft a QB either this year or next year that will be on a cheap rookie deal. This will enable them to pay AJ top money, along with Simmons.

I don't think the Titans want to pay top position money to AJ. Top position money to Simmons. Then big money to a QB. 

So I think there is a chance we do draft a QB this year. 

But I dont see them paying top money to AJ, Simmons and a big QB contract. 

I think you are exactly right. I actually think regardless of what he does, this is Tannehill's last year as the Titans starting QB. Financially it isn't viable to keep him beyond with the big money contracts coming. At some point can't just keep running it back.

I appreciate everything Tannehill has done and he is a top 12 QB in the league imo but I think this is his last year.

42 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Knew we were predictable but wow lol

Will be interested to see how much Kelly changes this.

With the drastic changes they allowed Schwartz to make to the defense, could see something quite different this year on offense given they want Kelly to do what Schwartz did.

16 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Will be interested to see how much Kelly changes this.

With the drastic changes they allowed Schwartz to make to the defense, could see something quite different this year on offense given they want Kelly to do what Schwartz did.

Schwartz didn’t drastically make changes to the defense that is a bit overrated even no flags post a video about this, the big difference in our defense & drastic change were due to roster personnel changes we upgrade from jack Crawford clowney & Beasley plus better CB play. We literally ran the same scheme we tried last yr 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Schwartz didn’t drastically make changes to the defense that is a bit overrated even no flags post a video about this, the big difference in our defense & drastic change were due to roster personnel changes we upgrade from jack Crawford clowney & Beasley plus better CB play. We literally ran the same scheme we tried last yr 

We went from blitzing 373 times in 2020 to 188 in 2021. That is a difference of 23.3 per game to 11.0. That change is what allowed us to shut down the likes of the Chiefs as the way to beat them is get pressure with 4 and drop 8, which is not incidentally what Schwartz has been known for his entire career.

Even Pees in 2019(336/21 per) and 2020(320/20 per) blitzed at a far higher rate. The idea that Vrabel and Bowen just drastically switched their game planning and that Schwartz didn't have a drastic impact on changes made to it just isn't supported by reality. The Vrabel/Pees/Bowen thought process on defense(blitzing, at least) was made clear over 3 years. And it is not what we ran in 2021.

14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

We went from blitzing 373 times in 2020 to 188 in 2021. That is a difference of 23.3 per game to 11.0. That change is what allowed us to shut down the likes of the Chiefs as the way to beat them is get pressure with 4 and drop 8, which is not incidentally what Schwartz has been known for his entire career.

Even Pees in 2019(336/21 per) and 2020(320/20 per) blitzed at a far higher rate. The idea that Vrabel and Bowen just drastically switched their game planning and that Schwartz didn't have a drastic impact on changes made to it just isn't supported by reality. The Vrabel/Pees/Bowen thought process on defense(blitzing, at least) was made clear over 3 years. And it is not what we ran in 2021.

"blitz or no blitz" is not the sole metric by which to interpret a defensive scheme. coverages, personnel, etc were all similar to/logical evolutions of bowen year 1. additionally, jim schwartz didn't invent not blitzing- dropping everyone into coverage has become pretty much *the* widely accepted way to deal with high-powered passing attacks like KC in recent years. what's more, the "vrabel/pees/bowen approach" of blitzing more often happened to coincide with having a woeful front 4 that couldn't get pressure without blitzing. we saw this especially under pees, when our pass rush was *just okay* but basically solely because pees was quite good at scheming up pressures. i call that playing to your personnel, schwartz or no schwartz.

32 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

We didn’t blitz again look at our personnel last yr we had no depth clowney injured jack Crawford was a bum that offered nothing & Beasley was a fart in the wind that really wasn’t all on Schwartz better personnel allow you to do things from a creative stand point the coverage & scheme was the same 

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

"blitz or no blitz" is not the sole metric by which to interpret a defensive scheme. coverages, personnel, etc were all similar to/logical evolutions of bowen year 1. additionally, jim schwartz didn't invent not blitzing- dropping everyone into coverage has become pretty much *the* widely accepted way to deal with high-powered passing attacks like KC in recent years. what's more, the "vrabel/pees/bowen approach" of blitzing more often happened to coincide with having a woeful front 4 that couldn't get pressure without blitzing. we saw this especially under pees, when our pass rush was *just okay* but basically solely because pees was quite good at scheming up pressures. i call that playing to your personnel, schwartz or no schwartz.

It's not the sole metric, but your blitz rate and packages are one of the biggest, if not the biggest aspect of your defense, as the pass rush is the most important aspect of a defense in today's NFL. I wish I could find a website that went back even further, but the furthest back I can find numbers for is 2017, which would be Vrabel's lone season as DC in Houston and Pees' last season in Baltimore. Vrabel had the 8th highest frequency of blitzing in his lone year as a DC, Pees was 14th. Football Outsiders doesn't have their article out on the 2021 numbers yet so I don't know where the Titans rank exactly(and too lazy to put all that work in), however going over the stats of like 10 teams on PFR, the next lowest total number of blitzes I could find was still above 220 total, so we're likely the lowest blitzing % team in the league, and if we're not, we've gotta be close.

A complete divergence from the majority of what Pees/Vrabel/Bowen have been around in their career.

We can talk all we want about "scheming to your personnel" but me and you both know that's bull**** for like 95% of coaches in this league. They run their scheme regardless of whether it fits what their players do or not. Even Schwartz is guilty of that, and why a lot of people wanted him fired for his 04-06 stretch here in Tennessee. What could be a credit to Vrabel and Bowen actually is realizing the scheme they run just wasn't cutting it, and that even with a guy like Pees who is one of the best(or was, at least) blitz schemers in the entire league and led us to having two really good defenses in 18 and 19(19 kinda fell off statistically towards the end, but a lot of that was due to injuries), those blitzes just weren't getting it done against the modernized NFL offenses. If you don't have enough people in coverage, it doesn't matter who you're using in pass rush or how good the stunt or delay or disguise blitz is.

The hope will be that if Schwartz decides to take a DC job next off-season that Vrabel and Bowen retain his philosophy on blitzing(and Robinson continues supplying the talent to allow it to work) and we can keep this up.

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It's not the sole metric, but your blitz rate and packages are one of the biggest, if not the biggest aspect of your defense, as the pass rush is the most important aspect of a defense in today's NFL. I wish I could find a website that went back even further, but the furthest back I can find numbers for is 2017, which would be Vrabel's lone season as DC in Houston and Pees' last season in Baltimore. Vrabel had the 8th highest frequency of blitzing in his lone year as a DC, Pees was 14th. Football Outsiders doesn't have their article out on the 2021 numbers yet so I don't know where the Titans rank exactly(and too lazy to put all that work in), however going over the stats of like 10 teams on PFR, the next lowest total number of blitzes I could find was still above 220 total, so we're likely the lowest blitzing % team in the league, and if we're not, we've gotta be close.

A complete divergence from the majority of what Pees/Vrabel/Bowen have been around in their career.

We can talk all we want about "scheming to your personnel" but me and you both know that's bull**** for like 95% of coaches in this league. They run their scheme regardless of whether it fits what their players do or not. Even Schwartz is guilty of that, and why a lot of people wanted him fired for his 04-06 stretch here in Tennessee. What could be a credit to Vrabel and Bowen actually is realizing the scheme they run just wasn't cutting it, and that even with a guy like Pees who is one of the best(or was, at least) blitz schemers in the entire league and led us to having two really good defenses in 18 and 19(19 kinda fell off statistically towards the end, but a lot of that was due to injuries), those blitzes just weren't getting it done against the modernized NFL offenses. If you don't have enough people in coverage, it doesn't matter who you're using in pass rush or how good the stunt or delay or disguise blitz is.

The hope will be that if Schwartz decides to take a DC job next off-season that Vrabel and Bowen retain his philosophy on blitzing(and Robinson continues supplying the talent to allow it to work) and we can keep this up.

Go & watch that video no flags posted it’s the same scheme we ran last year only difference we blitz more & ran more stunts but you can do that when you have better personnel, for ex your not about to blitz if you know you have a corner that can’t  play man & hold his own & you not gone blitz when you don’t have LB can’t cover you’re putting your team in a bad position. & you right Schwartz isn’t a great DC Tampa 2 wide 9 scheme bend don’t break 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Go & watch that video no flags posted it’s the same scheme we ran last year only difference we blitz more & ran more stunts but you can do that when you have better personnel, for ex your not about to blitz if you know you have a corner that can’t  play man & hold his own & you not gone blitz when you don’t have LB can’t cover you’re putting your team in a bad position. & you right Schwartz isn’t a great DC Tampa 2 wide 9 scheme bend don’t break 

We do not blitz more. The numbers are on PFR to check, though I already provided them in the first post made about this.