2022 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

48 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Brown's deal will probably just get done around training camp. We made Lewan the highest paid offensive lineman ever in training camp of 2018, Byard the highest paid safety ever in training camp of 2019. I assume that trend continues with our major extensions.

Honestly I see it going 2 ways & I say this because at 1st I thought AJ was for sure getting an extension this summer, but the WR market has been reset by a wide margin & I feel that AJ & his agent are for sure going to be demanding more than Christian Kirk. I think based on his injury history the titans might have him prove he can stay healthy a full season if AJ won’t agree to a # the titans have in mind already. 

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Honestly I see it going 2 ways & I say this because at 1st I thought AJ was for sure getting an extension this summer, but the WR market has been reset by a wide margin & I feel that AJ & his agent are for sure going to be demanding more than Christian Kirk. I think based on his injury history the titans might have him prove he can stay healthy a full season if AJ won’t agree to a # the titans have in mind already. 

There isn't much use in balking about the market though. It is what it is. If we traded AJ Brown for the 10th pick and drafted a great receiver there, we'd have to be paying him far more in 3-4 years than we have to pay AJ now. Market is going to rise year after year, just like the cap does.

Total amount shouldn't really be the concern here when dealing with a player that has proven themselves like AJ. The only reason to shy away from paying someone like AJ a lot of money is if they just don't find value in the position, but that is almost assuredly not the case given this is the front office that has spent a first round pick on Corey Davis, a 2nd round pick on AJ Brown, a sizeable contract to Adam Humphries, traded a 2nd and 4th+ took on the contract of Julio Jones, didn't have to give up much for Robert Woods but willing to take on his contract, etc.

Robinson already has said he wants AJ Brown to be here a long time. Rapoport said back during the playoffs that we were already looking to make Brown one of the highest paid receivers in football.

Something will get done, and it likely will be in the top 5 receiver contracts in the league. Might even be #1.

25 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

There isn't much use in balking about the market though. It is what it is. If we traded AJ Brown for the 10th pick and drafted a great receiver there, we'd have to be paying him far more in 3-4 years than we have to pay AJ now. Market is going to rise year after year, just like the cap does.

Point proven in 3-4 years we won’t be cap tight how we are today, you can get a WR on a rookie deal far less than paying 22-25 mill annually. Like I said I think it’ll go 2 ways I know Rob said he was willing to make him 1 of the highest paid WR’s in the league but that was way before WR’s start making 25-28 mill with 60-70 mill in guarantees.

Edited by TitanRedd

11 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

& back to the argument yes I would because Stingly is a 1 in a generational talent yes he had a foot injury he recovering from but news flash when players are banged up in college they’re not about to play hurt as much even with minor injuries to protect their brand for the NFL. AJ is nice a stud but when you talking bout paying a WR 22-25 mill annually which means somewhere in 45-60 some mill guaranteed, you’re hoping he gives you 13-16 games a year & I rather pay a once in a generation CB on a rookie deal that’s going to have a bigger impact on the field than AJ who we’re paying 22-25 mill a year who’s only being targeted 5.6 times a game. 
once again you’re trading AJ for a top 10 pick & we still have pick #26. AJ can be replaced in a run 1st offense. See Corey Davis, Kendall wright, Kenny Britt. 

Our "run 1st offense" has always been ineffective when there is no explosive passing game complimenting it.

Unlike the running game, the passing game doesn't work without legitimate WRs. 

You're comparing the most important non-QB on our team to Kendall Wright.

Edited by TitanSS

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Our "run 1st offense" has always been ineffective when there is no explosive passing game complimenting it.

Unlike the running game, the passing game doesn't work without legitimate WRs. 

You're comparing the most important non-QB on our team to Kendall Wright.

Again, I’m speaking on hypothetically trading him for a top 10 pick & keeping pick 26.  You are absolutely right in our run 1st offense you need that explosive weapon at WR, but like I said we always replace WR’s this not new. From Kenny Britt, to Kendall wright, from Corey Davis to AJ brown. It’s not that hard to find a WR to fit in our offense if this hypothetical were to happen. 

5 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Again, I’m speaking on hypothetically trading him for a top 10 pick & keeping pick 26.  You are absolutely right in our run 1st offense you need that explosive weapon at WR, but like I said we always replace WR’s this not new. From Kenny Britt, to Kendall wright, from Corey Davis to AJ brown. It’s not that hard to find a WR to fit in our offense if this hypothetical were to happen. 

But look at the WRs you just listed prior to AJ. They were all #2 WR, at best. We’ve been searching for a a bonafide #1 WR for years, we finally draft one, so let’s trade him because it’s time to pay him? I’m not for it.

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Everyone is trying to deconstruct this team already. 

Eh, that's not really how I read that. If we draft another back, it will be for the same reason we drafted Evans. We're always talking about needing someone to spell Henry... 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Kenny Britt sucked when we weren't playing the Eagles and Kendall Wright has always sucked. Corey Davis was decent. In what world do you think it has been easy for us to find WRs like AJB?

Not only that, with those players when we didn't have AJB we had one of the worst offenses in the league in points scored and third down efficiency. We had one year where we were league average bin 2008 and outside of that we've been a bad offensive team for over a decade.

AJB is the hardest player on this team to replace. Point, blank, period.

Edited by TitanSS

53 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

But look at the WRs you just listed prior to AJ. They were all #2 WR, at best. We’ve been searching for a a bonafide #1 WR for years, we finally draft one, so let’s trade him because it’s time to pay him? I’m not for it.

Right. Davis is a #2 and the others basically didn't have careers after their rookie contract.

59 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Ask anyone on this form Kenny Britt was a #1 WR after he tore his ACL he fell out with the organization. Went to the rams put up a 1k yards Corey Davis my opinion him an AJ both are #1 WR in our style of offense the only thing holding CD back was QB play & injuries. Mariota couldn’t get him the ball & his 1st yr with RT he was completely ignored at times, 2nd yr with RT almost a 1k yards missed 2 games also with Covid. But again my point it’s not hard to replace a WR in a run 1st offense No discredit to AJ when healthy he’s a top 10 WR but it’s not like we use him as we should, he avg 5.6 targets a game again 5.6 targets when do you see us moving him around trying to create mismatches putting him at the slot, or going bunch formations with him off the Line to get him a free release. Like y’all don’t understand what I’m saying, because y’all caught up in his talent I get that. But I’m speaking hypothetically if it came down to trading him for a top 10 pick you do it. You can replace him it’s not hard again we’re not a high volume passing offense that make it a must we give him the ball.