Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Heinz, the guy was an All Pro FS under Fangio whose role has been completely changed so he's no longer being used the same way.  He's never been a "banger" at Safety even in college so expecting him to play like one is like wishing Monty could play LT.

The reason they've changed his role and as often as not had Gipson playing as the FS is because Eddie is more versatile.  Am I satisfied with his open field tackling?  No  But then why are we putting him in a position where he's called upon to do it more often.

Once again the Bears keep trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

Jackson had one outstanding year when the front seven in front of him played epic football.

He had one decent season afterward...and has pretty much stunk since then. 

I have no idea why anyone would claim otherwise. We see him fail, continually, in almost every game he plays in. 

And, if he's a safety, he absolutely needs to be able to tackle in the open field. If he can't (and he CAN'T)--that's basically akin to a wide receiver that's unable to catch the ball. 

You're coming to the defense of a wide receiver who's unable to catch the ball. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G08 said:

Jason Licht was given swing number 3 on his head coach, and he's got a Super Bowl trophy to show for it.

27-53 record before Arians came along... just sayin'

Jason Licht also managed to convince the greatest QB of all time to sign with his team.

If he doesn't get Brady then this is not even a conversation.

Also Licht knows how to draft OL & WRs.. something Pace has struggled mightily with

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Jackson had one outstanding year when the front seven in front of him played epic football.

He had one decent season afterward...and has pretty much stunk since then. 

I have no idea why anyone would claim otherwise. We see him fail, continually, in almost every game he plays in. 

And, if he's a safety, he absolutely needs to be able to tackle in the open field. If he can't (and he CAN'T)--that's basically akin to a wide receiver that's unable to catch the ball. 

You're coming to the defense of a wide receiver who's unable to catch the ball. 

I've tried explaining how for at least two years and maybe three EJax has been playing out of position.  Don't take my word for it.  Read what Desai and Townsend have said.

They're moving him around like a chess piece and as such he's gonna be put in situations that aren't to his advantage skill wise.  His tackling needs work.  I agree with you on that.

But even more so EJax should be put back in his old FS postion.  His best play game when he was paired with Amos who is a SS.  Since then he's been paired with two other FS types.

So do I think EJax needs to improve in some ways?  Yes  Do I think we should trade or release him?  No  We don't need anymore holes in the secondary to fill we need a SS to pair with him.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, soulman said:

I've tried explaining how for at least two years and maybe three EJax has been playing out of position.  Don't take my word for it.  Read what Desai and Townsend have said.

They're moving him around like a chess piece and as such he's gonna be put in situations that aren't to his advantage skill wise.  His tackling needs work.  I agree with you on that.

But even more so EJax should be put back in his old FS postion.  His best play game when he was paired with Amos who is a SS.  Since then he's been paired with two other FS types.

So do I think EJax needs to improve in some ways?  Yes  Do I think we should trade or release him?  No  We don't need anymore holes in the secondary to fill we need a SS to pair with him.

Hm. Wonder how much Jackson's effectiveness is tied to having a good strong safety to do the clean up work.  Always thought that Roquan was going to be as good as the DL would let him be (good!) but never thought about it for safeties. Wonder what other positions that's true for. 

• Like 1

I'm just tired of the excuses for Jackson. If Jackson was so good as a center fielder and it's as simple as "let him roam and take the ball away," why the f*** wouldn't a coach put him there? Like, it can't be THAT simple. No coach in their right mind- not even these dopes- would say "hey we have an All Pro as long as we let him play a pure FS spot, but let's not."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm just tired of the excuses for Jackson. If Jackson was so good as a center fielder and it's as simple as "let him roam and take the ball away," why the f*** wouldn't a coach put him there? Like, it can't be THAT simple. No coach in their right mind- not even these dopes- would say "hey we have an All Pro as long as we let him play a pure FS spot, but let's not."

Kinda like how Nagy would never in a thousand years dream of not establishing the run to help support MT. Wait...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Could speak more to the defense and what these players can do well. Jackson in center field would thrive in zone schemes, I feel that we have been playing more man.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Can’t say one way or the other for sure, but it wouldn’t exactly be an anomaly for this coaching staff to mismanage a guy with a specific skill set or this front office to not have a good grasp on what is needed to supplement what we already have. Jackson needing to be better and Jackson needing to be put in the right position and surrounded with the appropriate counterpart players to maximize what he can do well are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Kinda like how Nagy would never in a thousand years dream of not establishing the run to help support MT. Wait...

Run support wasn't going to help Trubisky. The guy was a tomato can

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Can’t say one way or the other for sure, but it wouldn’t exactly be an anomaly for this coaching staff to mismanage a guy with a specific skill set or this front office to not have a good grasp on what is needed to supplement what we already have. Jackson needing to be better and Jackson needing to be put in the right position and surrounded with the appropriate counterpart players to maximize what he can do well are not mutually exclusive. 

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Could speak more to the defense and what these players can do well. Jackson in center field would thrive in zone schemes, I feel that we have been playing more man.

True, and I agree, but if it's as simple as "let him do exactly what he did in 2018 and he'll have 3+ INT's annually" I think it would've happen. Just my 2 cents. Nagy sucks, Desai is overrated, yadda yadda I agree, but Jackson seems to have gotten his bag (something he wanted to do every single f***ing day on IG it seemed) and packed it in

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Nagy sucks, Desai is overrated, yadda yadda I agree, but Jackson seems to have gotten his bag (something he wanted to do every single f***ing day on IG it seemed) and packed it in

Nagy sucks - I agree

Desai is overrated - I don't agree, I think he's been doing well "all things considered"

Jackson seems to have gotten his bag - 100% And you hit the nail on the head with his ******* IG account. **** him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Exactly.  No sense ranting about players being played out of position around here.  We aren't coaching the Bears.  But it's pretty clear beardown hasn't read a single word Desai or Townsend have said about why EJax is being played as he is.

It's not as simple as SS/FS. Bears still put Jackson in some familiar coverages - deep middle in a cover 3, deep half. But his positioning just isn't as good. And he's not fast or instinctive enough to make up for poor positioning.

Meanwhile, Justin Simmons has suddenly started making more plays on the ball than ever before. Coincidence? I don't think so. But unless you bring Fangio back, you won't see that from Eddie.

Even if we ignore the big plays, though - why can't the guy tackle? And why is he viewed as a leader when his own effort is so awful?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, soulman said:

Exactly.  No sense ranting about players being played out of position around here.  We aren't coaching the Bears.  But it's pretty clear beardown hasn't read a single word Desai or Townsend have said about why EJax is being played as he is.

Again, if it was as simple as you're making it sound, they'd break their scheme to let Jackson do what he's comfortable with. No coach- not even these nimrods- wouldn't want 5+ interceptions from a FS. I don't think it's a coincidence that 2 DC's post-Fangio Jackson is still nowhere near the ball. It's becoming clearer by the day that the 2018 season was a major outlier and even if Fangio were to return Jackson won't be the same guy ever again

Edited by beardown3231