Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

To expand on this part (and to sort of play devils advocate here) , I'm still of the opinion that this is a bad year to find a new HC as I just don't see any real "home-runs" this year that might be available. 

Don't get this confused with me saying Nagy should stay either. Lets get that clear right now lol. ANYONE is better at this point. But the options are marginal IMO.

Chalk me up as saying I think Bieniemy may be just as bad or worse than Nagy. lol

Do you have anyone you are watching close for the next year or two as major prospects? I still think Jerod Mayo can fly up the charts to be a HC in the next 2-4 years but shouldn't get an interview this year at all. DeMeco Ryans and Larry Foote are both guys I'd like to see as DCs in the near future too.

Josh Gattis in Michigan has surprised me with his creativity. Michigan has a pro style offense but likes to get creative, I'd like to see how he gets McNamara to develop over the next year or two.

I think Dan Mullen may be an OC in the NFL this next year. Dude couldn't recruit at all, but the offense was still producing even with poor talent.

If Day does make the jump to the NFL then Fickell in CIN would likely be a top name with Matt Campbell to replace him. Both have taken their programs as high as they are going to go so they'll likely get a ton of demand from the NFL and top programs.

Hackett from GB would be interesting, I think he can be hired as an OC from GB but has to be guaranteed playcalling duties. Rodgers seems to think highly of him and that's not something to sneeze at. Would be interesting to stack him with someone if we got a defensive HC like Bowles.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Chalk me up as saying I think Bieniemy may be just as bad or worse than Nagy. lol

Yes sir. The hype surrounding Beinamy for the last 2-3 years is akin to Daboll this year IMO.

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Do you have anyone you are watching close for the next year or two as major prospects?

This is a hard question to ask because I'm not thinking that far.  I'm only thinking if Nagy gets fired then we don't have many good options--better yes....but not good IMO. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have always saw it a little differently when it comes to what happened last offseason...I think had it not been for covid and all the impacts that had in terms of finances and disruption as well as the potential for even more uncertainty Nagy would have been fired...I think they valued the stability he brought more than the potential upheaval of a new HC in troubling times...

I also don't think in a million years they thought they were getting Fields and probably even saw getting Mac as a long shot so are now totally off script...

The thing is Fields is Nagy has shown he can't develop a QB long term at all with Trubisky and even a vet can't get anything out of his scheme...guys like ARob are a huge indictment of that scheme and the fact it is going backwards...

Then of course there is the fans...if Nagy is kept after this season with all the boos and fire Nagy chants as well as this being year 4 and that offence never having been better than 21st overall in total offence they will lose ticket sales and fans in general...they physically can't keep Nagy in place IMO.  

I agree. Fields absolutely fell in their laps. No question. But I do believe Fields was high on Nagy's chart and Pace was listening to Nagy and persuaded him to trade up for Fields.

See...I don't necessarily agree with the whole idea that Nagy cannot develop a QB either just because he couldn't develop Mitch and Foles. I don't subscribe to that idea because Mitch looked like a bust from jump out of college to begin with. Put him with any coach and the result would've been the same. Foles.....we all know he was always a flash in the pan.

As far as the response if George kept Nagy this year...........that **** would receive a capital riot esque response from both the media and fans. 

18 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I agree. Fields absolutely fell in their laps. No question. But I do believe Fields was high on Nagy's chart and Pace was listening to Nagy and persuaded him to trade up for Fields.

See...I don't necessarily agree with the whole idea that Nagy cannot develop a QB either just because he couldn't develop Mitch and Foles. I don't subscribe to that idea because Mitch looked like a bust from jump out of college to begin with. Put him with any coach and the result would've been the same. Foles.....we all know he was always a flash in the pan.

As far as the response if George kept Nagy this year...........that **** would receive a capital riot esque response from both the media and fans. 

I really hope no one had to persuade Pace to make that more or he really is incompetent 😂...

I think with Trubisky what we really need to see is how he looks if Allen ever goes down in Buffalo...I don't think Trubisky is good...but I also don't think he is as bad as Nagy's scheme made him look at times...

And agreed on the riot point...I have never saw it in the NFL but over here fans will protest to get a coach fired...it could get that bad 😂  

14 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Honestly, I think we are going to see another head-scratching hire, that none of us saw coming, who is incapable of building around Fields and ruining the best prospect QB we have ever had.

Is it cynical thinking? Yes. But it's also the reality of this organization.

I think in some ways we haven't made many head scratching decisions when hiring...outside of Trestman of course...Lovie was a top coordinator...Fox was coming off the back of three 12+ win seasons and had been to two superbowls...even Nagy was seen as a quality candidate and we fought off Indy for him...it's just they haven't worked out but I don't think we can really question the hires...

For me we need to just have everyone on the table...interview as many viable candidates as we can then pick the guy who we feel can help Fields the most...everything else we can work out through building a staff and almost developing the HC as they go because I don't believe many guys are just born ready for it.

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really hope no one had to persuade Pace to make that more or he really is incompetent 😂...

I get your point but I was talking more in terms of how Pace was letting Nagy choose his guy.

I think with Trubisky what we really need to see is how he looks if Allen ever goes down in Buffalo...I don't think Trubisky is good...but I also don't think he is as bad as Nagy's scheme made him look at times...

Mitch is what he is at this point, regardless of who his coach is. A high level backup QB with potential to be a low level starter.

And agreed on the riot point...I have never saw it in the NFL but over here fans will protest to get a coach fired...it could get that bad 😂

America is different dude. OMG is it different. I love this place and I love being an American, but lately I've been embarrassed to be one.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think in some ways we haven't made many head scratching decisions when hiring...outside of Trestman of course...Lovie was a top coordinator...Fox was coming off the back of three 12+ win seasons and had been to two superbowls...even Nagy was seen as a quality candidate and we fought off Indy for him...it's just they haven't worked out but I don't think we can really question the hires...

For me we need to just have everyone on the table...interview as many viable candidates as we can then pick the guy who we feel can help Fields the most...everything else we can work out through building a staff and almost developing the HC as they go because I don't believe many guys are just born ready for it.

Unfortunately, all of this starts with McCaskey and I don't see this changing. They fired the best coach we have ever had (yes Lovie was better than Ditka) after a 10 win season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Honestly, I think we are going to see another head-scratching hire, that none of us saw coming, who is incapable of building around Fields and ruining the best prospect QB we have ever had.

Is it cynical thinking? Yes. But it's also the reality of this organization.

Watch as Pettine gets the HC gig because of your post.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

To expand on this part (and to sort of play devils advocate here) , I'm still of the opinion that this is a bad year to find a new HC as I just don't see any real "home-runs" this year that might be available. 

Don't get this confused with me saying Nagy should stay either. Lets get that clear right now lol. ANYONE is better at this point. But the options are marginal IMO.

Respectfully disagree with this. When is there ever really a home run hire? 

A lot of people thought that was the case when Bears hired both Fox & Nagy and look how those situations turned out.

Sometimes the most overlooked candidates end up being the best. See Frank Reich a few years ago. Ballard wanted both Nagy and McDaniels ahead of him and he's turned out to be pretty good for the Colts.

Keep in mind that there may also be a lesser amount of HC job openings this coming offseason. I'm sure there will be a surprise firing or two that we won't see coming but as of right now Bears might only have to compete with Jags, Raiders, Broncos & Vikings

• Like 1

Anecdotally, hiring coaches seems to be a similar crapshoot to hiring QBs.

Look around the league. Guys like Bowles, Flores, Joseph, even Nagy were all considered good hires at the time they were made. For every Kingsbury you have a Saban, Urban, or Kelly. Guys like Belichick and Arians were retreads. Guys like Reich and LaFleur were heavily doubted.

Bears just need to make a sensible hire and hope they get the right roll of the dice.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Do you have anyone you are watching close for the next year or two as major prospects? I still think Jerod Mayo can fly up the charts to be a HC in the next 2-4 years but shouldn't get an interview this year at all. DeMeco Ryans and Larry Foote are both guys I'd like to see as DCs in the near future too.

Josh Gattis in Michigan has surprised me with his creativity. Michigan has a pro style offense but likes to get creative, I'd like to see how he gets McNamara to develop over the next year or two.

I think Dan Mullen may be an OC in the NFL this next year. Dude couldn't recruit at all, but the offense was still producing even with poor talent.

If Day does make the jump to the NFL then Fickell in CIN would likely be a top name with Matt Campbell to replace him. Both have taken their programs as high as they are going to go so they'll likely get a ton of demand from the NFL and top programs.

Hackett from GB would be interesting, I think he can be hired as an OC from GB but has to be guaranteed playcalling duties. Rodgers seems to think highly of him and that's not something to sneeze at. Would be interesting to stack him with someone if we got a defensive HC like Bowles.

DeMeco Ryans is already the DC in San Fran bur I agree on Foote and he could be a big name if Leftwich gets a top job...I really like Mayo but think he needs to become a DC for a few years before making the jump...would love to get him with McDaniels but worry he would only be here a couple of years like you said...

Gattis has been really good this year but unless it's with Harbaugh I would like to see him repeat the feat next season...

I would want no part of Mullen...

Hackett is another guy I don't get the hype around...even give me Greg Roman first.

24 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Anecdotally, hiring coaches seems to be a similar crapshoot to hiring QBs.

Look around the league. Guys like Bowles, Flores, Joseph, even Nagy were all considered good hires at the time they were made. For every Kingsbury you have a Saban, Urban, or Kelly. Guys like Belichick and Arians were retreads. Guys like Reich and LaFleur were heavily doubted.

Bears just need to make a sensible hire and hope they get the right roll of the dice.

No doubt there is a ton of luck in hiring a HC...you need the pieces to fall into place quickly.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Respectfully disagree with this. When is there ever really a home run hire? 

A lot of people thought that was the case when Bears hired both Fox & Nagy and look how those situations turned out.

Sometimes the most overlooked candidates end up being the best. See Frank Reich a few years ago. Ballard wanted both Nagy and McDaniels ahead of him and he's turned out to be pretty good for the Colts.

Keep in mind that there may also be a lesser amount of HC job openings this coming offseason. I'm sure there will be a surprise firing or two that we won't see coming but as of right now Bears might only have to compete with Jags, Raiders, Broncos & Vikings

There are usually guys who atleast sound good on paper but this year they don't. All of the names floating around (McDaniels, Daboll, Harbaugh, etc) sound like bad ideas for one reason or another while the more intriguing options (Cambell, Day, Swinney, etc) don't seem realistic.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

There are usually guys who atleast sound good on paper but this year they don't. All of the names floating around (McDaniels, Daboll, Harbaugh, etc) sound like bad ideas for one reason or another while the more intriguing options (Cambell, Day, Swinney, etc) don't seem realistic.

Interesting choices for your intriguing options.