Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

While I'm sure Reich had a lot of positive influence on Wentz's development, the Philly offense wasn't too shabby in 2018 after Reich left for the Colts, and it could be argued that Wentz was on pace for a better season in 2018 statistically then his 2017 all pro MVP caliber season before both got cut short due to injury.

I still don't know how any one can discredit Doug Pederson after he coached the Eagles to their only Super bowl victory in franchise history.

Let's also not forget that Philly has a history of letting good coaches go because their owner ship likes to meddle in day to day football operations. Look no further than them letting Andy Reid go.

Like I said I truly believe Pederson is a good coach and people are simply overlooking him because of the Nagy connection to Reid 

And in all honesty my bias leads me away from him just for this reason too I bet. You're probably right.

I was one who was enthralled by their offense and became a big fan of Flip. The timing throws, throwing people open and being able to know what leverage the throw with due to the alignments, etc made it a crazy-hard scheme to stop if they were on the same page. If he can get Wentz-like production (pre-injuries) out of Fields then I'll be the first to vote for him to have a statue at Soldier Field, or whatever the Arlington Heights place will be called.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

What puts me of Pederson a bit is the fact it went from being so good to being so bad quickly.

He went from being so bad to so good when all of the talent that he was gifted with in his first year, that took them to SB in 2017, went away and he had to adjust. He is Matt Nagy with a better QB and a title.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He went from being so bad to so good when all of the talent that he was gifted with in his first year, that took them to SB in 2017, went away and he had to adjust. He is Matt Nagy with a better QB and a title.

I have to say I agree with this thinking...would be highly disappointing in my eyes but as with anyone we hire if he is the Bears HC I would be 100% behind him. 

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

What puts me of Pederson a bit is the fact it went from being so good to being so bad quickly.

I get that part but his last year in Philly he was dealing with numerous injuries to the OL and bad QB play. 

Apparently he was also being told from ownership  how to manage his staff and gameday roster decisions. It was just an odd year.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 1:14 PM, G08 said:

Elaborate on that, because to me it seems like his only success has come with Bruce Arians.

6 years in the league, coordinated the worst offense in the NFL after Bruce Arians left (32nd in points per game).

What has he commanded?

He was a top 10 pick at QB in the league.

He has been more in the spotlight and commanded the locker room more than any coach.

He has done the most difficult job in football… franchise QB.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

No coach “wins on his own” or “wins without talent” or anything like that. Not even Belichick. We really need to dispense with those ideas to judge any of these candidates fairly. We’d never hold an existing HC to that standard.

No HC means no bad HC. I like it.

We need to employ the trinity. Offensive coach, defensive coach, ST coach. Each coach makes all the decisions on their own side of the ball, GM makes the final say in gameday rosters and such after getting their inputs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I get that part but his last year in Philly he was dealing with numerous injuries to the OL and bad QB play. 

Apparently he was also being told from ownership  how to manage his staff and gameday roster decisions. It was just an odd year.

While I want a GM to run the organization I do kind of agree with Parcells - "If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries."

GMs need to work with HC, Harbaugh got the same kind of treatment from Baalke and I think it cost the team. Yes the GM needs the final say, but to tell the HC who to play, "take what I give you and make it work" etc is just bad business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I just worry why the front office felt they needed to step in like that? Of course we will never know that full story but like you said it is odd...

The relationship with Wentz is also a concern with how quickly that reportedly fell apart...I guess I just don't see his value outside of one season where they caught lightning in a bottle with Foles and won the SB...

Guess I just think there are a lot of guys I would rather take a chance on.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just worry why the front office felt they needed to step in like that? Of course we will never know that full story but like you said it is odd...

The relationship with Wentz is also a concern with how quickly that reportedly fell apart...I guess I just don't see his value outside of one season where they caught lightning in a bottle with Foles and won the SB...

Guess I just think there are a lot of guys I would rather take a chance on.

I agree with this 💯 

Pederson is far from my first choice but I'm just pointing out that he's better than a lot of these other options being talked about like Frazier, Bowles, etc.

I'm still fully on the McDaniels hype train and Daboll is also still on my radar 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I agree with this 💯 

Pederson is far from my first choice but I'm just pointing out that he's better than a lot of these other options being talked about like Frazier, Bowles, etc.

I'm still fully on the McDaniels hype train and Daboll is also still on my radar 

The thing with Daboll is for everyone who questions his play selection and even scheme...me included at times...his offence is still putting at on average 28 points per game...same goes for Moore in Dallas who is averaging around the same...we would rip your hand off for that...

That said McDaniels for me is still #1 by a distance...going to watch more of TB to see what Leftwich's offence offers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't see Super Bowl only seasons as the biggest positives for head coaches, and pretty sure you don't either.

Pederson wouldn't be my first choice, but he was apparently jerked around by ownership in Philly, and that was a huge factor in his demise there. 

Again, not my first choice, but wouldn't be a BAD choice, at all. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The thing with Daboll is for everyone who questions his play selection and even scheme...me included at times...his offence is still putting at on average 28 points per game...same goes for Moore in Dallas who is averaging around the same...we would rip your hand off for that...

That said McDaniels for me is still #1 by a distance...going to watch more of TB to see what Leftwich's offence offers.

I'd rip my junk off for McDaniels (and I hated him for a while). I'd drink a happy beer for the others.

• Like 2