Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I actually came away from last night’s game with some optimism about the future of our OL, because from what I saw last night Jenkins can play, and can play LT. I thought held his own all night, especially considering it was his first start, on MNF, against the team leading the league in sacks. It wasn’t all roses and Mai Tais - the false start absolutely can’t happen, but the other 2 penalties called on him were bull **** (the early hold wasn’t a hold, and the personal foul was reaction to getting punched in the face himself right in front of the ref, which was inexplicably not called). Borom has shown to be at least adequate at RT. Whitehair is solid if unspectacular (and because of his contract is very unlikely to go anywhere next year). I think they’ll push to keep Daniels. Mustipher is the clear weak link IMO and we 100% need an upgrade there next year, but I don’t think it’s a full blown overhaul situation anymore. Jenkins was supposed to be good, but the apparent find with Borom alters the equation for me.

For me, we need 2 IOL this offseason - that can be 2 guards with Whitehair shifting back to center, or a G and C. Don’t care which. Get the best available guys. The future appears to be set at tackle. And for god’s sake maybe a play caller who knows how to not constantly put his OL in bad situations. 

Agree. Whitehair is decent, Daniels has to stay and it's (obviously) way too early to dump Borom or Jenkins. I think the focus needs to be on WR, TE, CB and S in the offseason

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Agree. Whitehair is decent, Daniels has to stay and it's (obviously) way too early to dump Borom or Jenkins. I think the focus needs to be on WR, TE, CB and S in the offseason

Agree... OL needs continuity for once. Nobody moving sides, learning this or that.

Just get a new center and let them gel together.

There is no doubt Leftwich would completely change the concept of the offence...

Pass Completions of 20+ Yards...

2019 - Bears - 29th in the NFL with 39 - Bucs - 1st in the NFL with 75.

2020 - Bears - 25th in the NFL with 42 - Bucs - 3rd in the NFL with 67.

2021 - Bears - 24th in the NFL with 36 - Bucs - 2nd in the NFL with 58.

6 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Agree... OL needs continuity for once. Nobody moving sides, learning this or that.

Just get a new center and let them gel together.

I think it will depend on how much Daniels wants. If he wants top 15 money I don't even make a counteroffer. I'd rather plug Ifedi in at $3-4 mil than Daniels at $10 mil. Then take that extra $6 mil and put it toward a WR or CB. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I think it will depend on how much Daniels wants. If he wants top 15 money I don't even make a counteroffer. I'd rather plug Ifedi in at $3-4 mil than Daniels at $10 mil. Then take that extra $6 mil and put it toward a WR or CB. 

For me his value is somewhere in the middle...but really it's scheme dependent for me...bring in McDaniels and he is a must resign for me...bring in a Leftwich or Moore and it would be more hesitant. 

• Like 3

I'm significantly more pessimistic on this Oline. Whitehair and Daniels are average at best. Mustipher needs to go. 

I think Jenkins showed some real talent in the last year, but if we draft the best interior guard in the second, I'll have no problem with that.  

On 12/21/2021 at 10:40 AM, Madmike90 said:

One thing I do wish the media would stop doing when it comes to Leftwich is acting like he has all these links to Jacksonville...dude played their for 4 season...5 years before the current owners took over...Leftwich is just as likely to take any other job as he is that...and in fairness they gave up on him after that 4th year so I really don't see the huge ground swell for him to end up there.

I get the sense that Leftwich would take any job if offered.

But if he had a choice between Jax and Chicago then his past with the Jags might just give them the leg up, which is fine because I personally think there are better candidates for Bears to choose from.

Not saying I'd hate Leftwich though..

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I get the sense that Leftwich would take any job if offered.

But if he had a choice between Jax and Chicago then his past with the Jags might just give them the leg up, which is fine because I personally think there are better candidates for Bears to choose from.

Not saying I'd hate Leftwich though..

Possibly but I just feel it was such a long time ago that no one who was there when he was is still in charge...

I personally like Leftwich and think his offence would be ideal with Fields...he's up to #3 for me based on that bertical attack & the coaching staff he could be able to bring with him...

1. McDaniels

2. Harbaugh

3. Leftwich

4. Moore

5. Daboll

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Daniels is worth 10 million. He has been very good.

Whitheair is bad. He was solid, but has been bad most of the season.

The young OTs can play.

We need a C and LG.

Whitehair hasn’t been bad IMO, but only adequate which is a downgrade from past years. He’s this year’s Leno - a guy who’s a replacement level starter who is looked at as worse than what he actually is because he’s not good. To be fair Whitehair spent all year between a subpar center and a 39-year old LT too. His contract will dictate that he’s here in 2022 and if he’s here he’s almost certainly playing. Whitehair’s push should be in the form of a draft pick IMO.

As to the money, whether he gets $4M or $10M annually or half way between the two, if the deal is a multi-year deal we can structure it easily enough that it’s manageable in 2022 when our dollar will need to stretch further than in future years after the upcoming cap spikes. You could very easily do a 3 or 4 year deal where year 1 is half the AAV. I mean, Trent Williams got 6/138 this past offseason and his year 1 cap number is $8.1M, just 35.6% of his $23M AAV. 4/30 could very easily be something like 3.5/10.5/7/9 against the cap. 

On 12/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, Madmike90 said:

There is no doubt Leftwich would completely change the concept of the offence...

Pass Completions of 20+ Yards...

2019 - Bears - 29th in the NFL with 39 - Bucs - 1st in the NFL with 75.

2020 - Bears - 25th in the NFL with 42 - Bucs - 3rd in the NFL with 67.

2021 - Bears - 24th in the NFL with 36 - Bucs - 2nd in the NFL with 58.

How much of this relates to the Bears not being able to block those plays? Would Leftwich be able to run that offense here?

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

How much of this relates to the Bears not being able to block those plays? Would Leftwich be able to run that offense here?

Interestingly enough Aaron Lemming had a tweet that showed the Bears have a pass protection win rate of 66% which is good for 6th in the NFL...now there is no doubt we would need to upgrade the centre position and either resign Daniels or draft someone else but I think everything works together in an offence...teams crowd us and are happier to blitz because they know our guys are running 5-8 yard hooks 80% of the time...you have a vertical offence and all those defenders are backup up...teams aren't as brave to blitz...no doubt we would need some receivers but we would need that for any scheme.

On 12/22/2021 at 8:58 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Whitehair hasn’t been bad IMO, but only adequate which is a downgrade from past years. He’s this year’s Leno - a guy who’s a replacement level starter who is looked at as worse than what he actually is because he’s not good. To be fair Whitehair spent all year between a subpar center and a 39-year old LT too. His contract will dictate that he’s here in 2022 and if he’s here he’s almost certainly playing. Whitehair’s push should be in the form of a draft pick IMO.

As to the money, whether he gets $4M or $10M annually or half way between the two, if the deal is a multi-year deal we can structure it easily enough that it’s manageable in 2022 when our dollar will need to stretch further than in future years after the upcoming cap spikes. You could very easily do a 3 or 4 year deal where year 1 is half the AAV. I mean, Trent Williams got 6/138 this past offseason and his year 1 cap number is $8.1M, just 35.6% of his $23M AAV. 4/30 could very easily be something like 3.5/10.5/7/9 against the cap. 

This year he has been hovering around average to below average. He is pretty drastically under performing his contract.

Edited by WindyCity

19 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

A lot of it comes down to coaching. Sequencing of plays and timing can really change pass protection.

The Bears are routinely behind the sticks because of play calling.

Nagy loves to run into the middle of the line of 2nd and long, which leaves you in 3rd and long and screwed in pass pro. Take a deep shot on 2nd and 4 and pass pro is much easier.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This year he has been hovering around average to below average. He is pretty drastically under performing his contract.

I don’t disagree, but the vast majority of his work suggests he’s reasonably likely to be a top 15-30 guard in this league or a starting caliber capable center in 2022. That’s where he’s been most of his career, with 2018 slightly above and this year slightly below. We don’t have the luxury of seeking an obvious upgrade from him this offseason, especially since we may be needing to replace the other guard entirely. The contract situation only makes it more unlikely.