Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I am out on wanting a college guy as our next HC.

This is exactly what I was saying a while back. A lot of college coaches are incredible recruiters more than incredible coaches. Getting a bunch of 19-22 year olds to react and play with some technique and know basics of football is totally different than dealing with the nuances that make massive differences in the NFL. Not bashing college athletes but the schemes are as different for many as a BA vs a PhD when you get into complex systems.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, G08 said:

Elaborate on that, because to me it seems like his only success has come with Bruce Arians.

6 years in the league, coordinated the worst offense in the NFL after Bruce Arians left (32nd in points per game).

What has he commanded?

This is my concern also. Leftwich seems like a bright guy but how much can we trust him given the amount of skill that TB offense has without even mentioning the greatest QB ever.

He is an intriguing option though I must say.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This is my concern also. Leftwich seems like a bright guy but how much can we trust him given the amount of skill that TB offense has without even mentioning the greatest QB ever.

He had a few top 12-ish offenses with Winston. Hard to evaluate coordinators with bad QBs. Even the Saints struggled to score points with Jameis.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Who are the coaches putting up decent offenses with terrible QBs?  Give me that guy instead of the guys that had Brady, Rogers or Mahomes. Anyone got any kompromat on Shananahan?

I think Winston kind of fits the bill. Remember he had Winston throw for over 5000 yards and 33 TDs. The 30 INTs is a major concern but even Arians said about a third was due to his receivers and Godwin said about half weren't his fault. I'm not sure how accurate those estimates are but I do remember seeing several bobbles get intercepted and some thows were WAY away from any receivers, even as much as I dislike Winston there was a lot of reasons his numbers were skewed I'm sure.

Plus remember how bad TB's defense was too. He put up 28ppg but also the defense was giving up 28 too. Just like Trestman's first year we had to be super aggressive to stay in games because the defense was going to play like crap. I think that does give Leftwich a fair bit of credibility.

22 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Who are the coaches putting up decent offenses with terrible QBs?  Give me that guy instead of the guys that had Brady, Rogers or Mahomes. Anyone got any kompromat on Shananahan?

Josh McDaniels...

• Like 1

For some reason I have a feeling that our new HC will be Doug Pederson.

And current Raiders Director of Pro Personnel Dwayne Joseph may be his GM as the two worked together in Philadelphia when Pederson coached the team to a SB victory.

I've been hearing the Bears are interested in both these guys so it's hard not to connect the dots.

I for one would be happy with Pederson. He's a good coach who's proven to win at the highest level against one of the greatest head coaches of all time (Belichick) and he has strong connections in this league so you'd have to think this past year off has given him time to assemble his potential staff. Add in the fact that Fields would likely get to keep his current QB coach and guy he's already familiar with in John DeFilippo and it makes sense.

Pederson knows a thing or two on how to take advantage of a player with Fields' skill set. He ran a lot of RPO concepts in Wentz's time with Philadelphia and had him playing at an MVP level before he got hurt.

He also knows the importance of a good OL and how it is the key to the success of the offense. 

I think he got a raw deal in Philadelphia and they had no choice but to part ways with each other.

IMO there are a lot worse options than Pederson that we're hearing of...cough Leslie Frazier cough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

For some reason I have a feeling that our new HC will be Doug Pederson.

And current Raiders Director of Pro Personnel Dwayne Joseph may be his GM as the two worked together in Philadelphia when Pederson coached the team to a SB victory.

I've been hearing the Bears are interested in both these guys so it's hard not to connect the dots.

I for one would be happy with Pederson. He's a good coach who's proven to win at the highest level against one of the greatest head coaches of all time (Belichick) and he has strong connections in this league so you'd have to think this past year off has given him time to assemble his potential staff. Add in the fact that Fields would likely get to keep his current QB coach and guy he's already familiar with in John DeFilippo and it makes sense.

Pederson knows a thing or two on how to take advantage of a player with Fields' skill set. He ran a lot of RPO concepts in Wentz's time with Philadelphia and had him playing at an MVP level before he got hurt.

He also knows the importance of a good OL and how it is the key to the success of the offense. 

I think he got a raw deal in Philadelphia and they had no choice but to part ways with each other.

IMO there are a lot worse options than Pederson that we're hearing of...cough Leslie Frazier cough

Pederson isn't a top guy for me but would be one I could probably talk myself into liking pretty quickly. While I'm not super informed there has been a lot of talk that Reich was the driving force behind Wentz and the offense. The idea of having him and Flip together would be a major plus due to their success together. Flip would be a shoe-in for the OC job.

I'd take him much more happily than Frazier, another Reid puppet, or almost any college-only coach, but to me I don't know if he is the "swing for the fence" option I want. Maybe I've just soured on anyone from the Reid tree.

42 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Pederson isn't a top guy for me but would be one I could probably talk myself into liking pretty quickly. While I'm not super informed there has been a lot of talk that Reich was the driving force behind Wentz and the offense. The idea of having him and Flip together would be a major plus due to their success together. Flip would be a shoe-in for the OC job.

I'd take him much more happily than Frazier, another Reid puppet, or almost any college-only coach, but to me I don't know if he is the "swing for the fence" option I want. Maybe I've just soured on anyone from the Reid tree.

While I'm sure Reich had a lot of positive influence on Wentz's development, the Philly offense wasn't too shabby in 2018 after Reich left for the Colts, and it could be argued that Wentz was on pace for a better season in 2018 statistically then his 2017 all pro MVP caliber season before both got cut short due to injury.

I still don't know how any one can discredit Doug Pederson after he coached the Eagles to their only Super bowl victory in franchise history.

Let's also not forget that Philly has a history of letting good coaches go because their owner ship likes to meddle in day to day football operations. Look no further than them letting Andy Reid go.

Like I said I truly believe Pederson is a good coach and people are simply overlooking him because of the Nagy connection to Reid 

• Like 1