Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

There are usually guys who atleast sound good on paper but this year they don't. All of the names floating around (McDaniels, Daboll, Harbaugh, etc) sound like bad ideas for one reason or another while the more intriguing options (Cambell, Day, Swinney, etc) don't seem realistic.

Fair enough as it's all a matter of opinion.

Though Day is probably more realistic than Harbaugh & McDaniels just because of the connection with Fields and there is a lot of noise out there right now that he could be eyeing a move to the NFL.

44 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Fair enough as it's all a matter of opinion.

Though Day is probably more realistic than Harbaugh & McDaniels just because of the connection with Fields and there is a lot of noise out there right now that he could be eyeing a move to the NFL.

I have a pretty strong suspicion that outside of maybe Harbaugh who obviously has an extensive history in the NFL no college HC is going to the pros this year...1. Too much money floating around college football right now so extentions could be had pretty easily...2. Urban Meyer will have everyone 2nd guessing these guys. 

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
· 6h
Source: NFL owners officially passed the resolution on a one-year trial basis allowing head coaching interviews in the last two weeks of the regular season. Interview requests can go out starting 8 a.m. Tuesday Dec. 28. Employer clubs can deny.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I have a pretty strong suspicion that outside of maybe Harbaugh who obviously has an extensive history in the NFL no college HC is going to the pros this year...1. Too much money floating around college football right now so extentions could be had pretty easily...2. Urban Meyer will have everyone 2nd guessing these guys. 

That's fine because I'm not really a college head coach kind of guy. I'd prefer if our head coach has experience coaching in the NFL. Ryan Day meets that qualification.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That's fine because I'm not really a college head coach kind of guy. I'd prefer if our head coach has experience coaching in the NFL. Ryan Day meets that qualification.

Day only spent 2 years in the NFL...not enough IMO but if it has to be a college guy not named Harbaugh it would be him given the obvious connection...I do agree with you though I would rather a NFL guy than anyone else.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Day only spent 2 years in the NFL...not enough IMO but if it has to be a college guy not named Harbaugh it would be him given the obvious connection...I do agree with you though I would rather a NFL guy than anyone else.

Let me just clarify I'm not really that high on Day as a HC for us but I get why people are bringing him up. In the end I wouldn't be upset if he ended up being the hire but there are others higher on my list.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/14/josh-mcdaniels-has-no-regrets-over-not-taking-colts-job/

McDaniels has received interviews but hasn’t landed a head coaching job. But when asked this week how he’s changed since electing to stick with New England, McDaniels didn’t seem to think he made the wrong choice.

“I think every year I have tried to learn and grow as a coach and as a person. You make decisions in life and in your career that you feel like are the best decisions for you and your familiar, which is certainly what happened then,” McDaniels said, via Ryan Hannable of WEEI. “You move forward and you do everything you can within your power to make those decisions the right ones. That’s what I’ve tried to do every day. I certainly have no regrets about what has transpired since then.

“I know they have done a great job. They have a tremendous staff. Coach Reich does a great job. [G.M.] Chris Ballard is obviously tremendous in his role in what they do in their organization is pretty special. I’ve learned a lot being here. This is a great place to be. I learn from Bill daily, weekly under his guidance. He really challenges me to try and improve each year and I have tried to do that myself. That’s really what any of us can do, but very fortunate to be where I am at and I am looking forward to this week.”

One could argue McDaniels certainly made the right choice, given that the Patriots won the Super Bowl in the 2018 season and Colts quarterback Andrew Luck retired abruptly in Aug. 2019. Plus, the Patriots now control their own outcome for the AFC’s No. 1 seed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
· 6h
Source: NFL owners officially passed the resolution on a one-year trial basis allowing head coaching interviews in the last two weeks of the regular season. Interview requests can go out starting 8 a.m. Tuesday Dec. 28. Employer clubs can deny.

If the Bears fire Nagy, I think that’s a clear signal Pace is staying and selecting the next coach.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Byron Leftwich continues to intrigue me. You might be buying on him a year or 2 early, but he could really be something.

Knows offense, knows QBs, knows good organizations [Pit and TB] and knows crap ones [Jags] and he has commanded the room as a top 10 QB.

Very similar to Kellen Moore IMO and like you said both are probably 2 years away from being fully ready for a HC gig but sometimes you need to buy in early…I would say Leftwich has worked with even more talent than Moore does now in Tampa however he was the OC when Jameis Winston threw for over 5,000 yards…now yeah he had 30 interceptions along with 33 TDs but the fact they were #3 in total offence…#4 in scoring & #1 in passing offence with Winston at the helm shouldn’t be overlooked…especially when their running game was 24th overall…the fact they now have more balance is why that offence is now unstoppable (outside of Brady obviously)…

I would give the edge for creativity and play calling to Moore…overall/coaching experience & the potential staff he could build to Leftwich (although Bowles also getting a HC gig would hurt that).

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Knows offense, knows QBs, knows good organizations [Pit and TB] and knows crap ones [Jags] and he has commanded the room as a top 10 QB.

Elaborate on that, because to me it seems like his only success has come with Bruce Arians.

6 years in the league, coordinated the worst offense in the NFL after Bruce Arians left (32nd in points per game).

What has he commanded?