Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree. A starting unit of James, Bowman, and Morrow is still very workable if the defensive line gets proper attention.

This is the whole point, if we cut Irvin we need to have a plan of who will be our pass rusher to replace him.

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

This is the whole point, if we cut Irvin we need to have a plan of who will be our pass rusher to replace him.

I wouldn't consider Irvin as a part of the defensive line. He's an edge player who doesn't necessarily open things up for linebackers. In Guenther's scheme, I imagine he's adopt more of an off-ball role (think Anthony Barr) which would effectively make him more of a linebacker and less of an edge player -- which defeats the purpose of having him on the roster.

24 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I wouldn't consider Irvin as a part of the defensive line. He's an edge player who doesn't necessarily open things up for linebackers. In Guenther's scheme, I imagine he's adopt more of an off-ball role (think Anthony Barr) which would effectively make him more of a linebacker and less of an edge player -- which defeats the purpose of having him on the roster.

Like it or not his absence would leave a hole on the defensive line as we would have no-one as an edge pass rusher other than Mack. So if we cut him we need to have an idea of who can replace him as a pass rusher. Don’t understand why it’s so hard to fathom.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

In any scheme, he's a pass rusher in the nickel. And since we're more often in the nickel than the base...

2 hours ago, holyghost said:

Low guess. I don't see how anyone thinks he won't break the bank. Closer to 5 yrs. 110 mil.

I would guess 20M/year...6yrs 120M...added 5 yrs after his 2018, like we did with Carr...he is due to 13M in '18, so 5yrs 107M...pretty close to your number

nfl.com played some with potential FA's and destinations for them: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916803/article/freeagency-fun-afc-kirk-cousins-to-jets-dion-lewis-to-fins

If Ziggy Ansah hits the FA market he would be a really interesting option for us. He would be a good fit in PG's scheme and he would finally add a bookend DE pair to Mack. I'm not sure whether we can afford a long term deal for him, but if the market is not that hot for him we could be a good prove it deal destination for him or maybe even a solid 3 year deal spot...

If we let Bruce Irvin and Sean Smith walk we could afford him and with him on board we could easily let Bruce walk...

Ansah-Jelly/NT-Edwards-Mack could be a pretty solid DL and with the Ansah-Mack duo our pas rush could help out our secondary a lot.

What you guys think? Pipe dream? Realistic? Should go after him?

24 minutes ago, Rolni said:

nfl.com played some with potential FA's and destinations for them: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916803/article/freeagency-fun-afc-kirk-cousins-to-jets-dion-lewis-to-fins

If Ziggy Ansah hits the FA market he would be a really interesting option for us. He would be a good fit in PG's scheme and he would finally add a bookend DE pair to Mack. I'm not sure whether we can afford a long term deal for him, but if the market is not that hot for him we could be a good prove it deal destination for him or maybe even a solid 3 year deal spot...

If we let Bruce Irvin and Sean Smith walk we could afford him and with him on board we could easily let Bruce walk...

Ansah-Jelly/NT-Edwards-Mack could be a pretty solid DL and with the Ansah-Mack duo our pas rush could help out our secondary a lot.

What you guys think? Pipe dream? Realistic? Should go after him?

Needs to be somebody of Ansahs calibre to cut Irvin imo. 

Same with Smith, needs to be a high calibre guy to replace him given we have cut Amerson as well. 

30 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I disagree. Irvin isn't a good pass rusher and he'd be better served moving exclusively to the second level.

Really depends on which Irvin we get. When hot, he can rack up sacks. When cold, he does nothing. 

That alone suggests motivation and motor issues, which alone makes me want him gone. He's magically putting up sacks and pressures once Norton was fired? Don't like it. 

1 hour ago, holyghost said:

Really depends on which Irvin we get. When hot, he can rack up sacks. When cold, he does nothing. 

That alone suggests motivation and motor issues, which alone makes me want him gone. He's magically putting up sacks and pressures once Norton was fired? Don't like it. 

I don't think motor is an issue with Irvin. I believe the issue is skillset. He's never been the type to get consistent pressure on the Raiders despite being in an ideal role. He doesn't have burst to beat tackles off the line or the strength to push the pocket. He's not the type to consistently get pressure or get sacks early in downs. If anything, his effort gets him 1-2 extra sacks a year.

Honestly, his specialty is setting the edge against the run -- particularly against tight ends -- and dropping into coverage from a stand-up end position.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

You saw him under Pagano? He did pretty well IMO

Yes, and I didn't think he was particularly better. Pagano diversified the fronts more -- which spring Irvin to life a bit -- but I stills saw the same limitations in his game.

22 minutes ago, Dessie said:

4m
After visiting the #49ers on Tuesday, free agent CB Vontae Davis is on a visit with the #Raiders today, source said. Would fill a potential need there

Interesting. 

When he's healthy, he's one of the best man corners in the game. He's been making the rounds so I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Archived