Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

19 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Nobody is saying he is Aaron Donald, my point is all the question marks people had about Donald they are using about Hurst, they are different players, but Hurst will be good in his own right. I had no doubt about Donald and I have no doubt about Hurst regardless of what people think his limitations are.

You're literally contradicting yourself.

Is he worth a top 10 pick? Will he be one of the top 5 3tech's in the game to warrant that high a pick?

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're literally contradicting yourself.

Is he worth a top 10 pick? Will he be one of the top 5 3tech's in the game to warrant that high a pick?

How is that contradicting? I don't have any doubt he will be a top 3tech in the game. People who don' like him are saying the same things about him that they said about Donald. Size, arms, run stopping ability, strength. Dude can play period. Yes he's a top 10 pick and I thought Donald was a top 3 pick so there.

On 2/16/2018 at 1:24 PM, big_palooka said:

https://theathletic.com/242862/2018/02/16/middlekauff-how-will-the-garoppolo-contract-impact-khalil-macks-pending-extension-plus-some-nfl-rumors/

Interesting. 1 year rental on a solid player. Maybe sign and restructure if he's open. Would fix the interior pass rush problem.

I'd much rather have Malik Jackson than Irvin, as much as I do like Irvin.

For those of you who don't subscribe to The Athletic, this is what Middlekauf reported via 247sports.com.

“I’ve heard the new staff likes him, they just want him to take a pay cut.He’s scheduled to make $8.25 million in 2018 and I’m sure the Raiders would like that number to get somewhere closer to the $5 million range. Irvin can take the pay cut or bet the free-agent market will pay more if he is released. No team is trading for that contract, so he really only has those two options…”

This course of action is what I originally advocated for Irvin and it predicts less of a pass rushing role for him. Ultimately, it would be wiser for the team to use the money on a player like Hitchens or Bradham if they become available.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

For those of you who don't subscribe to The Athletic, this is what Middlekauf reported via 247sports.com.

This course of action is what I originally advocated for Irvin and it predicts less of a pass rushing role for him. Ultimately, it would be wiser for the team to use the money on a player like Hitchens or Bradham if they become available.

I don't put a lot of stock in what Middlekauf says. He is on the outside looking in with the Raiders and he has even said in periscopes that most of the people he used for sourcing aren't with the team any more.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

If i'm Irvin, i'm betting on getting more than 5M in FA. He has 15 sacks over the last 2 years and pass rushers are getting paid.

He could probably get close what he's making now from a 3-4 or 4-3 under team. He just doesn't have a lot of value in Guenther's scheme and he isn't good enough of a player to build around.

Plus I think Bradham and Hitchens both stay put this coming year. More realistic options would be Christian Jones or Devon Kennard. I like Tahir Whitehead and Avery Williamson but I think they'll draw around the same money as Irvin is getting now.

7 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Plus I think Bradham and Hitchens both stay put this coming year. More realistic options would be Christian Jones or Devon Kennard. I like Tahir Whitehead and Avery Williamson but I think they'll draw around the same money as Irvin is getting now.

Both the Cowboys and Eagles are tight against the cap -- plus the Cowboys have to contend re-signing Demarcus Lawrence. The Lions and the Titans -- considering their cap room -- would have an easier time signing Whitehead and Williamson, respectively. Further, non-rush linebackers get paid much less than their on-ball counterparts. I suspect Williamson would probably make close to $10 million while Whitehead and the others make less than Irvin is getting now while being 3-5 years younger.

9 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Both the Cowboys and Eagles are tight against the cap -- plus the Cowboys have to contend re-signing Demarcus Lawrence. The Lions and the Titans -- considering their cap room -- would have an easier time signing Whitehead and Williamson, respectively. Further, non-rush linebackers get paid much less than their on-ball counterparts. I suspect Williamson would probably make close to $10 million while Whitehead and the others make less than Irvin is getting now while being 3-5 years younger.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said more realistic options would be Christian Jones or Devon Kennard. I said I like Whitehead and Williamson will make the same money as Irvin is getting. They'll both make between 8-10mil. Irvin is making 8.5.

Plus the Cowboys and Eagles have several ways to massage the cap to resign the guys they like. Bradham is the most likely to not be back with shi team of the two and he may be looking for good year/super bowl pay bump.

26 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Did you even read what I wrote? I said more realistic options would be Christian Jones or Devon Kennard. I said I like Whitehead and Williamson will make the same money as Irvin is getting. They'll both make between 8-10mil. Irvin is making 8.5.

Plus the Cowboys and Eagles have several ways to massage the cap to resign the guys they like. Bradham is the most likely to not be back with shi team of the two and he may be looking for good year/super bowl pay bump.

Why are you so defensive?

Potential cuts of Smith and Irvin creates a combined $16,750,000 in cap space. If the Raiders wanted to sign one of the top 4 -- provided they come available -- I believe they'd be just as realistic options as the lower tier guys.

Why are you so defensive?

Potential cuts of Smith and Irvin creates a combined $16,750,000 in cap space. If the Raiders wanted to sign one of the top 4 -- provided they come available -- I believe they'd be just as realistic options as the lower tier guys.

I'm not defensive. You said things that either need more clarification or made no sense if you read my post which you were replying to.

Of course, if we make multiple cuts, including Smith whos position we'd be filling in this scenario, we can afford upper tier guys.

Archived