Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

14 hours ago, Dessie said:

"If we're fortunate to get Marshawn Lynch back, we need to do a better job servicing him. We gotta have a blocking TE and a fullback”. 

Gruden today. Lee Smith and Olawale on notice I guess. 

To me it is a bit strange that he never named Olawale since he arrived, while he speaked about FB position multiple times...I think Olawale is a really nice fit in his scheme, but he may not feel that way...

12 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders-nfl/raiders/gm-reggie-mckenzie-says-raiders-plan-to-keep-crabtree-lynch/

so McKenzie basically says that Crabtree, Lynch, Irvin will be back, contrary to media speculation... but he doesn't say anything about Sean Smith. that's a pretty glaring omission considering he is the other name speculated to be on his way out. perhaps they're tentatively holding onto Smith until they can secure a free agent replacement?

Gruden intimated Crabtree and Lynch will be back in his presser, but nowhere in that article does Reggie "basically say" Irvin will be back. Irvin is still up in the air.

49 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Gruden intimated Crabtree and Lynch will be back in his presser, but nowhere in that article does Reggie "basically say" Irvin will be back. Irvin is still up in the air.

Media is reaching for a story. Both Reggie and Gruden were noncommittal IMO. Sang some praises, but didn't go as far as saying they are coming back definitively. 

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

To me it is a bit strange that he never named Olawale since he arrived, while he speaked about FB position multiple times...I think Olawale is a really nice fit in his scheme, but he may not feel that way...

He wants a true blocking FB. I don't think that means doom for Olawale, who has a versatile skillset and offers value as a short yardage back. Remember. he had Jon Ritchie and Zack Crockett on the team and utilized them both to perfection.  

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

He wants a true blocking FB. I don't think that means doom for Olawale, who has a versatile skillset and offers value as a short yardage back. Remember. he had Jon Ritchie and Zack Crockett on the team and utilized them both to perfection.  

Just me but you think the team will carry two fullbacks seems unlikely 

I know we all hate him, but thoughts on Aqib Talib? Gruden did draft him in Tampa.

Trumaine Johnson is our #1 target according to reports, but he is going to garner possibly the most lucrative contract for a defensive player this FA period. Looking at the secondary options should we miss out on Johnson, Talib is one of the better corners that should be available.

from Gruden

“I like Bruce Irvin. I know Bruce Irvin,” Jon Gruden said earlier Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. “I like him because he plays. If you look at play time, the amount of percentage of snaps, he’s out there all the time. He played through a back problem early in the season, and I really think he’s playing a difficult position because he’s really an edge player, and when you ask him to play over the tight end or over the offensive tackle at his size, he can get beat up.

“But I think he’s still a very good pass rusher. I think he plays with good effort. We just need to get him some help so that he can do the things that he does best more often.”

doesn't sound like a guy they're about to let go

Just now, raiderrocker18 said:

from Gruden

doesn't sound like a guy they're about to let go

I hope we keep Irvin. I was very vocal about him not being worth his contract last year, but then I saw how he played under a real DC in Pagano. He took off and finished very strong.

I think Irvin does alot of things well, and a DC like Gunther will find a way to utilize him.

McKenzie, who has remained in the background since Jon Gruden was named head coach, had a light-hearted message for Bay Area media Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

“You want Marshawn to go away. Y’all are getting rid of Crabtree, getting rid of Bruce,” McKenzie said with a chuckle. “You’re running everybody out of town. We’ll just have Derek Carr and a few linemen. Y’all getting rid of everybody. We want to keep our good players, put a winning product on the field.”

this is what i was referring to. McKenzie seems to be brushing off rumors of Lynch, Crabtree, Irvin being shown the door, but he doesn't mention Sean Smith...

10 hours ago, Rolni said:

Can you imagine Lynch with a FB leading the way though. I don't care what anybody say he ran hard and Gruden look at this team as last season was an anomaly and will tweak the offense with most of the same guy's.

13 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Can you imagine Lynch with a FB leading the way though. I don't care what anybody say he ran hard and Gruden look at this team as last season was an anomaly and will tweak the offense with most of the same guy's.

Lynch is 32. He can't sustain a full season of carries IMO. He will breakdown. Can't rely on Lynch to be the every down back at this stage of his career.

Will Jon get him to buy in? Show up to meetings on time, etc? That is what I'm more concerned with. 

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

For all you old-timers out there who were around during the Gruden days, what types of WR does he covet?

Old ones :D

Hard to say, but I'd imagine he covets guys like Crabtree - the ones with that can make the tough catches in traffic. He was gifted Tim Brown and then Jerry Rice, but couldnt do much with rookie Jerry Porter or one-note speed threat James Jett. Probably would have a better idea of what he likes WR-wise by looking at what Tampa did

58 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Lynch is 32. He can't sustain a full season of carries IMO. He will breakdown. Can't rely on Lynch to be the every down back at this stage of his career.

Will Jon get him to buy in? Show up to meetings on time, etc? That is what I'm more concerned with. 

Dude it's one more year. he wants to win in the Bay, He didn't show any signs of breakdown last season and that's after not even playing for a year and a half, and that's not saying don't draft a running back early, I wouldn't before the 3rd round though, unless we can get our hands on Barkley or Guice. 

Guy's I like in the 3rd or later..

Kerryon Johnson

Kalen Ballage

Royce Freeman

Rashaad Penny

Archived