Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

I am getting more intrigued by Harbaugh by the minute. 

really the only way this works is if Harbaugh is tired of being ruler of his kingdom. Running a football program is exhausting. The coaching aspect is minimal compared to the recruiting and now with the transfer portal, the constant continued recruiting of keeping players that you thought already have committed. 

i can see him saying, I’m done with this, let me go back to my passion and that’s coaching and you kwesi, handle the roster and personnel with everyone’s input. 

it’s way less stressful and allows for better organizational “alignment”

if he’s committed to that, there is no way he’s not the best choice, especially with the rumored staff he would bring over. 

If Jim is hired I'm more concerned about how long he wants to do it then how much power/control he wants, if KAM signs off im sure roster control was discussed and Jim would be on board with collaboration but I'm looking for a 10+year coach so if he doesn't see himself coaching that long I want a young assistant on the staff with the plan to groom for the future.

7 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

If Jim is hired I'm more concerned about how long he wants to do it then how much power/control he wants, if KAM signs off im sure roster control was discussed and Jim would be on board with collaboration but I'm looking for a 10+year coach so if he doesn't see himself coaching that long I want a young assistant on the staff with the plan to groom for the future.

No matter who we hire,  we'll more than likely be looking for a new coach in 4-5 years.  I feel like Jim would give us the best chance to win it all in that time frame

10 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

We all have this desire for a 10+ year coach but the reality is that rarely happens. He was at Michigan for 6-7 years. If that happens with the Vikings that’s highly successful. Teams need to operate in 3-4 year windows and increments. Anything beyond that is just wishful thinking. 

NFL Media reports that a pair of teams are interested in talking to Kevin O’Connell about their head coaching vacancies this week. The Vikings have interviewed O’Connell once and they’d like to have a second conversation with him about the job. The Jaguars would like to have their first interview with O’Connell.

O’Connell’s first interview with the Vikings came before Kwesi Adofo-Mensah was hired as the General Manager. The two men were both in the 49ers organization in 2016 and Adofo-Mensah also worked with current 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans, who is also reportedly on the list of candidates the Vikings want to interview a second time.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/30/reports-jaguars-want-first-interview-vikings-want-second-with-kevin-oconnell/

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The more minutes that go by, the even less I'm intrigued...and I've never been intrigued.  I want nothing to do with Jim Harbaugh.  

The more reports that I see just calling it an “exploratory phone call”, the less I see it happening. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

The more reports that I see just calling it an “exploratory phone call”, the less I see it happening. 

Agreed.  I think the whole thing was sort of orchestrated by Harbaugh to get more money out of Michigan.  And I'm sure it was just talking about old times in SF and Stanford (Harbaugh was the coach at Stanford when Kwesi was getting his masters).

What are the chances that a Jim Harbaugh hiring could turn into another Urban Meyer situation.  The league has changed a lot since Harbaugh was last a coach here no he likely won’t be able to get away with treating the players like children like he didn’t with the 49ers.

Just now, Kparty15 said:

What are the chances that a Jim Harbaugh hiring could turn into another Urban Meyer situation.  The league has changed a lot since Harbaugh was last a coach here no he likely won’t be able to get away with treating the players like children like he didn’t with the 49ers.

Little chance of that.  Urban had absolutely no experience with NFL level players.  Harbaugh was one.

33 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This, to me, is the most exciting thing about Jim. 

True, especially Vic Fangio but honestly I would rather have Vic Fangio as the HC than Jim Harbaugh.  Jim is a college guy and should stay as a college guy.  Could say arguably Mike MacDonald his former DC has more pro HC talent and upside than Jim does.  

Jim's enthusiasm gets old after awhile and does not work in the NFL.  He is not as good of a X and O guy compared to his brother Jon and not as good of a leader.  

The lack of HC talk about Brian Flores is disturbing.  That dude can coach, almost hope Todd Bowles gets a job somewhere also.  

There is no way a guy like Kwesi hires a guy like Jim Harbaugh but will see.  Odd thing is he is the reason he was brought in because they had a relationship when Kwesi was with the 49ers.  The 49ers success is the roster they built though not so much Jim Harbaugh because it has improved since he left and they are still a very good team.

Edited by Ozzy

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, especially Vic Fangio but honestly I would rather have Vic Fangio as the HC than Jim Harbaugh.  Jim is a college guy and should stay as a college guy.  Could say arguably Mike MacDonald his former There is no way a guy like Kwesi hires a guy like Jim Harbaugh but will see.  Odd thing is he is the reason he was brought in because they had a relationship when Kwesi was with the 49ers.  The 49ers success is the roster they built though not so much Jim Harbaugh because it has improved since he left and they are still a very good team.

After Jim left in 2014 they didn’t have a winning season until 2019.

• Like 1