Bears Coordinators and Assistant Coaches Search/Interviews

GOGRIESE

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Kmet slots into the Tonyan/Higbee role. Which at this point is a reasonable high-end outcome for him.

Higbee 2021: 61-560-5 (15 games)

Kmet 2021: 60-612-0 (17 games)

Outside of the relative lack of red zone usage (Graham is gone now) he’s not far from Higbee now.

Kmet isn’t a star after 2 seasons but we shouldn’t act like he’s not a useful player. I’m actually pretty bullish on year 3 Kmet (and I disliked the pick in R2 and have been lukewarm on him basically since he got here). Once he and Fields got some chemistry his usage and production noticeably spiked. 

Kmet first 3 games with Fields as starter (W3-5): 11 targets, 4 catches, 39 yards

Kmet final 6 full games with Fields as starter (W6-9, 14-15): 39 targets, 27 catches, 291 yards

Kmet final 6 full games with Fields’ production rate, extrapolated across a 17-game sample: 110 targets, 76.5 catches, 824.5 yards

I think it’s totally reasonable (and even probable?) we see an overall jump from Kmet in 2022. I’m not saying he’s going to all of a sudden be Ertz or Kelce, but we should see more IMO.

Now, clearly we need more in the red zone. That’s my biggest concern with Kmet right now. He’s got to be an asset in goal to go situations. But, I expect his usage in the RZ to go up significantly with Graham now gone, meaning we should see more TD-wise just based on opportunity. Plus, GB uses their TEs in the RZ as well as anyone, so I’d expect to see more success there because of Getsy coming on board as well. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Higbee 2021: 61-560-5 (15 games)

Kmet 2021: 60-612-0 (17 games)

Outside of the relative lack of red zone usage (Graham is gone now) he’s not far from Higbee now.

In raw stats, yes. But when you adjust for targets, Higbee is still a better player:

Higbee 2021: 71.8% CTCH, 6.6 YDS/TGT, 4.6 YAC/R

Kmet 2021: 64.5% CTCH, 6.6 YDS/TGT, 4.1 YAC/R

I don't think the difference is huge between the 2 players. But I also don't see a lot of potential for Kmet to become more than he is right now. And that's OK. If LA/GB are any model for the Bears' new offense, then the TE role will be more of a complementary player.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

In raw stats, yes. But when you adjust for targets, Higbee is still a better player:

Higbee 2021: 71.8% CTCH, 6.6 YDS/TGT, 4.6 YAC/R

Kmet 2021: 64.5% CTCH, 6.6 YDS/TGT, 4.1 YAC/R

I don't think the difference is huge between the 2 players. But I also don't see a lot of potential for Kmet to become more than he is right now. And that's OK. If LA/GB are any model for the Bears' new offense, then the TE role will be more of a complementary player.

That’s essentially what I said - that Kmet and Higbee aren’t far apart. Higbee is a solid starter and so is Kmet. Solid starter given Kmet’s draft position is a disappointment for many people though, which is fair, but also doesn’t acknowledge that he’s a pretty decent (if not difference making) piece in current form. And he’s still just entering his age 23 season. He’s just a pup.

My optimism for Kmet stems more than anything from him being more productive with Fields than without. There seems to be trust there. I don’t see Kmet ever being at an elite Kelce/Kittle/Gronk level as a receiver, but Mike Gesicki maybe? I don’t think that’s out of the question at all. 

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

My optimism for Kmet stems more than anything from him being more productive with Fields than without. There seems to be trust there. I don’t see Kmet ever being at an elite Kelce/Kittle/Gronk level as a receiver, but Mike Gesicki maybe? I don’t think that’s out of the question at all.

Kmet doesn't have the athleticism to be Gesicki. He doesn't move that well. That's why I see his ceiling as more of a Kyle Rudolph/Tyler Higbee type. His best chance at reaching that ceiling is to become a better blocker and catch the ball more consistently.

• Like 1

Daniel Greenberg

@ChiSportUpdates

·

35m

Sean Desai is no longer with the Chicago Bears. 

Desai was with the Bears since 2013. He started as a defensive quality control assistant then got promoted to safeties coach and then got promoted to be the defensive coordinator.

45 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Kmet doesn't have the athleticism to be Gesicki. He doesn't move that well. That's why I see his ceiling as more of a Kyle Rudolph/Tyler Higbee type. His best chance at reaching that ceiling is to become a better blocker and catch the ball more consistently.

I’m not talking about Gesicki as an athletic comp. Their skill sets are unquestionably different. I’m talking production. Gesicki was 73/780/2 last year. Kmet can be 2021 Gesicki production-wise IMO. We’re talking about a 13-catch jump here which is hardly crazy especially because Kmet is still so young. Their catch percentage was basically the same last year (65.2% for Gesicki, 64.5% for Kmet).

We’re splitting hairs here a little. I’d put Gesicki right around 8-12 in terms of TEs, and Higbee somewhere 10-15 league-wide at the present time. 

47 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Daniel Greenberg

@ChiSportUpdates

·

15h

The Chicago Bears are going to need a new running backs coach. 

The Atlanta Falcons hired Michael Pitre.

They announced awhile back all former bears coaches are going to be gone.   They are keeping no one.

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They announced awhile back all former bears coaches are going to be gone.   They are keeping no one.

I was hoping the timing of guys going would be linked to the new guys being announced but apparently not...hope we push on with this soon.

• Like 1

Daniel Greenberg

@ChiSportUpdates

·

4h

The Chicago Bulls have hired Nicolas Hobbs as a player development associate.

Hobbs played college basketball at 

the University of Iowa and his stepdad is Chicago White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams.

37 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Daniel Greenberg

@ChiSportUpdates

·

4h

The Chicago Bulls have hired Nicolas Hobbs as a player development associate.

Hobbs played college basketball at 

the University of Iowa and his stepdad is Chicago White Sox executive vice president Kenny Williams.

Ah yes, can anyone tell me how I can become biologically related to the right people in order to land one of these desirable sports jobs?

• Like 1