Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I want 11-6 and the 5th seed again. Followed by 13-4 and a division title the second season. My expectations are HIGH. And why shouldn’t they be?

Mahomes is still in this division. Little unrealistic imo to have such expectations in year 2 against the leagues premier QB twice a season. And that's not counting 2 games again Herbert each year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Mahomes is still in this division. Little unrealistic imo to have such expectations in year 2 against the leagues premier QB twice a season. And that's not counting 2 games again Herbert each year.

You’re expected success quick in this league, competition isn’t really an excuse. So it should be year 4 before he wins the division, because of “competition”? Just, no. 

• Like 2

I have no doubt McDaniels will improve our offense, and I like the idea of having an actual structure in place between the GM and HC, which we haven’t had in… forever?

I do think there are a lot of red flags with Josh though. There’s the obvious ‘Patriots Way doesn’t work’ argument, there’s the fact McDaniels himself is questionable in terms of leadership, and we’ll have to wait and see what kind of staff he puts together. He’s also not coming here for cheap - he was on $4m in NE and will definitely be getting comfortably more than that.

I would love to be proven wrong and this to really work out, but I think considering we’re going to be paying Josh a very decent salary and all the other uncertainty, Harbaugh was the better choice in so many ways. And JH was practically begging us to hire him. I just hope that’s not a huge mistake.

One thing I will say, the talking heads seem to be very, very positive about this hire. Lots of media love which completely goes against fan opinion. We’ll see if they’re right.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Think about all the variables that we had this year.

That's true but like I said I feel like they were a fraud of a playoff team based off of talent.  We could very well see a lot of roster turnover based on the scheme and philosophy of Jm and Ziegler.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is honestly a misguided take. Every season is different. The schedule will be a much harder next season for one. The Raiders 6 wins in walk off fashion are not sustainable and they are not going to get gimmie covid games again in December. 

It’s simple if we have a better GM and coach combo and we went to the playoffs this year with an inferior combo(including with all the nonsense that happened along the way) we should be able to go to the playoffs again. 

Now do I think they can do it? Of course! In fact, I think they should. But anything less than that is justification.

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That's true but like I said I feel like they were a fraud of a playoff team based off of talent.  We could very well see a lot of roster turnover based on the scheme and philosophy of Jm and Ziegler.  

But that’s the point I’m making: if we already had a coach that was getting them to play above their ability then the answer to that I should just get a better GM. if we end up getting another coach, that coach better perform to either at the same level or above the level of the previous coach.

This is not gonna be a rebuild so this move was made to get us to the next level. i’m treating it as such. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re expected success quick in this league, competition isn’t really an excuse. So it should be year 4 before he wins the division, because of “competition”? Just, no. 

Putting a record to it and expecting him to unseat the Chiefs in the Division with an inferior roster and QB is questionable. 

The Raiders have A LOT of holes on the roster. I expect to see marked improvement in offensive efficiency. Improvement in the running game. Carr and other core players to be elevated. Better discipline. Team to bee competitive week to week and consistency in all phases. 

Keep perspective. Mayock/Gruden left the roster empty with high end talent missing on dozens of draft picks. There is work to be done here. 

My expectations may change based on what they do this offseason. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Putting a record to it and expecting him to unseat the Chiefs in the Division with an inferior roster and QB is questionable. 

The Raiders have A LOT of holes on the roster. I expect to see marked improvement in offensive efficiency. Improvement in the running game. Carr and other core players to be elevated. Better discipline. Team to bee competitive week to week and consistency in all phases. 

Keep perspective. Mayock/Gruden left the roster empty with high end talent missing on dozens of draft picks. There is work to be done here. 

Just for clarification, I’m not saying that they need to win the division they just don’t need to be going backwards(especially with seven teams going to the playoffs from each side now)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

But that’s the point I’m making: if we already had a coach that was getting them to play above their ability then the answer to that I should just get a better GM. if we end up getting another coach, that coach better perform to either at the same level or above the level of the previous coach.

This is not gonna be a rebuild so this move was made to get us to the next level. i’m treating it as such. 

I agree but I am also thinking long term here.  Mayock and RB are not long term answers even if they took this team to the playoffs.  The roster still lacks depth and has a lot of holes to fill.

Are you suggesting we pull the plug on a 9 and 8 season where we miss the playoffs?  I would be disappointed but I believe it will take two to three years to really see what we have in JM and DZ.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree but I am also thinking long term here.  Mayock and RB are not long term answers even if they took this team to the playoffs.  The roster still lacks depth and has a lot of holes to fill.

Are you suggesting we pull the plug on a 9 and 8 season where we miss the playoffs?  I would be disappointed but I believe it will take two to three years to really see what we have in JM and DZ.  

That’s the part I actually do understand. I’m just saying my expectations are high. And yes I would be disappointed at 9-8. Mcdaniels didn’t take the job so he could rebuild. He took the job because he knows he already has a quarterback and is inheriting a team that made the playoffs despite complete dysfunction. So it wouldn’t make any sense to go backwards if He thinks he can win now. 

and I do like DZ And the moves he made in the off-season last year when he got a chance

Edited by Jeremy408

Another thing I just thought about - who are we getting on SNF at home to open the season this time? Patriots, Colts and Broncos all in play here.

Would have been guaranteed 9ers in Vegas if it was Harbaugh. Quite a few more options available for the McDaniels link!

34 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Another thing I just thought about - who are we getting on SNF at home to open the season this time? Patriots, Colts and Broncos all in play here.

Would have been guaranteed 9ers in Vegas if it was Harbaugh. Quite a few more options available for the McDaniels link!

If Rodgers goes to Denver, then Denver vs LV SNF is the Week 1 premiere almost guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's an interesting roster. High end talent and holes at the same time. Hoping Ziegler can maneuver well.

40 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why are we so ****ty?

The team hasn’t even officially announced JMD signing his contract.. Yeah, everybody knows the writing on the wall and I’m sure coaches/staff don’t live under a rock... Plus, as they are probably all under contract, can the GM look over, potentially interview said staff before giving them their walking papers? I mean it’s only been hours and one guy is official and the other one isn’t yet. 

Sure, I wouldn’t mind if Gus and most the defensive staff stuck around, but I also think we can get better than the non blitzing/prevent style D GB ran as well.. But if he thinks Mayo is ready to be a DC or he can get Flores or Graham to be his DC, then I won’t mind either.. 

Gonna suck to see Rich B go even from his previous role as ST coordinator, but you can’t have the players showing so much support for one guy and then having rumblings throughout the locker room if we don’t start the season off well.. 

Wasn’t Vic just saying the other day to pump the brakes on the McDaniels talk? Now he’s gonna try to bash the org when the ink on McDaniels contract may not even be dry!!

Edited by JarrodR86
  • Like 1