Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

As most of you I also have mixed feelings.

I think he is a great O mind and I think our Offense should be a good one under him.

I think he has the network to make a solid coaching staff and I think our D won't be a mess like before Gus. Actually I hope our D gets better even.

My big question is whether he can be a leader? Whether he can get and keep the locker room together?

The other question mark for me is whether he let his GM work? 

He will fail if he tries to be BB. Gruden tried and failed, he tried in Denver and failed, basically BB is the only guy to do it that way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolni said:

I think he is a great O mind and I think our Offense should be a good one under him.

I think he has the network to make a solid coaching staff and I think our D won't be a mess like before Gus. Actually I hope our D gets better even.

My big question is whether he can be a leader? Whether he can get and keep the locker room together?

He will fail if he tries to be BB. Gruden tried and failed, he tried in Denver and failed, basically BB is the only guy to do it that way. 

i think he tried BB first go round and now he has to be JMD.. DC hire big

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Good luck. I would not be surprised if the Raiders have a top 5 offense next year

What's his OL scheme like? PBS or ZBS? We have a stud at LT in Miller and a potentially decent option at C with James,  however our LG, RG and RT suuuuuck. Also does he use a FB?

26 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Engram is drop city.. hard pass.. not wasting resources in TE when we have 2 capable ones. give me Wr 

engram aint it

Moreau and Engram are not on the same universe as receiving TE's.  Moreau is not the answer as a 2nd TE and I believe Engram can be signed at a relatively inexpensive deal.  NE has utilized two TE very effectively and Engram would be a big upgrade over Moreau. 

Another TE to kick the tires on is OJ Howard.  He could come in on a 1 year prove it deal for cheap and see if he has anything to offer.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Moreau and Engram are not on the same universe as receiving TE's.  Moreau is not the answer as a 2nd TE and I believe Engram can be signed at a relatively inexpensive deal.  NE has utilized two TE very effectively and Engram would be a big upgrade over Moreau.  

I agree that we can get a better 2nd TE than Moreau but I don’t think Engram is that guy. He is extremely injury prone and has lots of drops. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I agree that we can get a better 2nd TE than Moreau but I don’t think Engram is that guy. He is extremely injury prone and has lots of drops. 

I don't disagree with the drop and injury issues but I am not talking about breaking the bank for the guy.  I am saying sign him on a 1 or 2 year cheap deal to see what he can do outside of NY.  He is a threat with the ball in his hands, that is when he catches it lol 

OJ Howard, Njoku and Hurst would be interesting to kick the tires on as well.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Absolutely this. I have no fears about Josh McDaniels ability to game plan and call plays - in fact even past critics have conceded that they were never more prepared for a game than under McDaniels. However, I have two main worry beads...

1. In Denver, JMcD lost the locker room, now that was 10 years ago and people change but has he learned the lesson of what went wrong and changed his approach as far as being a leader of men. I know this sounds like a Bisacchia meme, but being that guy players will run through a wall for is a key part of coaching.

2. I am worried for the defense...not only who is going to be DC and what scheme we play, but also our defense showed a pulse last year for the first time in forever, and many of our acquisitions were made with Bradley and his defense in mind...Ngakoue, Philon, Jefferson, Thomas, Perryman, Deablo, Facyson, Heyward etc. Can they thrive in the new scheme, do we need a major defensive rebuild (example if we go heavy man 2 man, can our predominantly Zone Corners get it done?). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't disagree with the drop and injury issues but I am not talking about breaking the bank for the guy.  I am saying sign him on a 1 or 2 year cheap deal to see what he can do outside of NY.  He is a threat with the ball in his hands, that is when he catches it lol 

OJ Howard would be interesting to kick the tires on as well.  

O.J. Howard and David Njoku are the two that I would have my eye on in FA. If they aren’t signed in the 1st week, we may be able to get them for a reasonable 2-3 year deal. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This is what I have been talking about and why I am so bullish on the move.  The HC/GM combo is critical in the success of any franchise and this hierarchy scheme has been in place for years.  It is much more difficult to pair a GM/HC who hardly know each other.