Raiders hire Josh McDaniels as HC

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What's his OL scheme like? PBS or ZBS? We have a stud at LT in Miller and a potentially decent option at C with James,  however our LG, RG and RT suuuuuck. Also does he use a FB?

Power. I think the Raiders will need upgrades on the OL. Miller is huge though for all those tosses and screens he runs.

FB is being used very frequently.

If the Raiders can find upgrades on the OL there his offense can be humming though and the running game takes the pressure off Carr. Don't be surprised by an OL heavy draft for this.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What's his OL scheme like? PBS or ZBS? We have a stud at LT in Miller and a potentially decent option at C with James,  however our LG, RG and RT suuuuuck. Also does he use a FB?

NE definitely uses a FB and at a very high rate.  Last year they had Jakob Johnson and he played 28% last year and 37% of the  offensive snaps.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnJa12.htm

They also tend to carry 4 RBs.

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

Power. I think the Raiders will need upgrades on the OL. Miller is huge though for all those tosses and screens he runs.

FB is being used very frequently.

If the Raiders can find upgrades on the OL there his offense can be humming though and the running game takes the pressure off Carr. Don't be surprised by an OL heavy draft for this.

Yeah, NE uses power man blocking but likes to pull  their G’s, mainly Shaq Mason.

I think that’s a good system for Leatherwood and Good but not James.  I question if James really fits a Power Man Blocking scheme.

29 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, NE uses power man blocking but likes to pull  their G’s, mainly Shaq Mason.

I think that’s a good system for Leatherwood and Good but not James.  I question if James really fits a Power Man Blocking scheme.

Leatherwood would have to think a lot still when pulling and trapping so he wouldn't suit it 

6 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Leatherwood would have to think a lot still when pulling and trapping so he wouldn't suit it 

The guy isn’t an invalid.  I don’t think he’s incapable of hitting the targeted LB.  He was good at getting to the 2nd level.  Rookies often struggle And leatherwood did.  Not a big deal, he’ll rebound.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Can’t wait to see the excuses if we go 5-12 and people are in fully-defend McDaniels mode. 

This.

i’ve been pretty vocal about how whoever we get if it’s not Bissacia we better not go backwards(which is why I wanted Harbaugh). And the patriots coaching tree has a track record of taking teams and going backwards. Not saying it’s going to happen here because of the fact that I think The Raiders have a lot of the pieces of what mcdaniels likes to do on offense. But we better not go backwards

2 minutes ago, Totty said:

Not this guy.  It needs to be 10-7 or better to justify this.  

I want 11-6 and the 5th seed again. Followed by 13-4 and a division title the second season. My expectations are HIGH. And why shouldn’t they be? We have a somewhat above-average roster, with an apparent offensive genius rockstar Head Coach. McDaniels isn’t here for a rebuild, and Mark Davis wasn’t searching for a rebuild. 

I’m all in on McDaniels now. I’m a fan of the Raiders. I will even give him leeway to mistakes. But at the end of the day, the end-result better be as I mentioned previously. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Can’t wait to see the excuses if we go 5-12 and people are in fully-defend McDaniels mode. 

I will wait to speculate on how we will do until after FA and the draft but I do agree that we need to make the playoffs or worst case be very close.  

I just can't stomach another FA period of trash signings and a draft with 1st round reaches.  I highly doubt the draft reaches will occur under Zeigler and I would assume we will be more attractive to FA's fresh off of a playoff appearance and a highly regarded O mind as our new HC.